Is anyone using road disc brakes at road races?

thisismyotherbike

One (secondary) argument was to be compatible with what is coming for as long as possible. (I stretched my previous road bike's lifetime to over 15 years) But it was used to justify a DI2 ready frame, rather than the disks.

My Tarmac disc came with QR and post mounts, it was obsolete the day I bought it  :cursing:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a TCR advanced and was offered the disc bike but decided of the normal bike.I think the new TCR will only be disc from 2019

Only reason is that the disc bike is quite heavier than the non disc.Braking on the discs will be better but disc brakes takes maintenance and the LBS will be happy to charge.

normal rim brake blocks last for years.

Very easy.

I still brake okay with my road bike with normal callipers.  And I save 1kg.  Jip....1000g over your disc bike just by not falling for the latest money making scheme of the bike industry.

Road discs have been "legal" to compete with for quite a while now in the funrider groups.  UCI approved this months ago and CSA a few month after that.

The amount of *** those discs bring to the party is laughable.  The bike shops love it cause they make money off it. 

Not everyone can install them their selves.  

Break rub.  Cable issues with bubbles.  Horrible aerodynamics.  Heat.  (with higher speed comes higher heat and road discs are notorious small) 

But they don't tell you that.  Only the positives gets put forward.

Talk to any pro-tour mechanic that builds bikes daily and he'll tell you.

It all boils down to braking.  Yes discs break better.  But what you will have to ask yourself is......with how much crap will I have to deal with for that "better braking"?

In SA where the avg rider don't ride in the rain and where we don't have mountains, there is NO reason for you to buy a disc bike.  Only the suppliers and bike shops will push it.  Money is the game.

+1000

I still say.  Roadbike rim brakes.  Mountain bike disks.  In good weather I ride the road bike and in poor/wet weather I hop on the MTB with disks.  There is improved braking on the disks but also the amount of effort in maintaining those brakes is another story especially for me who maintain my bikes myself.

You know that famous Meme about arguing on the internet?  I feel like I'm living it now even replying to the above.

The ADVANTAGES are lighter lever action, better brake modulation, hugely better pad life, consistent braking and pretty much ZERO disadvantages.

Aero I reckon is pretty much non-existent argument, so you can climb off your horse on that one.  Weight is neglible, and the maintenance?  You've obviously NEVER owned disc brakes?  

But I get it, you dont have them, and hate them.  But at least stop sprouting rubbish.  After 30 years of rim brake road bikes, riding a disc road bike is great - especially on descents like Ou Kaapseweg etc.  Later and more consistent braking is just so much better than rim brakes and this advantage outstrips any points you may make, it's like you are harping on about drum brakes on a car, sure they work, but wait until you have better.

Asking for a friend as I don't know better, what's the difference between those old drum brakes and disk brakes with ABS switched off?  Just to be clear, I believe proper disks brakes better but does it not create more opportunity to lock up easily?  I tend to find a mountainbike lockup OK as it's kind of predictable to slide, but the sudden bite after a lockup on tarmac could create the slingshot effect... Just asking so don't bite my head off please

Asking for a friend as I don't know better, what's the difference between those old drum brakes and disk brakes with ABS switched off?  Just to be clear, I believe proper disks brakes better but does it not create more opportunity to lock up easily?  I tend to find a mountainbike lockup OK as it's kind of predictable to slide, but the sudden bite after a lockup on tarmac could create the slingshot effect... Just asking so don't bite my head off please

I can already lock up a wheel with rim brakes, so why should I even bother with discs? 

Being able to lock a wheel is not a sign of great braking performance, and yes, ultimate braking power is dictated by the amount of traction your tires have on the road surface. However, disc brakes provide finer control of your braking power just before lock-up, which is where you get the most effective braking. Better known as modulation, this ability to more precisely apply the power reduces your braking distance. In a race, this allows you to brake later into corners and have the confidence to carry more speed out of them. 

Those who ride in wet conditions will also benefit from improved braking confidence regardless of the weather, as well as reduced maintenance. Nearly all hydraulic disc brakes will automatically adjust to pad wear, and you won’t suffer from worn rims due to gritty braking. 

Hydraulic disc brakes require less hand effort, too, meaning a single finger is often all that’s needed to keep your speed in check.

I can already lock up a wheel with rim brakes, so why should I even bother with discs? 

Being able to lock a wheel is not a sign of great braking performance, and yes, ultimate braking power is dictated by the amount of traction your tires have on the road surface. However, disc brakes provide finer control of your braking power just before lock-up, which is where you get the most effective braking. Better known as modulation, this ability to more precisely apply the power reduces your braking distance. In a race, this allows you to brake later into corners and have the confidence to carry more speed out of them. 

Those who ride in wet conditions will also benefit from improved braking confidence regardless of the weather, as well as reduced maintenance. Nearly all hydraulic disc brakes will automatically adjust to pad wear, and you won’t suffer from worn rims due to gritty braking. 

