SRAM, have they come down in price since cutting out CRC?

Hairy

SRAM, have they come down in price since cutting out CRC?

I have not been looking around much, but for what I have seen there is has been no benefit to the consumer at all since SRAM has managed to stop consumers importing directly from On-Line Stores.

When the time eventually comes around for me to replace the GX cassette (10-42) it looks cheaper for me to buy a new Hope STD freehub and a XT (11-46) cassette than buying the GX.

Add to this I can run a 36t chain ring and achieve the same gear range I had before for the climbs, with a bit more punch on the descent and flats.

Now the rest of the SRAM empire also have not shown signs of better pricing locally .... but as I said I have not made a determined recce of stores to see if it has improved...just from looking here and there.

What have you lot seen or experienced?

H

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there supposed to be an knock on effect and better pricing in SA from the local agents as a result of banning oversea purchases?

When it happened I thought it was simply ringfencing each country and protecting the local agents.

Bikeinn

Bike-discount

Hibike

Bike24

On all these sites and most other online sites, not all sram products can be added, was looking to get my etap in last month and had to sukkel and get it via a reroute.

Same goes for garmin certain models can be imported like the edge1000 but the 820 is a no go.

Actually recently had an affair with the Sram topic.

Pricewise, yes they have slightly been alligning, but still more expensive than the direct price conversion of the RRP listed on Sram website -so basically missing out on sale prices from overseas websites like like crc.

My biggest issue was that it took 2 weeks for the 3 retailers(big local retailers) that I asked for a quote of which I eventually gave up and had to ask Cape Cycle Systems) the local distributors to contact the retailer to supply me a quote. [i had some strange Etap parts needed for my TT bike]

3 shops -1 did not bother to get back, 1 manged to produce a quoute but with the absolute wrong parts on there, 1 managed to assemble most of what I needed.

Now if I was to pay the local prices then I kinda expect to get the service I would get from the international guys (ie being able to add all weird items to a chart and post it, within 3 days on my bike)

Now this is not what we are getting a.t.m.

Just for the record I email ordered from a local retailer on Saterday and hopefully picking it up Tuesday. The items he could not produce I ordered on Sunday from Germany and picking it up today(Monday) already.

Edited by Oakley360

It's dam cheeky actually.

With no competition the onus is on the bike shops to cut their margins to stay competitive and Cape Cycle Systems have the complete monopoly.

It is such a pity that service has been mentioned, as CCS are being blamed for LBS inefficiency and blurring the lines on this.

Anyway, what did we expect living in SA? Isn't one of the #zeitgeist Bell Pottinger catch phrases 'white privilige monopoly' or something? :ph34r:  

I have also had issues with Cape Cycle Systems.  The level of dismissiveness and general coudnt-give-a-#$%&ness that I experienced was legendary.  I ended up contacting SRAM USA directly which seemed to be the only thing to get CCS hopping. 

They have tried to stop all online retailers shipping to SA, but have done nothing for SA customers in terms of increasing their inventory holdings or prices.

If there are retailers that ship to SA, please list them.  Failing which I use Postbox Courier

I have also had issues with Cape Cycle Systems.  The level of dismissiveness and general coudnt-give-a-#$%&ness that I experienced was legendary.  I ended up contacting SRAM USA directly which seemed to be the only thing to get CCS hopping. 

They have tried to stop all online retailers shipping to SA, but have done nothing for SA customers in terms of increasing their inventory holdings or prices.

If there are retailers that ship to SA, please list them.  Failing which I use Postbox Courier

+1 on CCS dismissive behavior . I did the same & contacted sram usa just to get a response . And a more than one liner ,it's not a warranty claim! Fair it seems it isn't a warranty claim. But they dismissed my claim without inspection of the item a few crappy pics was good enough for them .

I am or should I say was a big sram fan until I had to deal indirectly with ccs. The thought of having to deal with such pathetic service is just not worth it.

As for there pricing I always prepared to pay the premium but not anymore.

And as hairy said xt cassette & freehub for less money and better gear ratio,no brainier .

+1 on CCS dismissive behavior . I did the same & contacted sram usa just to get a response . And a more than one liner ,it's not a warranty claim! Fair it seems it isn't a warranty claim. But they dismissed my claim without inspection of the item a few crappy pics was good enough for them .

I am or should I say was a big sram fan until I had to deal indirectly with ccs. The thought of having to deal with such pathetic service is just not worth it.

As for there pricing I always prepared to pay the premium but not anymore.

And as hairy said xt cassette & freehub for less money and better gear ratio,no brainier .

It's just a pity Cool Heat are even worse.....