Please help a preemie

2bliss

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this stage, anything positive is welcomed.  Even if some of us are not religious, those who are can find tremendous strength and solace in their faith.  So, I do not care what a person's belief-system entails, as long as they are a force for good in this world.

Back from the very brink, but not yet stable. Karmi is on a ventilator and oscilator. Despite these measures, her O2 sats are up and down. She has a feeding tube down her nose indicating, to me, that the doctors think she won't be out of ICU soon. She is heavily sedated, so I really hope she is not aware or suffering in any way. Her parents have only been able to see her for a very short time as the staff continually struggle to keep her stable. We are on our way to the hospital to lend support to her parents.

A long night ahead. Hopefully things will look better in the morning. They occasionally manage to get her sats up as high as 90%, but any little change or movement sends it plummeting back down. Even covering her with a small blanket had that effect. She seems to be strangely resistant to sedation and fights the ventilator, turns her head and lifts her arms. All of these actions jostle the ventilator tube and send O2 sats down the drain.

She now has a very good paediatric pulmonologist who is very strict and keeps nursing staff on their toes. Although the initial cystic fibrosis test was not positive, the clinical picture seems to contradict it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read there are a range of metabolic disorders related to CF and each can range in severity. It can sometimes be difficult to make a definite diagnosis in babies. The pulmonologist has put Karmi on the standard protocol for CF treatment, but the implementation is limited by her current condition.

To sum up: Karmi is still not stable and in critical condition, but she has a fighting spirit even though her body is weak. She also has all of you ;)

A long night ahead. Hopefully things will look better in the morning. They occasionally manage to get her sats up as high as 90%, but any little change or movement sends it plummeting back down. Even covering her with a small blanket had that effect. She seems to be strangely resistant to sedation and fights the ventilator, turns her head and lifts her arms. All of these actions jostle the ventilator tube and send O2 sats down the drain.

She now has a very good paediatric pulmonologist who is very strict and keeps nursing staff on their toes. Although the initial cystic fibrosis test was not positive, the clinical picture seems to contradict it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read there are a range of metabolic disorders related to CF and each can range in severity. It can sometimes be difficult to make a definite diagnosis in babies. The pulmonologist has put Karmi on the standard protocol for CF treatment, but the implementation is limited by her current condition.

To sum up: Karmi is still not stable and in critical condition, but she has a fighting spirit even though her body is weak. She also has all of you ;)

Hope she has a good night

Thanks everyone. Your support means more than you will ever know. In case you were wondering, yes, I do forward your messages to Karmi's mum. She is so touched that people she's never met could care so much and she appreciates every prayer or message of hope and encouragement. You are the best!

Time for a bath and sleeping tablet. Cannot be up worrying all night as it won't help Karmi and there is work tomorrow.

Hey 2bliss

My Dad showed me this. and I will pray for Karmi. I was born prem 14 years ago in Cape Town and weighed 780g and gave my parents a very hard time just like Karmi. Us prems are real fighters so I know she will be ok. I gave my parents all sorts of scares and made them grey. i was in ICU for 3 months and i was deaf, but have cochlear implants now. I was SA MTB champ in 2014 and now live in New Zealand and just came 3rd in Auckland school series so prems go on to do great things. Sending hugs to Karmi from one prem to another.

Emma post-44492-0-95663600-1538021871_thumb.jpg