Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

I am getting a little frustrated with my swimming. I have never been a "swimmer" or had any coaching, so when I started, I had to self teach. I am comfortable in the water and enjoy swimming. There are plenty resources online to help, but I am not sure what my issue is. I am averaging 2:14 per 100m over around 400m. For long distances I settle into a 2:28 per 100m in the pool. Since Feb, I have managed to shave off around 20 seconds off my long distance pace, but that is due to increasing fitness and fixing form issues. Now I have just hit a wall and feels like no amount of drills or time in the pool will make me faster at this stage. FWIW, I have 4 pool sessions a week: long swim, tempo swim, aerobic swim and a high intensity swim. I do drills with fins, paddles and a kickboard.   

Garmin Connect says my stroke rate is 20 per minute. I take it that this is actually the stroke rate for one arm? So that would put me on the low end at 40 spm. Before I go spend a lot of money on swim masters or swim analysis, I would like to try fix this myself (want to save up for a TT bike). 

So I suspect it's my stroke rate that's causing my lack of progress. Anyone have any insights? 

my suggestion would be spend the money for one hour with a coach and get them to analyse your stroke, go away for a few weeks and practice then go back for another session to see if it's still improved. I did one short session with a triathlete years ago and it made a huge difference

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a little frustrated with my swimming. I have never been a "swimmer" or had any coaching, so when I started, I had to self teach. I am comfortable in the water and enjoy swimming. There are plenty resources online to help, but I am not sure what my issue is. I am averaging 2:14 per 100m over around 400m. For long distances I settle into a 2:28 per 100m in the pool. Since Feb, I have managed to shave off around 20 seconds off my long distance pace, but that is due to increasing fitness and fixing form issues. Now I have just hit a wall and feels like no amount of drills or time in the pool will make me faster at this stage. FWIW, I have 4 pool sessions a week: long swim, tempo swim, aerobic swim and a high intensity swim. I do drills with fins, paddles and a kickboard.   

Garmin Connect says my stroke rate is 20 per minute. I take it that this is actually the stroke rate for one arm? So that would put me on the low end at 40 spm. Before I go spend a lot of money on swim masters or swim analysis, I would like to try fix this myself (want to save up for a TT bike). 

So I suspect it's my stroke rate that's causing my lack of progress. Anyone have any insights? 

As much as I want you to rather save for a killer bike.. I think some lessons would be a good idea.

I'm a youtube and internet self-taught swimmer and its been as frustrating as I think you're feeling. Everyone is an expert. So I think some hands on advice would be gold. I've been debating the same thing with myself.

you said stroke rate , hehehe beavis and butthead laugh

But seriously, download a book called swimsmooth and once digested maybe a swim coach for a few sessions as advised above is sound advice.

Good luck.

Just remember, a 2:28 long distance is a sub 95 minute IM swim, not out of the ballpark.

you said stroke rate , hehehe beavis and butthead laugh

But seriously, download a book called swimsmooth and once digested maybe a swim coach for a few sessions as advised above is sound advice.

Good luck.

Just remember, a 2:28 long distance is a sub 95 minute IM swim, not out of the ballpark.

... and you will be a lot faster in the ocean (saltwater + wetsuit).

Edited by DA\/ID

As ICM said, take a look at the swimsmooth website, videos and online tuition.

Consider looking at your technique especially with regard to body roll and catch to get faster.

If you are happy that your technique is ok/good.... then consider a few swim analysis sessions with a coach to look at the finer points.

Have had a good month swimming. So far I've done 48km this month. Longest straight pool swim has been 4km and longest total pool session has been 5km (4x1250m) Unfortunately only 1 open water swim but going to langebaan this week end and joining 2 locals there for a swim around the island. Will be 3-3.2km and water temperature hopefully 13 degree.

My only worry is that the water level in the gym pool is dropping significantly and soon we won't be able to swim there. On one extended under water pull this morning I clipped the bottom of the pool. I completely agree with them not filling the pool up but soon I won't be training as much, oh well 

Edited by mon-goose

Nice distances there. Can't you train at a gym instead? 13c is pretty cold as well, even in a wet suit... You are very dedicated. I won't even get into water that is below 18c. 

I could do the gym but need to get cold ocean water time and distance in. I've done 2km at 14 degrees and it was fine so we'll see

Tonight I smashed a 1,000m straight set at 2:17/100m and felt fresh when I finished. Have not changed much except I started doing a lot more sets with paddles and have been focusing on upper body strength. Feeling a lot more positive about my swimming again. Maybe by year end I could see 2:00/100m. 

Tonight I smashed a 1,000m straight set at 2:17/100m and felt fresh when I finished. Have not changed much except I started doing a lot more sets with paddles and have been focusing on upper body strength. Feeling a lot more positive about my swimming again. Maybe by year end I could see 2:00/100m.

Well done, be careful on using paddles too much and for too long if you have not built up upper body strength... build up distance over time..

well done, you'll definitely be able to hit 2m/100 by the end of the year

managed to meet up with two guys in langebaan for a swim around the island. The tide was low and I swam the more direct route so ended up about 2.8km (was hoping at least 3km) The water was great. Started out a bit cold in the channel but warmed up, at least it felt warmer. The other guy swimming recons it varied between 12 and 14 degrees for the swim.

A huge thank you to David for offering to paddle for me and Anton for joining the swim.

If you're ever in the langebaan area I'd suggest you make contact with the swimmers there and go around the island. Very friendly and helpful

104th Robben Island to Cape Town swim crossing -no wetsuit. 2h27m.  :eek:

Edited by DA\/ID

104th Robben Island to Cape Town swim crossing -no wetsuit. 2h27m.  :eek:

That's a pace of 1:58/100m. Impressive without a wetsuit. 

I'm sure Theo doesn't pay what the average person pays. But if I wanted to do 104 crossings with Derrick at big bay events it would cost over R230k