Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is yellowtail on the coals worth the effort? Snoek is becoming boring. What is the texture and taste of angelfish? How to go about with angelfish on the coals?

I have to mask the fishy smell for the wifey and kids. They are full of nonsense

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AnythingBut

Ok. I clicked the link (via my cell).... wtf

You lost me. What is hyrule? And what did I just see?

Hyrule is a land where I, Link, must defeat Ganon and save the Princess Zelda. It's a beautiful land, full of mystery and magic, and monsters and faires and other folk.

What you just saw was the main recipes for Hearty Bass.

More info about Hyrule can be found in the link:

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

Is yellowtail on the coals worth the effort? Snoek is becoming boring. What is the texture and taste of angelfish? How to go about with angelfish on the coals?

I have to mask the fishy smell for the wifey and kids. They are full of nonsense

I saw some Snoek at Checkers, looks tempting at R50 for a pack of two pieces. I think I might get some when I purchase some Angel fish.

Yellowtail definitely worth the effort.

Yellowtail/angel fish is, in my opinion, fairly similar to snoek.

There's lots of different ways you can cook all of them on the fire, but, I find keeping it simple is usually the best. Sepia's recipe on the previous page looks really good

Though in contradiction to what I just said, my personal favourite at the moment is this.

So something I'm struggling to find online, but when you create something like a chimichurri, how should you season the meat?

Obviously you don't want the meat unflavored, but you don't want to not taste the chimichurri. Will be braaing a flank steak and have no idea on the spice rub

So something I'm struggling to find online, but when you create something like a chimichurri, how should you season the meat?

Obviously you don't want the meat unflavored, but you don't want to not taste the chimichurri. Will be braaing a flank steak and have no idea on the spice rub

From what I can tell (I've never made it myself) it's quite a strong-tasting sauce, so just season the meat the way you like it.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chimichurri-sauce-2

In our case we like the chimichurri on the stake after cooking...but I suppose you can marinade the steak in it and then add to the cooked sides as you go with a brush or spooning it on

Hyrule is a land where I, Link, must defeat Ganon and save the Princess Zelda. It's a beautiful land, full of mystery and magic, and monsters and faires and other folk.

What you just saw was the main recipes for Hearty Bass.

More info about Hyrule can be found in the link:

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule

Moutainbikingdom is a land where I, Stoffel, must defeat the ever expanding Boep and save my Sanity in search of the elusive Fitness. It's a beautiful land, full of flowing single track, tricky rockgardens and devilishly steep climbs, with loads of friendly mountainbike folk and a few who don't greet while out on a ride and one or two trolls.

More info, with detailed maps and records on conquests, can be found in the link:

www.strava.com

:P

(Sitting at work, really not feeling like working...)

Whats the consensus on spicing your meat ?

Before - at least an hour or more.

During - when you busy cremating said meat.

Or only after when eating ? 

Moutainbikingdom is a land where I, Stoffel, must defeat the ever expanding Boep and save my Sanity in search of the elusive Fitness. It's a beautiful land, full of flowing single track, tricky rockgardens and devilishly steep climbs, with loads of friendly mountainbike folk and a few who don't greet while out on a ride and one or two trolls.

More info, with detailed maps and records on conquests, can be found in the link:

www.strava.com

[emoji14]

Hahaha, I miss the mountain biking days.

www.strava.com

:P

Totally made my day.

I am sure Lurch can come up with a clever comment here RE spicing your meat........... Is it for a spit braai?

Depends on the meat. If it's a cheap cut I marinade it for as long as possible. If it's a really good cut (read: expensive) I do as little as possible, as the meat should be tasty enough as is. Salt and pepper while it's on the grill I find sufficient.

Handy tip: If you take the meat out of the fridge an hour or so before you put it on the grill it is usually very tender after you've grilled it. NB remember to let the meat rest a while before cutting into it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Depends on the meat. If it's a cheap cut I marinade it for as long as possible. If it's a really good cut (read: expensive) I do as little as possible, as the meat should be tasty enough as is. Salt and pepper while it's on the grill I find sufficient.

Handy tip: If you take the meat out of the fridge an hour or so before you put it on the grill it is usually very tender after you've grilled it. NB remember to let the meat rest a while before cutting into it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well said. Nothing more heartbreaking (in the minor problems sense, not global) than a lovely piece of meat destroyed by too much marinating. Cheap meat, marinade the **** out of it. Good meat, treat it like your lover. Caress it gently, spice only to enhance the flavour and spit roast only when it is needed.