SRAM XO Eagle, worth the buck? 7k to replace the cassette...

Kyle Badger

It is all relevant to what you want and what you are willing to spend for it. Yes - R7k for a cassette is silly... but do you really have to pay R7k? 

I'm all for supporting my LBS - especially on stuff where you need a warranty - but a cassette? Hell no...

We live in a global economy - so look around. Just did a quick search and found this in Germany (yes, they still ship Sram to SA)

• Chain - 36Euro @ R14,46 = R520 (then add vat at 14%) = R592,80
  • Cassette XO1 Eagle - 247,62 Euro @ R14,46 = R3,566 (+VAT) = R4062

Does it last longer? Definitely - I have close on 4000km on my cassette and it is still perfect.

Honestly - I found that it gives me that one bail-out gear that I was missing on the 1x11.

Do you need it, probably not? 

Do you want it, of course!

And which shop would this be? PM me please, if you feel the need, or post it here for everyone to see

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worth it

How much do you love your bike and look at it with pride

Life's too short to ride 2nd choice components on your baby ????

Just raise your maintenance levels

Do they stock the full groupset in gold though?

What happens if they dont have the gold chainring in stock?

X0 is silver... Damn roadies..

Those cassets last longer, a lot longer

That is a wide open statement....depends on how and where you ride, how often you change the chain, how often you clean the chain, how often you clean the drive train, how you manage your gears. Looking at the price per cassette you can have 2.6 (7000/2700) XT cassettes for one XX1 Eagle. So the question is, will the XX1 last 2.6X as long? I do not know, maybe hubbers can give some feedback.

I have no problem with the groupset. If you want it and can afford it or if you are a pro sponsored ride then get it but to get it if you cannot afford it (finance it for instance) I think is silly. There are more cost effective options, always consider your needs vs your wants a guru once told me. 

I bought the e thirteen 9-46. Very happy with that. Nice wide range for every obstacle you can encounter...and less expensive...

Fully agree! Great range, nice & light and cheaper than Eagle. Also, you can keep your 1x11 shifter and derailleur

yes Baas, my vibe too

I tried xt 1x11 but struggled up some of the steepest Durbanville hills climbs. Went back to my xx 2x10 setup and loving it. Cassette lasts 2 seasons and can pick up great quality replacements without breaking bank.

I guess I am really old school.... I don't care that I am not keeping up with technology especially when I ride past the guys pushing their 1x11 and 1x12 setups up the climbs... and I am an old oomie.

I am sure that it wont be too long before you can get 3rd party cassettes Ala 11 speed,  lets hope that this happens to 12 speed as well. Maybe this will force SRAM's hand in revising their price point on the 12 speed items.

one has to ask, if 1 x 11 was still all the rage and everything you needed a year and a bit ago, what is wrong with it now all of the sudden?

And as others have said on this forum, if you're not going to put anything bigger than a 34/36T chainring on then what's the point really.

I'd rather have a compact 12 speed cassette - maybe 10-46, with smoother transitions between lower gears.

personally 1 x 11 @ 32 x 10/42t works very well for me on my trail bike.....then again a 32 x 12/36t also used to work for me a long time ago, when I was much fitter :P

personally 1 x 11 @ 32 x 10/42t works very well for me on my trail bike.....then again a 32 x 12/36t also used to work for me a long time ago, when I was much fitter :P

Exactly the combo I'm using, and I'm already what you can classify an "old fart"  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Hot on the heels of SRAM’s crazy Eagle 12 speed cassette, Shimano has just unveiled the frankly insane 14 speed cassette, shifter and mech combo at their high-end XT level.

That’s FOURTEEN. One, Four. 14!

As you know SRAM recently released the formidable 12 speed Eagle drive train, abolishing the front mech and setting themselves as the forward thinker in the transmission world.

But in a slightly uncharacteristic move Shimano has pulled off a hell of a move.

We knew their recent silence wouldn’t last.

April fools joke my bad :ph34r:

almost as funny as the price of a new eagle cassette :P

I upgraded my drivetrain to XO 12 speed when my XX 11 speed cassette needed replacement. After I sold all my XX1 goodies and imported my eagle directly from the UK, the upgrade cost me just R2000.

I also upgraded my front ring from a 32 to a 36 thus gaining a lot on the top end without sacrificing anything on the climbs. I use a rotor Q ring and not the eagle ring.

In my experience thus far it was definitely worth it. The new 12 speed chain seems to last a lot longer than the 11 speed ring. In turn this also causes the cassette and chainring to wear slower which would mean it will last longer than what the XX components lasted. I clean my drivetrain on a very regular basis as I don't have the cash to replace drivetrain components every 3 months.

If it will last twice or three times as long as 11 speed I cannot say, but I am happy with the upgrade. Hopefully by the time the cassette needs replacing they have launched the X1/GX range at half the price.

Archived