Tour de France 2018

gummibear

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I was under the impression everyone that finished got the time of the team as long as they finish within the cutoff.

What is the requirement for finishing "with the team"? Is it a 1s/3s gap? Because there are various stages of being "dropped" in the finish...

I really have no idea..

A bike length would probably be a gap? @Frosty would know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hypothetical scenario: after the roubaix stage NQ is ~3+mins down.

Would he have enough rope to go out on the attack early on with these 3 stages after the rest day?

He could pull back 90 seconds before the GC bunch would even need to worry

edit:the active word being hypothetical, because NQ and attack don't really belong together, but it would then be a "surprise attack"

tour-de-france-2018-stage-10-profile-c9f

tour-de-france-2018-stage-11-profile-a76

tour-de-france-2018-stage-12-profile-843

hypothetical scenario: after the roubaix stage NQ is ~3+mins down.

Would he have enough rope to go out on the attack early on with these 3 stages after the rest day?

He could pull back 90 seconds before the GC bunch would even need to worry

edit:the active word being hypothetical, because NQ and attack don't really belong together, but it would then be a "surprise attack"

tour-de-france-2018-stage-10-profile-c9f

tour-de-france-2018-stage-11-profile-a76

tour-de-france-2018-stage-12-profile-843

Absolutely zero chance of Nairo able to gain any time on the Roubaix stage..Valverde, Landa, Nibali possibly but Nairo - nope not at all..

Absolutely zero chance of Nairo able to gain any time on the Roubaix stage..Valverde, Landa, Nibali possibly but Nairo - nope not at all..

. On the Roubaix stage, NQ is going to attack off the back harder than Louis at the Giro

. On the Roubaix stage, NQ is going to attack off the back harder than Louis at the Giro

He should call it on his GC ambitions, lose enough time on the Roubaix stage and go for stage wins or KOM.

Agreed. Cobbles + 38kg body mass = scrambled disaster.

I wonder how Thomas feels about the Roubaix stage, he has done well at the race when he was a bit heavier but when he did it this year as prep for the TDF he crashed out on sector 1.

Agreed. Cobbles + 38kg body mass = scrambled disaster.

And teams that don't have GC riders will hammer that stage.. QS are going to turn the race on it's head....

I wonder how Thomas feels about the Roubaix stage, he has done well at the race when he was a bit heavier but when he did it this year as prep for the TDF he crashed out on sector 1.

Is it just some extra weight that would make the cobbles more 'manageable' or the absolute power that may go along with it?

Froome surrounded by top contenders that will follow any move, so that should play into the hands of Tom, he will not be required to follow the moves himself.

Froome is going to have to try unconventional attacks, like the descent he did a year or two ago. Think the plan is still for Sky to work for Froome and for Thomas to stick with him as far as possible, not going to give up the 40odd seconds between the two for nothing.

This is setup to be a much more exciting Tour.

Better go read up about tomorrow in my Tour Magazine, best time of the year!

Once the cobbles are done will see who will need to chase what in the mountains. 

Porte was on fire last year until he gutter balled.

Is it just some extra weight that would make the cobbles more 'manageable' or the absolute power that may go along with it?

They get thrown around on the cobbles so a bit of both and some good luck too together with some handy bike handling skills. There's a reason you don't see the lightweights at Paris-Roubaix and they are doing a lot of sectors this stage not a few like in the past

Once the cobbles are done will see who will need to chase what in the mountains.

Porte was on fire last year until he gutter balled.

Yep.. time gained at the TTT could be lost in a moment on those cobbles.

NQ attack? Lolz

He's more likely to fall into a gap between two cobbles and be stuck there until his team rescues him

Archived