Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

PS! Was good to meet Lurch at the start line. Hope your leg held out?

Good meeting you as well.

Couldn't hold with my bunch (or anything coming after that either) so solo'd most of it.

I finished in 3:21, opted to not go in for the second lap and went to visit the physio's. Leg held up ok (not great, but ok) so as much as I wanted to, I decided it wasn't worth aggravating the situation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done everyone! 

Looking at the results:

• Approx 1895 went sub-3 in 2017
  • Approx 2350 went sub-3 in 2016

Note: 2016 did have a higher number of overall finishers.  

First 94.7 done! managed a 3:16 from I. I'm not sure I will ever buy a road bike but if I ever win one I will keep it.

It was a great experience and I will try borrow a bike again to do next years  :clap:

I got the exact same time as last year according to Racetec - 2h41:40. Exact. Odd that, but with the start brought back it was ever so slightly longer so all good.

I joined the Trek Troopers sweep team and that was eye opening to say the least. By Woodmead there were folk in need of medics. Along the highway it was a trail of cramps and flats. We kept to the back just ahead of the sweep vehicles and it got worse along Witkoppen into Malibongwe up to Cerdar and into Steyn City. Picking folk up and pushing them through from being stone last to a few places up. The size of some people riding is unbelievable. What makes them think they can ride this event and finish it is beyond me. But some did and with our help they finished. I saw tears and pain in Steyn City. Push a 100kg person to the top of the Steyn City climb, turn around go back down and pick up another, repeat.each.and.every.climb.

When you are normally at the sharp end of the field to witness what we did yesterday and help people along to finish was a very humbling experience

Yesterday I learnt not to take my fitness and condition for granted.

My 14th done. As old and jaded as I have become over the years, basically just grumpy my wife says, I still enjoy the day out with so many people riding and spectating! I mean is there anything better than full road closure, really?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Did'nt even make the start line. Rear hub seized on the ride from Leaping Frog to the start line. :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Well done to all those finished. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I really enjoyed the day out on my Bomber, helped a few guys along the way and would like to apologize to the guy that I cut off when going for the Tequila, sorry man.

What an awesome 947 - my first one - 2h55-- whoop whoop stoked - was such a rad blast , fast and furious--- sic slick times

How old are you Kyle?

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

Was my 13th I think, really enjoyed the morning out despite zero biking fitness... luckily running helps a bit. Did 4:20 odd on my mtb, the knobblies definitely eat the legs a little more, but I got it done despite some close calls with quad cramps towards the end. 

Great vibe on the route, sure starting to look like a good party for the supporters

Waterpoints were great, warm'ish beer at the finish an absolute disaster (I demand a refund!!!)

Same time same place next year, hopefully fighting fit and back on a roadbike - I thought I wouldn't miss her, but man I do  :blush:

they seeded me off of my 2015 cycle challenge result. Which makes ZERO SENSE to me since I have far more recent results to be seeded off of. To say I am ticked off is an understatement. B boys. Hope you are ready for a sub 2:25 cause I ain't resting till I'm on the wheels of those A's right where I was meant to be. Further more they ADMITTED to me there was an error at the expo today but they could not help me because all the A numbers were gone.

At least I don't have to deal with crud like this next year when I start racing Elite. Blegh and good riddance to racetecs rubbish system.

Did you catch the A bunch?

EDIT: Never mind, saw your other post... Well done

My first 94.7, started in B and I came in with a 2h48... It was a suffer fest of note though.

Quite chuffed with the result as I haven't been training properly since the argus disappointment.

Definitely doing it again next year

Also big up to the organizers, this event was well planned

Wow that sounds like it was torture, well done for finishing.

Maybe it was an unlucky 13

Hope you recover quick and there is nothing serious wrong or injuries

Ha Ha! Maybe it was the unlucky number 13! Thanks for the well wishes, but fortunately I am ok. Muscles still sore this morning and I have decided to take a day off from work to recover properly. After all, I have 90 days of accumulated sick leave available..... :whistling: 

I really enjoyed the day out on my Bomber, helped a few guys along the way and would like to apologize to the guy that I cut off when going for the Tequila, sorry man.

Oh dam was that you on the bomber. The orange/gold one?  Pretty sure I saw you a couple times.

Blast from the past that bike.

Didn't reach my sub-3 target. not sure where it all went wrong because I had put enough training hours and prior races were good. Ohh well, we will try again next year..I was highly disappointed and angry last night. I will take a long break and start again in Jan, hopefully sub-3 will come.

The worst climbs are at the start,takes me ages to warm up. And by then,the race she is done .

Nearly got taken out by a guy in Steyn city coming down through the traffic circles , he drifted to the outside and almost squeezed me against the barriers . A few more cm’s and we both going down . He had lost control and am sure he fixated on the wall. I leant into him and we both avoided crashing somehow, more ass than class i’m sure.

He was very apologetic there after. Those downhill roundabouts are fast and if you over cook it and panic . Well it could be eina.

Raced VB and ended up with a 2h26 , next year I think im going to try a Qubeka buffalo and donate it back with just under 100km worth of testing .

Archived