Ultimate Titanium Bike

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys building Titanium frames in SA? What pricing are we looking at for a frame ? 29er or Gravel bike 

I wish I could claim that we are doing the welding in SA.  (If you know of someone, or can weld Ti, please call me!)

We spend months looking for someone with the skill to do thin walled Ti welding locally and only found two options: a) someone that makes aeroplane exhausts and b) a robot at the CSIR. Neither of these options could deliver a quality product that could be customised to the point where each frame is different at a reasonable price point.

Fitment, consultation, and design take place in SA (Hermanus and Pretoria).

Bamboo bikes are made in Hermanus/Pta, and we're working hard to bring you custom geometry carbon fibre Tri/TT bike made in the Western Cape.  Welding outsourced to expert welders abroad.

Edited by Calculus Bikes

Something along this lines . . . 

And also . .  look as the amount of water bottle mounting points on this frame.   None of this only two cage-mount nonsense please.

(Afrika is n warm plek.) 

S7-frame.png

http://www.whycycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/S7-Profile-Viewr.png

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/1133681d1493093028-why-cycles-supple-7-s7-27-5-ti-hardtail-why2.jpg

Wow, love the plus wheels on the HT.  No going over the bars on this slack design. Just not too keen on the sliders.

Edited by PMN

Wow, love the plus wheels on the HT.  No going over the bars on this slack design. Just not too keen on the sliders.

Sliders are the best! 

No issues ever with mine!

Whats wrong with sliders?

Makes the frame super adaptable.. 650b plus trail, 29er rigid race whippit, 440mm rigid fork and drops for a monster cross, all geared or SS... I love the sliders on my bike.

The 142x12 sliders are also a treat these days. I do prefer an EBB to regulate bb height with fork travel and setup, but the sliders make for some really fun '1 bike' options 

I wish I could claim that we are doing the welding in SA.  (If you know of someone, or can weld Ti, please call me!)

We spend months looking for someone with the skill to do thin walled Ti welding locally and only found two options: a) someone that makes aeroplane exhausts and b) a robot at the CSIR. Neither of these options could deliver a quality product that could be customised to the point where each frame is different at a reasonable price point.

Fitment, consultation, and design take place in SA (Hermanus and Pretoria).

Bamboo bikes are made in Hermanus/Pta, and we're working hard to bring you custom geometry carbon fibre Tri/TT bike made in the Western Cape.  Welding outsourced to expert welders abroad.

I'm unsure of the demand for this, but wish you the best of luck!

Whats wrong with sliders?

Makes the frame super adaptable.. 650b plus trail, 29er rigid race whippit, 440mm rigid fork and drops for a monster cross, all geared or SS... I love the sliders on my bike.

The 142x12 sliders are also a treat these days. I do prefer an EBB to regulate bb height with fork travel and setup, but the sliders make for some really fun '1 bike' options 

Nothing wrong with sliders.  They are very practical as you point out.  It's just the "knack" that cringes when i think all the forces the back wheel takes is transferred to the frame via a connection held with four small bolts.  And it brakes the clean line of the rear triangle, but who cares about looks anyway.

post-8691-0-50422800-1503585196_thumb.png

The insert in the slide transfers the torque... Those bolts are 'tiny' but if grade 8.8 then probably have a shear value of around 80kN.... which is not going to fail for most guys.

But pffft... maths hey. If it's because of the aesthetics then I can't assist. We all like what we like.

I mean, I really don't like the look of SWIFT bikes or Pygas... they just look meh to me so I get you. But guys at Paragon over engineer pretty much everything they design.