Becoming a roadie on a budget tips much?

Gitfo

:thumbup:  Help me choose from these 3 options on a tight Budget?

Now i got a thight budget, i would have to put spd pedals on, a bike fit and extra inner tubes aswell with this budget. My frame size is 56-58

Which one would you choose taken all factors in to account list 1-4:

OPTION 1 -
Scott CR1 Carbon 56cm - 105 - year:2006
R 8,500.00
https://goo.gl/roM5qZ -

OPTION 1 -  (doubdt - cant google or find this model specs anywhere???)
Silverback Arizona 56cm - tiagara 9x2 - year:UNKNOWN
R 4,900.00 --- can upgrade groupset ---
https://goo.gl/Y7dSGv -

OPTION 3 - bikebay
Trek 1500 SLR 58cm - 105 - year:UNKNOWN
R 7,500
https://goo.gl/GuFjmH -

Edited by Gerrie van der Walt

Scott CR1 is a quality bike (without checking this one specifically).

May be priced a touch high for 2006/105.

Agree with Thomo, Scott is the best of the three, maybe you could knock the price down a bit.

The Arizona is a 2003 model, it was the first of Silverbacks road range.

The Trek is a 2005 model.

All will serve their purpose if they are in a good condition.

Considering what I've seen advertised on the Hub, I would offer about R3000 for the Arizona and about R4500 for the Trek, bearing in mind the Trek came standard with Ultegra, this one has 105 which is one below Ultegra

Edited by Eugene

Agree with Thomo, Scott is the best of the three, maybe you could knock the price down a bit.

The Arizona is a 2003 model, it was the first of Silverbacks road range.

The Trek is a 2005 model.

All will serve their purpose if they are in a good condition.

Considering what I've seen advertised on the Hub, I would offer about R3000 for the Arizona and about R4500 for the Trek, bearing in mind the Trek came standard with Ultegra, this one has 105 which is one below Ultegra

The arizona is a 2007 model, I bought 1 new when the came out. If the scott is 2006 it might still be 9 speed 105. Just make sure from the seller. I would offer R4000 to R4500 for the arizona. It is a perfect starter bike and you would have enough money for other accessories.

Do not upgrade the groupset. You will overspend on the bike. Rather ride it for a year or so and save up for a later model bike if you like road cycling.

I went through the same process just over a year ago. I ended up buying a cheapish Merida Alloy bike with mostly 9 Speed Tiagra parts for around R5,000. Then a few months later when I decided that I really enjoyed it, I managed to pick up a 2013 Scott CR1 with 10 Speed 105/Ultegra for R10,000. The deals are there, you just need to be patient. I'd go cheap for the first round in my opinion.

those prices are a bit steep i'd say.  fortunate thing about road bikes are that they haven't changed much with age, and cheaper isn't nearly as much slower...

If a second hand bike was looked after by the owner, you can literally buy a 10yo bike for R3k and still stick with your mates on training rides and races.

Would suggwst get bike fit first, then the bike, big difference in 56 and 58 frame, also just note that 58 in one brand is not 58 in another....

All very pricey, IMHO.

Bikebay tends to be expensive, and prices on the Hub aren't particularly good either (sorry Hub, but there it is).

You can find very good deals on Junkmail and Gumtree, but you have to know how to assess the bike's condition when you go to view it (condition of hubs, BB, headset etc.) Also, make sure you know what size you're going after before wasting your time driving out to see something that won't ever fit you. Be prepared to walk away - don't rationalise faults.

Lastly, consider eBay UK. They're going into winter and the bikes will start appearing now. Even with the cost of shipping added, there are some real bargains out there. Again, figure out how you'll get it checked (maybe a friend or relative out there?).

FWIW, I bought a full carbon Giant with full 10speed 105 group-set on Junkmail a few months ago for R4000. And it's perfect.

Like the others have said, the SCOTT is the best option from your list.

What's your budget ?

What items have you already got or what do you need ?

You mention that you want spd pedals, does that mean you already have a helmet, glasses, clothes ?

Welcome to the ROADIE world !!!

Keep safe and have fun.

Hi thar sho thanks guys I appreciate the impute. I will see what the prices are, and if I started of in 2014 on a poop mongoose hardtail weighed a ton and broke Bb's, I then upgraded to Scott aspect in 2015 and 2017 a scott scale 960 saw me going in it this properly losing 25kg and need a road bike for club rides and I will be doing the same starts to the road adventure as I NEED to go furthur

I bought a 2012 ali road bike for around 5K which had a 10sp 105 groupset.

At the prices you're considering I would hold out until you find something with at least that spec & vintage. Might be a bit of a push if you're also set on a carbon frame.

Hi cycle Wizz I got lycra for days lol Shimano spd shoes, I got the rest of gear

Then your budget has already improved.

SPD pedals are relatively cheap from what I've seen, unless you some want something super fancy.

I wouldn't bother with a aluminium bike, go carbon from the start otherwise you'll be looking at a carbon bike in a few months.

Like the others have said just confirm your size.

There was a thread here some time back with links to seeing what size bike one needs.

Do a search here or on Google and you should get the info you need.

I wouldn't bother with a aluminium bike, go carbon from the start otherwise you'll be looking at a carbon bike in a few months.

I am going to disagree on that part. Alu perfectly fine for entry level bike, I have "raced" mine at the sharp-"ish" end of the field without ever feeling I am at a disadvantage, upgrading something like your wheelset will make a massive difference. Upgrading to carbon will be a marginal improvement.