Info requested SS MTB

Letum911

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always just buy my GT Peace  :whistling:

Thank goodness its a large and has disc brakes, otherwise you would have had your asking price.....

Oh, and to contribute to the thread..........

OP, you seem to have a good idea of the dark side through your ownership of several SS roadbikes, so it doesn't seem necessary to "pull the gears off your current steed to see if you like it...."

Go with an SS specific frame right off the bat. Get a rigid fork, steel makes for a low cost of entry, and ride the hell out of it.

Edited by Flippa

A rigid fork stops the bike from bobbing when you get out the saddle and grind/lever your way up hills.

Probably not essential if you ride up country but in the Cape, climbing with a rigid fork is the business. They can also take a lot more abuse and air time than you think... makes riding zero maintenance and turns that main road chute trail into a super fun joy to ride

There are no hills or mountains "up country", it's all flat here...

There are no hills or mountains "up country", it's all flat here...

hahahahahahahaha I have seen the 34/17 ratio's guys run up in joeys

No way would that fly down here. I am by no means being facetious, just that the spruit and a lot of other places guys frequent are less hilly. 

3) From the guys in the know, does it make a difference to the riding/feel whether you go dedicated SS frame vs std frame with a tensioner?

I prefer chain tensioner especially if you will be doing stage races on it a need to change your ratio after everydays riding. With a tensioner its easier and faster to change sprockets without a fuss, no need to align the rotors with a horizontal dropout or changing the EBB(which change your seat position too). Just my 2c

Hubbers, I'm not sure whether I should be swearing at you or thanking you for being the bad influence you are.

This is going to be an awesome adventure!!!

What are the snags to look out for? Any items that is an absolute must vs what is practical I should look out for?

I was thinking of sourcing some SLX brakes, but I see on the SS thread that many guys run mechanical discs. What is your take on this?

Cranks: SLX (if possible), I love the look of the dual colour!

Wheels: Cheap as chips to start off with.

Cockpit: I'm set on Rapide until further notice.

Tyres: Do you suggest a higher volume front tyre on a rigid?

Hubbers, I'm not sure whether I should be swearing at you or thanking you for being the bad influence you are.

This is going to be an awesome adventure!!!

What are the snags to look out for? Any items that is an absolute must vs what is practical I should look out for?

I was thinking of sourcing some SLX brakes, but I see on the SS thread that many guys run mechanical discs. What is your take on this?

Cranks: SLX (if possible), I love the look of the dual colour!

Wheels: Cheap as chips to start off with.

Cockpit: I'm set on Rapide until further notice.

Tyres: Do you suggest a higher volume front tyre on a rigid?

Brakes: SLX is the Toyota Corolla of brakes. Better modulation, better power than cable discs.

Cranks: Anything that can take a 104bcd SS ring. You can go direct mount, but then you'll be running narrow/wide rings for no benefit.

Wheels: wider rims to support the wider tyres you want to run. Rapide builds pretty good stuff and the hubs are easily serviceable.

Tyres: Run the highest volume your frame/fork/rim width can handle, but be aware that the rolling resistance will impact what gearing you choose. I ride 32x18 with a 2.35 Nobby Nic in front and a Bontrager 2.25 at the rear. Tried 3.0 Knards and had to bump up my gearing to 32x20

So I recently built up a single speed from some spare parts I had lying around, had to use a tensioner because of the frame I had available. 

Works fine but takes a bit of tweaking to get the chain line straight. Once it was properly set up it was a joy to ride.

But the bug bit me an I immediately started researching ways of getting rid of the tensioner, and came to the conclusion I will need a SS specific frame for best results. 

Eventually It became such a mission to get a proper frame with horizontal dropouts that I just gave up and carried on riding the bike with the tensioner.

Edited by karlito

I have this for sale if anyone is interested.

New drivetrain, Deore brakes, grips, tubeless wheels and bearings all round. R9000 onco

post-9954-0-41295400-1499704942_thumb.jpg

Edited by King_Crispy