Please help a preemie

2bliss

Thank you, everybody.  I'm sure all the good Hub vibes will contribute to another Bunny bounce-back really soon :)

Today's bronchoscopy will be performed under general anaesthesia.  They will do a "bronchoalveolar lavage".  This involves flushing the lungs with saline and suctioning it out again.  Wash, rinse, repeat, until the thick mucous is gone.  Hopefully antibiotics will then be able to clear up the infections.

They will also be repeating the CF "sweat test" at some point.  I'm not sure about the reason.  It might be due to the results not having been entirely conclusive the first time, or due to her clinical profile casting doubt on the results.

@Tothehills: You should be a writer or poet!

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, she went into theater at 11:22.  So far we know that the CT scan showed she has almost no normal lung function remaining - everything is infected.  Regarding the mucous, and these are the doctor's words: "It looks like PPC cement in there."  Karmi will be going to ICU after they are done and it will take time to wean her off the ventilator.  Will keep you guys updated as we hear more.  They still have lots to do. 

Thanks for the updates 2Bliss, Whenever things are bad one wonders how it's going and hoping everything turns out for best.

Indeed! We're really stressing. She hasn't been this sick since PICU. I keep checking my phone for news that she is in recovery or safely under the care of the excellent ICU staff.

Indeed! We're really stressing. She hasn't been this sick since PICU. I keep checking my phone for news that she is in recovery or safely under the care of the excellent ICU staff.

Hang in there Nicole. Thanks so much for allowing us all to be updated with this, you know all our thoughts are with Karmi and her mum and dad.

I pray that Karmi will be wrapped up in the hands of God during this trial, and she will come out stronger on the other side. He has a plan for her, to give her a hope and a future. I pray that His peace, that surpasses all human understanding, will under-gird the hearts of her parents, and that they will remain calm in the storm. 

I thank Jesus Christ that He creates life, and that He has blessed Karmi with another sibling, so that she can know the joy of having a friend for life.

I pray that God will use the doctors as the instruments of His healing, and that He will guide every step that they take.

Karmi is now in paediatric ICU and on a mechanical ventilator.  The procedure had to be aborted as she is too weak to endure it.  They were able to take a sample of mucous for analysis, but could not clean out her lungs.  The pulmonologist showed the CT scans to her parents and apparently they look terrible.  There is a normal bit of lung the size of a R5 coin.  The infected areas are surrounded by abnormal lung growth.  There is even change to her main pulmonary artery.  This is the best I can interpret Mum's distraught messages.  She also used the term "bronchilitis deslycia", but as far as I can tell no such thing exists. 

Edit: Oh no, no, please pray for her or think of her or whatever you may believe in!  They can't stabilise her!

Edited by 2bliss

Karmi is now in paediatric ICU and on a mechanical ventilator.  The procedure had to be aborted as she is too weak to endure it.  They were able to take a sample of mucous for analysis, but could not clean out her lungs.  The pulmonologist showed the CT scans to her parents and apparently they look terrible.  There is a normal bit of lung the size of a R5 coin.  The infected areas are surrounded by abnormal lung growth.  There is even change to her main pulmonary artery.  This is the best I can interpret Mum's distraught messages.  She also used the term "bronchilitis deslycia", but as far as I can tell no such thing exists. 

Too sad... my heart bleeds for this family. Can't imagine going through all this  :( 

Keep fighting Karmi