Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

It’s actaully pretty sad how you lot spend more time trying antagonize, argue and prove each other wrong, rather than debating something on its merits.

If Froome cheated he must get what comes his way. But the way you lot carry on.....

People from all sides will now like this post to try claim your rational thought process and the moral high ground for their cause  :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s actaully pretty sad how you lot spend more time trying antagonize, argue and prove each other wrong, rather than debating something on its merits.

If Froome cheated he must get what comes his way. But the way you lot carry on.....

"..you lot.."  twice...?

Seems you might be going on leave today and it it thus a Friday for you Patch...?

What would the Bikehub forum be without its varying points of views and nobody seeing the common ground and just attacking the other bloke for that one flaw in his argument.

Par for the course really...

You mean the Sky money train will try dig him out of this hole?

Honestly, straight up Eldron... he's tested all the time, the Salbutamol will be in all his tests, on a certain level... lets say 200 - 400mcg. Suddenly, in the middle of the Vuelta, after he's just had a rough day and lost time, he tests at a level double the maximum allowed and I'm guessing 5-10 times his usual amount, and that just happens to be on the day he makes a super comeback and smokes his rivals pretty much clinching the Vuelta, and on top of the very rare feat of a Grand Tour double in the modern era. You can try for the anomoly angle, but I just can't see how the conditions could be so different as to spike his values so badly all of a sudden. He's always racing, it's generally hot, he's generally dehydrated etc - what on earth could have been so different about stage 17? 

Let me guess, he ate a racing pigeon pie? An inhaler exploded in the team car...

I'm out of here  :P

I think we're talking cross purposes here.

If you're asking if I think he cheated the answer is - I don't really care. I'm kinda ambivalent about CF.

Do I think he'll get away with it? Yes. For two reasons:

1) Salbutamol is a "soft drug" - you don't even need a TUE for the first 1000ng/ml and you could legally have 2000ng/ml if you had a TUE (this is opinion - I'm not sure on that fact).

2) SKY have a lot of doctors. I reckon they can get CF through the pharma test. Is this ethical? No. Is it legal? Yes.

Salbutamol has had mixed results when tested - personally I don't think it makes much (if any) difference to performance. I really don't think CF smashed Stage 18 because he had 2,000ng/ml of salbutamol in him.

"..you lot.."  twice...?

Seems you might be going on leave today and it it thus a Friday for you Patch...?

What would the Bikehub forum be without its varying points of views and nobody seeing the common ground and just attacking the other bloke for that one flaw in his argument.

Par for the course really...

Patch just has FOMO because he doesn't know which side of the fence to sit on anymore  :ph34r:  :P 

Now I'm really out of here 

Dear Tony Martin

Asthma is a highly contagious disease and is especially prevalent amongst elite athletes. As a prophylactic measure I suggest you urgently get an inhaler to prevent contagion.

Otherwise stop bitching and just suck it in….er just suck it up!

Now breath deeply and relax.

Edited by 6th Mass Extinction

Not correct, there is no mention of salbutamol exemptions. After the adverse finding of the A sample the athlete must be suspended. 

Here is the procedure (http://www.uci.ch/clean-sport/anti-doping/)

Adverse analytical finding

The LADS receive an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF, in other words, a prohibited substance was detected in a sample) from the CADF.

On the basis of an examination of a potential breach by the CADF, the LADS informs the rider, his or her National Federation, the NADO of his or her country and WADA of the advent of an abnormal result. If the substance discovered is "non-specified" (as opposed to "specified" substances – it is unlikely that the presence of "non-specified" substances can be explained by a credible reason not linked to doping), the rider is provisionally suspended (although this does not insinuate prior proof of guilt). The provisional suspension is reported on UCI’s website. The UCI Management is informed at the same time. 

At this stage, the rider may request the LADS to order the opening of the B sample. If this confirms the AAF of the A sample, or if the rider dispenses with this option, the LADS request the rider to explain why the sample has returned an AAF.

PS: I added the bold italics 

As far as I understand (and I am not expert here) - Salbutamol IS a specified substance so no provisional suspension.

Specified in that you can legally have it in your system - it's just controlled by amount.

