2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

I heard 1D rolled over 1C & B?, I guess some love to race while others love like to brace. :P

I think the majority of 1C was on a Sunday cruise enjoying the Winelands. I got the same time that I got in 2014 starting back in 2G. We tried a 4 man breakaway to up the pace but we didn't last long LOL, but was fun. I dropped a chain, had to stop to get it back on and managed to catch the group again and I am no Froome. It took me awhile to work my way to the front of the group and realised how big that group was.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first road event in a while. Started in 1D, got swallowed by a bunch through Pniel after overtaking some riders on the climb. We then caught up to another bunch at Wemmershoek. The huge resulting bunch (turned out to be 1ABC) was scary on the narrow road to Paarl, and the traffic circles. Bunch also turned into the oncoming traffic lane of the R301/Piet Retief in Paarl - did not see if it was perhaps the bike marshall who turned too early. The bunch carried on up the oncoming side of the road for 1km before cutting accross at an intersection - I was further back and had slowed down enough to turn into the other lane, had to chase back on. I did not feel happy gunning the descent into Stellies, with lots of water on the road and cars trying to overtake - I see I reached 70kmh down there, at which point I let go of the bunch and lost about a min to the line. Happy to finish without incident.

May all those hurt fully recover

And be back on their bikes soon

The average SCT bunch size after % is just so oversized for roads without full road closure, rain or shine.

The average SCT bunch size after % is just so oversized for roads without full road closure, rain or shine.

Agreed, our bunch went into a light panic as a 18 wheeler approached us and a couple of oncoming cars had to use their yellow lane as the one lane was too small at times.

May all those hurt fully recover

And be back on their bikes soon

its only 100 at the start, problem is, we sucked up half of 1a and lots of 1c guys caught up. Got massive quickly. Think 4-5 min gap between starts should sort it out for 1x groups

its only 100 at the start, problem is, we sucked up half of 1a and lots of 1c guys caught up. Got massive quickly. Think 4-5 min gap between starts should sort it out for 1x groups

Great for the first batches, but disastrous for the last batch riders who will have to spend 5 hours on a bike in the heat and wind of a Boland summer's day.

Great for the first batches, but disastrous for the last batch riders who will have to spend 5 hours on a bike in the heat and wind of a Boland summer's day.

have to agree.

Had this been a normal summers day, the field would have been slashed!

Those rollers from Wellington on the way back into any form of south easter would have ended many a ride. As it is we only just made cut off. had the wind been blowing and we had to work harder than we did, it would have been very tight. Yes we did finish with gas to spare in the tank and plenty of matches, but it would have been a not so pleasant day at the office had the wind been blowing and the temperature up.

I have to say. Cycling is a very humbling sport. I was feeling pretty good about myself cutting more than an hour off my 2016 time. Until I looked at my ACTUAL results.

I finished in the bottom half of my age group and more than an hour down on the winner.

Dan Craven came 3rd. Apparently he's Danie Craven's grandson.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

i haven't done this event for years - me and hels (in the first K) dont get

on. so with no training for the last month or so (out of choice) i decided to

take it easy. had 30 k's to go after 2 hours and thought i might just scrape

in under 3 hours - not to be. i was one of those puncture victims.

this event will not see me again - i thoroughly enjoyed the ride / the rain

BUT coming across warning signs in the middle of the hard shoulder , bike

marshals shouting at the bunch to ride in the hard shoulder, the build up of

traffic in the Klapmuts area were of a major concern. then to top it all.

i was forced to walk through the finish area when all i wanted to was get to

my car. there was a gap in the fence , so i asked the g'man there to let me

through - he refused to. i told him. i didnt want a coke and a medal.

i just want a short cut to my car. maybe it was the language barrier and he

was unable to get his msg across in a more diplomatic manner but Geez man

be a bit flexible. i understand the effort the organisers put in , i wouldnt

of taken a medal anyway and neither the poison in a cup.

and last - its unnatural to wake up at 4am in the morning. hasta la vista

moo cha chas - maybe if they find another venue and route.

/tech talk ahead

Only thing I learned from all this, not sure it will help anyone else, is that NW chainring on a 1x8 road bike makes no difference over a normal chainring.

In 2015 I used SCT as my first try of a 1x8 setup and had 3 dropped chains. I reluctantly put the FD back as a chain guide and had no issues after that. My dad needed a new front mech recently so I gave him my Claris that I only used as chain guide thinking the new 50t NW chainring I got will solve my problem. 

It did not. Dropped the chain twice. The jumps on an 8 speed cassette is sometimes too much for the chainring to catch the chain. I am sure on 9 or 10 speed this is not a problem.

So a new Claris is heading my way to act as chain guide on my 1x8.