Hydraulic disc brakes require less hand effort, too, meaning a single finger is often all that’s needed to keep your speed in check.

OK it makes sense, thanks for that

(EDIT: Typo)

Edited by L46

Pretty much the above.   The extra 100g (shock! horror!) of weight on discs is definitely worth it purely for lighter lever action, miles better modulation that is consistent and ultimately power when needed.  It's never about outright power, but consistency and modulation is where it's at.

And all this disc brake maintenance?  what the hell are you okes doing?  not even my trail bike in winter requires all this maintenance you guys talk about....

+1000

I still say.  Roadbike rim brakes.  Mountain bike disks.  In good weather I ride the road bike and in poor/wet weather I hop on the MTB with disks.  There is improved braking on the disks but also the amount of effort in maintaining those brakes is another story especially for me who maintain my bikes myself.

What do you do to your disc brakes that they require maintenance?

On my MTB I basically bleed the brakes (takes 15 minutes) every 2 years or when the brakes get a bit squish (happened to my back brake once after a heavy lie down). Other than that no maintenance...

And this is what grinds me to NO END and pissed me off.

We.  The consumer.  DON'T have a choice.

2020 (or at least within the next five years) you won't have an option to buy a normal frame from manufacturers.

I think what saddens me is that I have not had it thick in life and I have built up this amazing bike over many many years meticulously deciding what to use and what not.

And if I go for a new frame, I will have to do everything over again and I don't have that much time in life left anymore.

I know that you are a racer and I am a plodder so it is not a perfect answer, but I still have and ride an old steel Merckx with 10 speed record. The bike was good enough to win a road-race rainbow jersey at the time and is still good enough for me.  The three KOMs I held and my PB around Suikerbosrand were all set on it. 

The good news is that as others people "upgraded" I managed to build up the bike with previously unaffordable parts. I  suspect that I will be able to do so again in 4-5 years time where a 2018 Superbike with Dura Ace Di2, Zipp wheels and rim brakes will be had for next to nothing. I will benefit from other people's upgrades.

Even if they stop making rim-brake frames, I think you will always be able to keep your dream going

To disk or not to disk ??

Do I want them ? Hell Yes!

Do I need them ? Nooo!

Are they a fad ? No

Are they going to make money ? Yes

Do you have enough rubber on the tar to warrant them ??

In my 24 years of riding rim brakes I have replaced less pads (in total) than the avg disc brake user does in a YEAR!  

Are you comparing brake pads fitted to a road bike with disk brakes on a mountain bike?

It is quite a simple matter. When Campy, Shimano and SRAM seize development of rim brakes on their top end components you switch with your next purchase. Campy was late to the party, so if you really like your traditional brakes, go with Campy if you buy now. They’ll be the last major group-set supplier to abandon their r&d on rim brakes.

Those who want to future proof their bikes may switch when from a price point disc setup = rim setup (so basically now). The development of disc brakes is driven by the three companies above and not necessarily by the frame manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just got a TCR advanced and was offered the disc bike but decided of the normal bike.I think the new TCR will only be disc from 2019

Only reason is that the disc bike is quite heavier than the non disc.Braking on the discs will be better but disc brakes takes maintenance and the LBS will be happy to charge.

normal rim brake blocks last for years.

I own 1 road bike a spaz Paris Roubaix 2004 model with ultegra rim brakes, after 14 years riding in the foothills of the Swiss alps (ok granted, you can cut that in half of if you count Winter and IDT riding) It still has the original pads / rims and I’ve yet to have problems due to poor braking.

I wonder how many roadies are going to have an accident when they accidentally grab a handful (as you tend to in emergency situations) of these new wonderfully more powerful brakes....

Edited by SwissVan

I just don't see why everyone is so upset.

Progression and the use of technology is something we deal with in all aspects of life. 

One will struggle to service their 'tube' television these days when it packs up. VHS tapes are also hard to come by. Cars without air bags or ABS brakes, now made illegal in some countries.

All of these things worked and worked brilliantly in their day. The Citi Golf is another example. It has been discontinued, labelled a death trap and banned in some countries but hundreds of thousands of us grew up zipping around town in them from the 70's till the 00's.... 

Crying into your soup about advancement of tech is futile. Regardless of who is driving it and who the real winner is, it's happening.

Dry your eyes. Their mind has been made up. There will be plenty of 'old stock' fish in the classifieds sea.... (puts on 'The Streets' for nostalgic value as it reminds him of changing cork, carbon only brake blocks..)

I own 1 road bike a spaz Paris Roubaix 2004 model with ultegra rim brakes, after 14 years riding in the foothills of the Swiss alps (ok granted, you can cut that in half of if you count Winter and IDT riding) It still has the original pads / rims and I’ve yet to have problems due to poor braking.

I wonder how many roadies are going to have an accident when they accidentally grab a handful (as you tend to in emergency situations) of these new wonderfully more powerful brakes....

disc brakes "bite" yes - specially at the front.

Throw you over them handlebars yes... ^_^