At least that's how I understand it and given that there is no provisional suspension the authorities see it that way too.

I think we're talking cross purposes here.

If you're asking if I think he cheated the answer is - I don't really care. I'm kinda ambivalent about CF.

Do I think he'll get away with it? Yes. For two reasons:

1) Salbutamol is a "soft drug" - you don't even need a TUE for the first 1000ng/ml and you could legally have 2000ng/ml if you had a TUE (this is opinion - I'm not sure on that fact).

2) SKY have a lot of doctors. I reckon they can get CF through the pharma test. Is this ethical? No. Is it legal? Yes.

Salbutamol has had mixed results when tested - personally I don't think it makes much (if any) difference to performance. I really don't think CF smashed Stage 18 because he had 2,000ng/ml of salbutamol in him.

I'm also on team ambivalent... I'd frankly at this stage be more surprised if guys were winning 100% clean.

I'm not sure on the performance enhancement aspect of it specifically, there are a lot of mixed messages out there, but what does concern me is that it was in his system and in such a high quantity.

It's also a masking agent after all. It could also of been in a blood bag from off season etc etc

There are lots of questions, and no real answers yet from where I am looking

Froome on Facebook

It’s sad seeing the misconceptions that are out there about athletes & salbutamol use. My hope is that this doesn’t prevent asthmatic athletes from using their inhalers in emergency situations for fear of being judged. It is not something to be ashamed of @asthmauk #asthma

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Is Michelle writing his tweets now seeing that someone changed her own login details.. what a predictable defence.. pull on a few heartstrings and get sympathy..yes oke people live quite fine with Asthma and lots are pro athletes..that's why WADA allow treatment without TUEs..but there is also a limited a reason one would think

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

Donald, is that you? also... spelling, dear sir.... #justsaying 

I'm also on team ambivalent... I'd frankly at this stage be more surprised if guys were winning 100% clean.

I'm not sure on the performance enhancement aspect of it specifically, there are a lot of mixed messages out there, but what does concern me is that it was in his system and in such a high quantity.

It's also a masking agent after all. It could also of been in a blood bag from off season etc etc

The masking agent bit of that is confusing.. it's on the list because isn't banned and it says that + a known masking agent= ban

That Ross Tucker article he talks about that. Apparently that alone serves no use as a masking agent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As far as I understand (and I am not expert here) - Salbutamol IS a specified substance so no provisional suspension.

Specified in that you can legally have it in your system - it's just controlled by amount.

At least that's how I understand it and given that there is no provisional suspension the authorities see it that way too.

All items on the list are specified substances. The fact that he wasn't suspended in accordance with the guidelines provided by the UCI is what is worrying. Seems like preferential treatment. 

I think this is a massive improvement - a few years ago we had whole teams of riders with blood bags taped to walls getting paper bags full of HGH/Testosterone/EPO etc at the end of stages.

Now we're arguing about salbutamol. 

The trend is heading the right way I reckon.

All items on the list are specified substances. The fact that he wasn't suspended in accordance with the guidelines provided by the UCI is what is worrying. Seems like preferential treatment. 

In that case I'm well confused - the UCI themselves said CF didn't need a provisional suspension:

UCI statement on Christopher Froome13 December 2017

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirms that British rider Christopher Froome was notified of an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) of Salbutamol in excess of 1000ng/ml (*) in a sample collected during the Vuelta a España on 7 September 2017. The rider was notified of the AAF on 20 September 2017.

The anti-doping control was planned and carried out by the Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF), the independent body mandated by the UCI, in charge of defining and implementing the anti-doping strategy in cycling.

The analysis of the B sample has confirmed the results of the rider’s A sample and the proceedings are being conducted in line with the UCI Anti-Doping Rules.

As a matter of principle, and whilst not required by the World Anti-Doping Code, the UCI systematically reports potential anti-doping rule violations via its website when a mandatory provisional suspension applies. Pursuant to Article 7.9.1. of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the presence of a Specified Substance such as Salbutamol in a sample does not result in the imposition of such mandatory provisional suspension against the rider.

At this stage of the procedure, the UCI will not comment any further on this matter.

(*) WADA’s Prohibited List provides that: “The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.”