[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

4 years 2 months ago I started working at my current company. I had just turned 18 when I started with them. Over the years my team had grown to become my family away from home. These people taught me everything I know as I transitioned into adulthood. Today was my last day with them. They had gotten me into cycling, loaning me a POS bike that their gardener used to start training on for the 94.7.

Anyway, This morning my manager had heard me moan about the CTCT and how I couldn't afford it. She has ridden 10 consecutive rides and knew me well enough to know that I would regret not racing.

My farewell gift from them was the entry fee, and travelling costs for 2018.

So CTCT 2018 I guess here I come.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news from the press conference regarding the Masi protests? Has there been any engagement with the community or is it going to a 78km race from now on?

I'm not sure anything has happened, BUT I could not think of anything better than them to throw some lots of money at the Songezo Jim Cycling Academy

I'm not sure anything has happened, BUT I could not think of anything better than them to throw some lots of money at the Songezo Jim Cycling Academy

Last year with the funds they built an early child hood development centre in Masi. The rotary club is very involved with the community. Which is the sad part, the more funds the spend on securing the event the less money goes to the actual people in the community that needs it.

There is a ramp onto the freeway alongside the Cape town Station. Check google maps "grand parade cape town"

This ramp is it 1 or 2 lanes wide (not in CT at moment)? At the top of the on ramp onto the free way what barriers is on the right side - a raised section or level with rest of freeway? On the left side what do the gutters look like? If my memory is correct this on ramp is 1 lane wide (pervious on ramp became 2 lanes wade many years back) with obstacles at the top.

image002.jpg

I think the turn at the start is gonna cause lots of problems. They should rather use the footbridge as a starting point. Then the rest of Strand street is also still available and it will be a straight sprint for the climb onto the freeway.

You cannot get to the footbridge part from the Grand Parade easily.

If you are not able to negotiate a slow speed right and 90 degree bend, wait till you get to Chappies. 

This ramp is it 1 or 2 lanes wide (not in CT at moment)? At the top of the on ramp onto the free way what barriers is on the right side - a raised section or level with rest of freeway? On the left side what do the gutters look like? If my memory is correct this on ramp is 1 lane wide (pervious on ramp became 2 lanes wade many years back) with obstacles at the top.

There is NO WAY that the organizers will be able to keep 100% of the riders happy with whatever they choose to do on race day...just rock up, get on the bike and take it easy the first bend from Grand Parade and then safely onto the highway and enjoy the rest of the race, if you lost 3 seconds on the first kilometer, work a bit harder around Hospital bend and you are sorted...if you are a sub-3 rider or a weekend warrior and do it in 6 hours...just go and enjoy the day out on the Cape Town roads  :clap: would love to get an entry to CTCT 2018  :thumbup:

You cannot get to the footbridge part from the Grand Parade easily.

If you are not able to negotiate a slow speed right and 90 degree bend, wait till you get to Chappies. 

LOL very true  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

single lane boss...this is going to be like charging for the single track

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9259706,18.4317305,3a,75y,106.83h,97.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so3-OPQYPoHVo7AZInDNYgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is NO WAY that the organizers will be able to keep 100% of the riders happy with whatever they choose to do on race day...just rock up, get on the bike and take it easy the first bend from Grand Parade and then safely onto the highway and enjoy the rest of the race, if you lost 3 seconds on the first kilometer, work a bit harder around Hospital bend and you are sorted...if you are a sub-3 rider or a weekend warrior and do it in 6 hours...just go and enjoy the day out on the Cape Town roads  :clap: would love to get an entry to CTCT 2018  :thumbup:

The number of accidents in years gone bye at the bottle neck when the previous on ramp became 1 lane wide is till in my memory that was probably in my 1st 10 Cape Town cycle tours - then Argus tour. The last about 24 cycle tours since did not have the problem.

The number of accidents in years gone bye at the bottle neck when the previous on ramp became 1 lane wide is till in my memory that was probably in my 1st 10 Cape Town cycle tours - then Argus tour. The last about 24 cycle tours since did not have the problem.

you can watch the start here!

http://brianfolts.com/driver/#origin=cape+town&destination=university+of+cape+town&fps=1&travelmode=DRIVING&rn=&exportWidth=512&exportHeight=512

What are the odds of it being cancelled again I wonder. They must be higher than they were before the last one. The possibility of protest action is probably more likely than the wind. I wonder if entries will be down as a result...

There is NO WAY that the organizers will be able to keep 100% of the riders happy with whatever they choose to do on race day...just rock up, get on the bike and take it easy the first bend from Grand Parade

Seems it could easily be solved by moving the start 100m up the course next to the Buuren edge of the castle. The road is already closed so why not take every opportunity to increase start safety?

Am I missing something?

Edited by Secombe

Thanks for this. It is exactly what I remembered it too look like. If an accident should happen near the front of any bunch where the congestion get tight near the top of the on ramp (hate to say kind of likely at some point in the day) all riders will be delayed by quite some time. Possibly even start of groups to follow. Lanes become quite a narrow single lane with groups of 200 to 1000 going flat box not so great.

Thanks for this. It is exactly what I remembered it too look like. If an accident should happen near the front of any bunch where the contestion get tight near the top of the on ramp (hate to say kind of likely at some point in the day) all riders will be delayed by quite some time. Possibly even start of groups to follow. Lanes become quite a narrow single lane with groups of 200 to 1000 going flat box not so great. Edited by Icycling

This ramp is quite narrow and narrows more at the top - only feasible way up from that part of town though.  A possible solution would be to make the first kilometre or so into a 'neutral zone' and have the start mats after it widens out on the freeway.  This would help to keep the fast starters controlled (maybe?)

Thanks for this. It is exactly what I remembered it too look like. If an accident should happen near the front of any bunch where the contestion get tight near the top of the on ramp (hate to say kind of likely at some point in the day) all riders will be delayed by quite some time. Possibly even start of groups to follow. Lanes become quite a narrow single lane with groups of 200 to 1000 going flat box not so great.

This ramp is quite narrow and narrows more at the top - only feasible way up from that part of town though.  A possible solution would be to make the first kilometre or so into a 'neutral zone' and have the start mats after it widens out on the freeway.  This would help to keep the fast starters controlled (maybe?)

Have you ever done a race with a "neutral zone" in the first few groups(sub 3 riders)? Neutral zone in vets racing means "attack".

Or just ride with your MTB on the left side over the yellow lines