Team Transfers and Rumours 20/21

Cav'

I find it weird that this is a anticlimax? Has anyone sat back and thought:

Burgos have a solid race calender

Won stages at Vuelta Etc along with other big Spanish races.

Maybe with that, Willie goes to the team as a looked after rider, gets freedom, picks his calender and has support instead of being that support and a all over calender?

Does it matter who his agent is? No, Was he in talks with other teams? WT? Yes, but just cause a team is PC doesn’t mean it’s a step down. PC teams were ahead of Katusha and DD this year overall in rankings. Are they also a let down if riders signed for them?

There some PC teams I would work for before some WT teams.

Get behind the rider and personality and wish him well instead of telling him you all disappointed cause he is racing his bike at the highest level and has a job where some SA riders don’t. It beats coming back home and selling tubes at Cycle lab.

I think it is a fantastic move for him.

Solid team with solid financial support and most certainly a better move than if he had gone to DDD or whatever they are now.. let's face it they are only WT on paper.. that's it.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And still no news on Bennett for the 2020 season. Wonder what the back story on that is as the reports said it was because he'd give a handshake to Bora at the begining of the year. 

Other key riders (officially) without a team for 2020: 

- Cavendish 

- Chaves

- Rohan Dennis

- Jan Bakelants 

- Sasha Modolo

- Impey

- Tubby Betancur

- Brambilla

- Amador

- Adam Blythe

- Petr Vakoc

- Julian Vermotte 

- Alex Dowsett

- Nils Politt

- Alex Howes

- Peter Stetina
- Ian Boswell

- Jaco Venter

- Harry Tanfield

Then the TDD retirement village of Cummings & Eisel. 

Edited by T-Bob

Willie Has signed with Burgoss, As you would see above.

Twitter seem to be happy about his signing more than others.

He seem to be one of the more likable riders in the peleton. His Youtube channel might be part of the reason why.

But I am also wondering where Impey is going but can not see MS letting him go.

Corendon Circus is a Pro Conti team and look at the waves they made this year.

If Willie is given the freedom to race then there is nothing stopping him at Burgos. 

Good on ya fella, hopefully we will see him in a few breaks at The Vuelta in 2020 and growth in his confidence and career from being a protected asset.

If Willie is given the freedom to race then there is nothing stopping him at Burgos. 

Good on ya fella, hopefully we will see him in a few breaks at The Vuelta in 2020 and growth in his confidence and career from being a protected asset.

Happy for him, if he's riding for them and there were other offers then it's going to be the best thing for him and his career. No one actively makes k@k decision.

Just a shame we won't be seeing him in the European early season and the other GTs as Burgos don't really get that many invites to the bigger races outside of Spain, especially ones with tv coverage. 

Edited by Yo-Yo

I am a great admirer of Willie and will always be no matter what team he rides for.

His life story touched my heart and I wanted him to reach the top.

I am happy he has a contract for 2020 and can stay in Spain

My disappointment comes with his managing agent.

Couldn’t they get a higher ranked UCI team. Or have closed the deal with the WT team he was referring to in his utube video.

With the new rules only 2 wild card teams will be invited to a grand tour.Burgos BH are the 4 ranked Spanish team. The DD development team are higher ranked on the UCI rankings even though they are only a continental team. Our local protouch is only a few placings behind BurgosBH. I’m sure he will light up the races and we will see him again in a WT team. Good luck Willie !!! Have a successful and safe 2020.post-40951-0-50144600-1571923374_thumb.jpeg

Corendon who? Oh you mean the cyclocross team that keeps needing to add riders as mvdp gets invited (and wins) to bigger road races?

I wouldn't use them as an example on what is possible with a pcs team.

Edit: in 2018 they did just 15 days of racing(with 8 victories!)....https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/corendon-circus-2018/program

Edited by Shebeen

Corendon who? Oh you mean the cyclocross team that keeps needing to add riders as mvdp gets invited (and wins) to bigger road races?

I wouldn't use them as an example on what is possible with a pcs team.

Edit: in 2018 they did just 15 days of racing(with 8 victories!)....https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/corendon-circus-2018/program

not very good, they/he lost 7 times 

I see Vermote has left TDD and headed over to Cofidis. Apparently he's super excited to be given a leadership roles at the classics after a 2 year break from racing.  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

AG2R pick up Harry Tanfield which is a left field choice for him and interesting from them as well. Good to see he managed to keep on a WT team after Katusha folding / merging / what is happening there with ICA??