Correlation between Rim Width and Max Tyre Width

FrikkieMeyer87

http://i.imgur.com/PJiIu8l.png

I would grab two of the 2.2's. Mountain Kings offer decent amount of grip and are fine to run front and rear. With some luck and patience the pair could land here for around R600. Good deal imo. 

What sorcery is this?! Where is that shop?

THIS is the cheapest I've found locally. It's the Mountain King II Protection 26x2.2 which have reinforced sidewalls afaik, but that price you're quoting is amazing!  :eek:

Is the OP not running tubeless? I'm assumimg this because his existing tyres are Maxxis UST.

Yup I am running tubeless and will endeavor to continue to do so

THIS is the cheapest I've found locally. It's the Mountain King II Protection 26x2.2 which have reinforced sidewalls afaik, but that price you're quoting is amazing! :eek:

Chain reaction cycles. Ie manna from heaven

THIS is the cheapest I've found locally. It's the Mountain King II Protection 26x2.2 which have reinforced sidewalls afaik, but that price you're quoting is amazing!  :eek:

Hang on. These are the older wire bead variety.

Tubeless kopseer....

Hang on. These are the older wire bead variety.

Tubeless kopseer....

Hmm, not so much.

Lets face it how often do you take the tires off to top up the stans (other less good sealant)?

I do mine every 3 to 6 months, and at 6 to 9 months the tires are finished anyway, so use the valve core removal thingy and top it up there.

Other than that the only other issue could be the weight because even non-tubeless tires run awesome as tubeless. Naturally discounting the sidewall slash possibilities if you ride like a box.

So why not go that cheap route if you are not a racing snake?

Although personally I'm not really a Conti fan I just saw this on Evobikes which seems like quite a sweet deal

Continental X-King 26 x 2.2 Pure Grip Tubeless

In stock

R 450.00

RRP: R 795.00 Save 43%

continental_x-king_mtb_tyre_-_puregrip.j

I think the point of wide rims is to run bigger volume tires without tire roll and burping?

Getting 2.1's to fit a 30mm ID rim is going backwards.

Backwards is the new forwards, is it not?

Backwards is the new forwards, is it not?

Its like a retro progression?

We take what is proven and then just disregard it because, well, dam!

Although personally I'm not really a Conti fan I just saw this on Evobikes which seems like quite a sweet deal

Continental X-King 26 x 2.2 Pure Grip Tubeless

In stock

R 450.00

RRP: R 795.00 Save 43%

continental_x-king_mtb_tyre_-_puregrip.j

Yeah I saw and liked these too, but if it's not the protection version the sidewalls are rather flimsy as far as I could read, and it's not screaming "grippy" when I look at it compared to say the Trail King, which looks like it's meant for some wet and wild trails.

I'll just stick to my CrossMark's for now. That semi-continuous center line is a bit miffy but it can still go a bit until I find (and can afford) the perfect tyre :D

• 1 year later...

This is a great article.

Think it points out quite well that there are optimal tire width vs rim width.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rim-widths-comparison-test-mountain-bike.html

30mm rim +- (max) 2.4inch tyre

35mm rim > 2.4inch tyre

I know its not very scientific but one of the best rim width articles I've read.

Erm, except it doesn't actually say THAT. 

A 2.35 magic mary is bigger than a 2.5 Maxxis WT.  So it depends on the tyre's measurements. Unfortunately, one cannot rely on the width rating to determine how big it is, as each company has a different measurement method. 

2.6 Spaz is about the same as a 2.5 WT, and about the same as a Mary 2.35

2.6 Maxxis is only ever so slightly wider than a 2.35 Mary... 

The answer, therefore, is "it depends"

Erm, except it doesn't actually say THAT. 

A 2.35 magic mary is bigger than a 2.5 Maxxis WT.  So it depends on the tyre's measurements. Unfortunately, one cannot rely on the width rating to determine how big it is, as each company has a different measurement method. 

2.6 Spaz is about the same as a 2.5 WT, and about the same as a Mary 2.35

2.6 Maxxis is only ever so slightly wider than a 2.35 Mary... 

The answer, therefore, is "it depends"

Did you happen to read my last sentence about it not being very scientific...

Did you happen to read my last sentence about it not being very scientific...

I thought that was in reference to the article, seeing as that was the 2nd part of your last sentence noted?

Anyway. It depends on the tyres actual width, profile and shape. Not as simple as your assertion of 2.4 this and that.

If I misunderstood your post, my bad.

Edited by Cptmayhem

This is a great article.

Think it points out quite well that there are optimal tire width vs rim width.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rim-widths-comparison-test-mountain-bike.html

30mm rim +- (max) 2.4inch tyre

35mm rim > 2.4inch tyre

I know its not very scientific but one of the best rim width articles I've read.

It is a good article, but it really just proves the old adage - "everything in moderation". My HT is 26" with 23mm ID rims. Schwalbe Magic Mary and Rock Razor tyres in 2.35 look and work perfectly well on those wheels with heaps of grip. The same cant be said for the finicky 2.6 tyres in 27.5 on 30mm rims on my other bike. Those work in a far tighter air pressure range and are prone to squirm if under inflated even a bit.  

All I take away from this is that you are fine with 30 - 35mm, don't go 40mm and the decider - ride what you've got and don't bother going wider for the sake of it. 

• 1 year later...