Canyon Direct

Cycleboy7

So I'm interested in this one:

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-slx-disc-9-0-sl.html

For you clever duty okes, what would this cost landed here? And what would be the best and safest way to get it here?

Taking a chance on this disc thing with racing, but to be honest. If they don't let me race it, then so be it.... VETs take themselves too seriously in any case.

Then from a duties point of view, I have two questions.

If I buy it, ship it to our London office, get it built up, ride it a few times there and bring it back to SA in a bike bag, would I attract duties? I suspect I might.

So my other question is hypothetical. If a friend of mine in the UK buys a bike, he rides it a few times, and then I buy if from him, it would be second hand. Surely then I wouldn't attract duties?

Don't know if it's the same, but I built a bike and flew back to SA with it from the USA. Collected my bike bag at OR tambo and walked straight through nothing to declare.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These Canyons are pretty good value for money. Definitely on the short list for my next bike, when that day comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if it's the same, but I built a bike and flew back to SA with it from the USA. Collected my bike bag at OR tambo and walked straight through nothing to declare.

Haha, well done. That can also go wrong though and then test your skill in storytelling to avoid duties and the fine for the bike ;)

Haha, well done. That can also go wrong though and then test your skill in storytelling to avoid duties and the fine for the bike ;)

unless hypothetically you leave SA with a bike ( an old smaller wheeled version) and returned with it refurbished after picking it up from my parents in uk.

Have had this thought many a time . But only a thought ????

Edited by Pikey

Based on how many people enquire about this topic (and I know this goes against Canyon's direct sales policy, so spare me that lecture) I see a potential business opportunity in bringing these bikes in on some sort of scale.

How difficult would it be for Canyon to simply sell to SA? It's not like they'll be going to any extra bother or cost. They just transfer all the postage insurance etc on to the buyer. Will make warrantees a lot simpler too. 

How difficult would it be for Canyon to simply sell to SA? It's not like they'll be going to any extra bother or cost. They just transfer all the postage insurance etc on to the buyer. Will make warrantees a lot simpler too.

I have had some things needed to be replaced etc etc.... and they are really amazing at. No issues

They did ship to SA but due to damages and theft they stopped.

When i was looking for a new mtb i went to loads of shops with some helpful and some just rude.Some not even offering test bikes.

Canyon had a roadshow and i tested a few bikes and really liked them.Staff were very friendly and know their products well :clap:  :thumbup:

From the time i clicked buy to the delivery was 2 days and they sent me an email asking if i was satisfied with my purchase and buying experience.

Other bike companies need to wake up and be worried about Canyon because they have a good thing going.

For you clever duty okes, what would this cost landed here? And what would be the best and safest way to get it here?

Taking a chance on this disc thing with racing, but to be honest. If they don't let me race it, then so be it.... VETs take themselves too seriously in any case.

If I buy it, ship it to our London office, get it built up, ride it a few times there and bring it back to SA in a bike bag, would I attract duties? I suspect I might.

So my other question is hypothetical. If a friend of mine in the UK buys a bike, he rides it a few times, and then I buy if from him, it would be second hand. Surely then I wouldn't attract duties?

Nice bike that :clap:  :thumbup:  :drool:

If it's a 54cm ship it to me and i'll bring it over for you....... just not sure when though :whistling:

They did ship to SA but due to damages and theft they stopped.

When i was looking for a new mtb i went to loads of shops with some helpful and some just rude.Some not even offering test bikes.

Canyon had a roadshow and i tested a few bikes and really liked them.Staff were very friendly and know their products well :clap: :thumbup:

From the time i clicked buy to the delivery was 2 days and they sent me an email asking if i was satisfied with my purchase and buying experience.

Other bike companies need to wake up and be worried about Canyon because they have a good thing going.

Many many South African bike/spares (importers definitely inc) related companies could do with a lesson in customer service from canyon.

Checking to see if you are happy & satisfied with your purchase 1st class. But should be Common practice.

The General level of complacency & laziness is sooooo frustrating it makes you want to go out side SA to buy.

I CANNOT Support companies who treat you like you owe them for doing there job and work paid for.

To hell with the cost and everything else that goes with it. If the service received from the overseas company dealt with is exemplary then it's a no brainier.

SA companies/importers that instill confidence are few and far between .

Edited by Pikey

I was actually in Germany 2 weeks ago to pick up my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0

I found it cheaper to fly there than importing it.

i was also lucky that i got the bike a week before the rand/euro went through the roof.

Wish i could upload a photo but for some reason i cannot get the website to upload images.

BUMP, could some "duties expert" help with the "if I had to import 100% normally cost"?

Dont they ship directly here?

I need to understand the worst case. From there you can start weighting up the "what if scenarios".

BUMP, could some "duties expert" help with the "if I had to import 100% normally cost"?

Dont they ship directly here?

I need to understand the worst case. From there you can start weighting up the "what if scenarios".

yo dude

Full bikes attract a 15% duty, plus VAT & ATV. 

So it'd be cost x 1.15 x 1.154

As for your other option, I think you would. But not 100% sure. And British VAT is 20%... 

Steps as follows:

change delivery destination to UAE (there is no option for SA).

A reduced price (- 19% EU tax) will show.

Add bike to basket.

Bike guard and shipping will then be automatically added to the final price.

Take this price (in US dollar) and multiply with 15.4% (duties)

Then take this price and multiply it again with 14% (tax)

This will then be your final price.