Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old and quick beats young(er) and slow every day of the week (and 3 times on an Ironman Sunday) :blush:

Old yes, fast not really.

To the seasoned pro's here, please help us noob's out a bit.

When will be your last LSD Run and ride and of what distance?

Will a 35km Run on 31 March and the next day 1 April a 20km  Run (Both very slow) then the next day  2 April 150km Bike ride be advisable?

#1028   not finishing anywhere near that time :whistling:

On our training program next weekend 17-18 Mar is our longest distances Run 25-30 cycle 150-180.  LSD Cycle comes down about 30-50km so around 100-130 and run down about 5-7km to around 20km the following week. Then follows similar drops the weeks that follow.

Edited by Davey_Jones

Was thinking about getting my wife one of the VIP spectator packages.

Mother buffer... just saw the prices;

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/south-africa/spectators/vip-packages.aspx#axzz59FVxP6RI

These boys are not shy on their pricing....

Might need to think a bit longer

Not worth it. Save the cash. My wife has a great time between chilling on the beach, going to a movie, sitting at Barneys etc without giving IM more money.

Maybe we should set up a partner meet so they can hook up if they want to on Sunday. Let’s face it for long periods of the event it’s boring for them.

4 weeks...

DYPtnCaW4AAvdR8.jpg

Paul Kaye: "Stunning view from the Boardwalk Hotel of the pier that in the second week of April will have all the Standard Bank and IRONMAN flags flying from it. The view that gives IM athletes instant butterflies".

4 weeks...

DYPtnCaW4AAvdR8.jpg

Paul Kaye: "Stunning view from the Boardwalk Hotel of the pier that in the second week of April will have all the Standard Bank and IRONMAN flags flying from it. The view that gives IM athletes instant butterflies".

I stay in the road lodge just next to boardwalk. Best place to be over the weekend.

Some advise from the experienced Ironman campaigners please? This will be my 1st Ironman and would like to know what the watertables are like?

What do they serve at the watertables in terms of food and drink on the bike and run leg? Is it necessary to take your own food? And own endurance drinks?

I heard you get a extra back which you leave somewhere on the course where you can stash some food should you want to?

Some nutrition strategies for the day please?

What and where do you leave food?

Thanks in advance.

Some advise from the experienced Ironman campaigners please? This will be my 1st Ironman and would like to know what the watertables are like?

What do they serve at the watertables in terms of food and drink on the bike and run leg? Is it necessary to take your own food? And own endurance drinks?

I heard you get a extra back which you leave somewhere on the course where you can stash some food should you want to?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Louis.

The aid stations are well stocked up. I'm pretty sure that High5 are on course again this year with their gels, bars and drinks, so you shouldn't need to take any of that stuff. You might want to take a bit of solid food with you on the bike though.

All of the information of what is served at each table is available in the athlete info guide. Give it a read.

You are given 2 Special Needs bags. One for the bike, and one for the run. You can access your bike bag at the end of the first loop. Put a few odds and ends in there that you think you may need half way through the bike. Whatever you don't take out of that bag during the race will be thrown away, so don't put anything of high value in there.

Your run bag can be accessed at the end of the second run lap, put some pain killers, salt tabs and a thin longsleeve t shirt in here (it gets cold once the sun goes down), Once again, anything left in this bag will be thrown away after the race.

Thanks in advance.

Most of what you ask will be available in the Athletes info guide including the aid station layouts.  IMSA website under Athlete says guide will be available 3 weeks prior to race... so soon.... think there will be emails saying guide is available.  Study it as it's your first.

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/south-africa/athletes/athlete-info-guide.aspx#axzz59nS1JWmG

Aid stations, have water, High5 drinks and gels, coke, and food in general. 

On the bike (as you would do for a long training ride) you take your nutrition and drink with and then top up as and when you need at any of the aid stations.

There are 2 special needs bags (if required), 1 for the cycle and 1 for the run and used on the second lap (there are special areas where you leave theses bags) where you can stop and replenish with certain foods if you need or other items.   

If you are expecting a long day out especially on the run then it is worth considering putting some warm lightweight clothes (arm warmers, t shirt) in the run special needs bag which you can put on as once the sun goes down and if the wind is up it can get quite chilly when you are tired and fatigued.  Just a note, if you do not use the special needs bags then whatever is in them goes to charity and you do not get them back..... so would not put any expensive rain jackets in them. 

As for race day nutrition, you should already have a pretty good idea of what you require and should be already practicing on your long run and rides..... if not... WHY NOT!!! 

As for storage, on the bike (bento bag) on top tube and shirt pockets (if you have), food in your T1 and T2 bag to grab a bite and something to eat as you change and then the aid stations on both the bike and run legs should you need.

As for me, I have food and drink in my T1 and T2 bag. 

I take all food/energy bars and 2 bottles for the cycle leg, I do not stop for food and grab replacement bottles on the fly as I need.  I do not bother with the special needs cycle bag as I have sufficient nutrition and drink for the cycle leg. 

I do use the special needs run bag which generally has a t shirt and arm warmers in case the weather changes or I am cold.... last year I did not use it.

On the run, drink and eat at the aid stations as required.

Edited by shaper

So, exactly 30 days to go... is it too late to start training ????

Some seriously humbling hours being logged on the Give it a tri Strava group, kudo’s to all and good luck with the (all too few) training days that are left

Edited by Craai

Thanks in advance.

Totally agree with the comments above.  Remember the golden rule. Nothing new on race day, dont make the race the first time you try any of the High 5 Stuff.  you dont know how your bosy will respond especially under strain.  You should be using that stuff already if you plan to take any of it on in the race. 

Otherwise play around with food,  I'm currently trying out baby potatoes (quite heavily salted) and bacon and peanutbutter sandwiches (game changers).  You have to have to try these out on your long rides to see how your body responds and also just to see if you can actually get things in. Some people struggle to take solids in and have to rely on gel or semi solids foods, some cant do gels at all.

you still have a little time to practise your nutrition but do it now.  High 5 is available in single dose packages at dischem, the bigger packs/tubs can get rather expensive.