E-bike Strava chasers

Quagga

Not sure how it happened as the "ride" time was 719 hours 19 min and he started it on 22 July 2016 but it only uploaded today(well I got the notification today)

Probably a device sitting in a bag that ran out of charge eventually (although that is a long time) - maybe he only connected it today to upload it

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Patch, 

Fortunately their is no anonymity with this, I have met Jaco a few times (whether he remembers me or not) and we are both using our real names.

I dont live in 'ville, so meeting him on route is tricky.

I just get frustrated because guys bleed out their ears for those KOM's and then someone straps on a motor and spoils everyone fun.

Maybe it is a publicity stunt for his product, however swak it is.

For clarity sake, next time please start your post with 'he is a knob head' or 'you are a knob head' as i am not sure which one it is.

Thanks!

Sorry man, the e-biker is :)

Yes, I know the frustration. We had/have an eBiker here in our area too, and I too have busted many a lung trying to and sometimes succeeding in getting a KOM.

This eBiker would then blitz them on his daily commute to work, after a very civil chat on Strava he realised that he could save his rides as eBikes rides and that he would not effect the Strava boards. Problem solved, your guy however seems to know what he is doing.

I think that he is doing it to attract attention to his strap on motor thing? Gorilla marketing....

Seems that some people take their Garmin's on a normal work day drive and record it as a ride, or are they just ignorant when the data is this WRONG?

This person got 12KOM+ on one ride. There is HR data but the speed is totally wrong. 

Doing 92km/h up the back of Tiekie draai?

Surely you can yourselft there is something wrong with the data if you DID do a ride and hide it ?

Sample

https://www.strava.com/activities/1038112963/overview

Another point of consideration

You fall your guava off while out on a ride. You lie there in a semi state of consciousness, and your buddy gets you collected and sped off to hospital to attend to your broken arm. You are wearing your HR monitor on your arm, and the buddy at this stage didn't worry to turn off your Garmin...He just wants to ensure you're okay for the next round of beers he's hoping you will be able to share soon.

Eventually you get home and upload your "ride" to see what all went down that fateful day. You are still somewhat deurmekaar, and don't consider all the peeps you're gonna freak out on Strava. Next thing you're being branded a Stravawanker etc.

Not saying this happened, but it could have...

You fall your guava off while out on a ride. You lie there in a semi state of consciousness, and your buddy gets you collected and sped off to hospital to attend to your broken arm. You are wearing your HR monitor on your arm, and the buddy at this stage didn't worry to turn off your Garmin...He just wants to ensure you're okay for the next round of beers he's hoping you will be able to share soon.

Eventually you get home and upload your "ride" to see what all went down that fateful day. You are still somewhat deurmekaar, and don't consider all the peeps you're gonna freak out on Strava. Next thing you're being branded a Stravawanker etc.

Another point to consider, you are out having a good cycle, when the Millennium Faclon swoops down and picks you up, apparently you are their only hope. You get taken to the Dagobah system, where you spend time training and learning the way of the Jedi. You then have a few epic battles with the Empire and save the universe. After which you get taken back and dropped off on earth.

After a few days of cooling down and drinking a few drinks to just collect yourself, you head home, where you wife screams at you for having gone missing for days, and that she was worried sick. You tell her the story, she obviously doesn't believe you, except for the Leia part, and she gets stuck on that. She kicks you out convinced that you had an affair with this Leia.

You move into your own place a few weeks later, get fast wifi and decide to go ride. You turn your GPS on and it uploads to Strava.... Lightspeed KOMS, and people call you a Stravawanker, when in fact you saved the universe and their asses!

Not saying this will happen, but it could....

That is why Strava have this nice crop function where you easily cut out the bit in your buddy's car?

But I do get that there are people out there that just don't understand strava or are ignorant about the fact that recording rides in their car, motorbike etc creates annoyance for others so one should not be too quick to call them out as stravawankers.

But this Veldsman dude is pretty much trolling it, also recall from another thread a dude who logs his rides as a girl to collect QOM's - unfortunately there will always be the minority who purposely spoils it for others.

I have a local resident who posts a lot of rides in his car. He does not appear to ride at all. He did have all the local koms until they were flagged.

That is why Strava have this nice crop function where you easily cut out the bit in your buddy's car?

Ah Awesome!

I never even knew about the cropping tool.

I cycle with an old Garmin Forerunner 25 without a 'multi-sport' mode, which results in all my rides being classified as runs as soon as they are uploaded. At my earliest convenience, I manually change it back to a bike ride.

After the Amashova two years ago, insufficient cellphone coverage prevented me from changing it to a ride. I klapped all the Comrades Down course records with 20+ hate comments within 2 hours.

Instead of "Please change your activity type" comments, I got "Stop being a Doo*", "*ucking cheater" remarks. Touchy people

Everyone knows that the first thing you do when you get to a rider who had a fall is to stop his HRM! It's important to check for any vital signs, but Strava is importanter.

Another point to consider, you are out having a good cycle, when the Millennium Faclon swoops down and picks you up, apparently you are their only hope. You get taken to the Dagobah system, where you spend time training and learning the way of the Jedi. You then have a few epic battles with the Empire and save the universe. After which you get taken back and dropped off on earth.

After a few days of cooling down and drinking a few drinks to just collect yourself, you head home, where you wife screams at you for having gone missing for days, and that she was worried sick. You tell her the story, she obviously doesn't believe you, except for the Leia part, and she gets stuck on that. She kicks you out convinced that you had an affair with this Leia.

You move into your own place a few weeks later, get fast wifi and decide to go ride. You turn your GPS on and it uploads to Strava.... Lightspeed KOMS, and people call you a Stravawanker, when in fact you saved the universe and their asses!

Not saying this will happen, but it could....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75PfHehspU

Ah Awesome!

I never even knew about the cropping tool.

I cycle with an old Garmin Forerunner 25 without a 'multi-sport' mode, which results in all my rides being classified as runs as soon as they are uploaded. At my earliest convenience, I manually change it back to a bike ride.

After the Amashova two years ago, insufficient cellphone coverage prevented me from changing it to a ride. I klapped all the Comrades Down course records with 20+ hate comments within 2 hours.

Instead of "Please change your activity type" comments, I got "Stop being a Doo*", "*ucking cheater" remarks. Touchy people

Same thing happened to me while riding to and around the local trails, I rather just deleted the file before the running mob came to track me down.

You can imagine my face when I first saw 12 KOMs

Same thing happened to me while riding to and around the local trails, I rather just deleted the file before the running mob came to track me down.

You can imagine my face when I first saw 12 KOMs

I can understand someone doing it once by accident, but ride after ride after ride, and some constantly harassing him. Obviously deliberate.

But I do get that there are people out there that just don't understand strava or are ignorant about the fact that recording rides in their car, motorbike etc creates annoyance for others so one should not be too quick to call them out as stravawankers.

But this Veldsman dude is pretty much trolling it, also recall from another thread a dude who logs his rides as a girl to collect QOM's - unfortunately there will always be the minority who purposely spoils it for others.

CLz90V2WIAAnsBh.jpg

This actually happened to me when I broke my pelvis in SCT....I had a max speed of 120km/h on the way to the hospital haha.

As soon as I realised what happened that night I cropped the ride. 

Archived