Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

Here is clause 7.9.1

7.9.1 Mandatory Provisional Suspension based on certain Adverse Analytical Findings When an Adverse Analytical Finding is reported for a Prohibited Substance other than a Specified Substance or for a Prohibited Method, the UCI shall promptly impose a Provisional Suspension upon the review and notification described in Article 7.2 or 7.3, as applicable.

They use the word "prohibited" - salbutamol is not prohibited.

They have wiggle room in 7.9.3:

7.9.3 Provisional Suspension based on an Adverse Analytical Finding for Specified Substances, Contaminated Products, or for other Anti-Doping Rule Violations For any potential anti-doping rule violation under these Anti-Doping Rules asserted after a review under Article 7 and not covered by Article 7.9.1 or 7.9.2, the UCI may impose a Provisional Suspension prior to analysis of the Rider’s B Sample (where applicable) or prior to a final hearing as described in Article 8.

Ok so my take is this - if the substance is prohibited then mandatory provisional suspension - if the substance is specified then the UCI MAY   impose a provisional suspension.

Salbutamol is specified not prohibited so provisional suspension was not mandatory.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a matter of fact ...

In 2007 (Approximately ) CF applied for a life insurance policy here in SA .

I know 100% that he stated asthma as a pre existing condition , on his application .

Thanks Popit

Amazing how this fact has been ignored so far by the prosecution committee

(*) WADA’s Prohibited List provides that: “The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.”

A question to those in the know - is this pharmacokinetic study clause explicitly stated for any other substances? 

Thanks Popit

Amazing how this fact has been ignored so far by the prosecution committee

Anyone know if it states exercise induced asthma or not..[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(*) WADA’s Prohibited List provides that: “The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.”

A question to those in the know - is this pharmacokinetic study clause explicitly stated for any other substances?

Who does the pharmacokinetic test..do the UCI do it or do they get to get their own "independent" guy do it..[emoji6]

Who does the pharmacokinetic test..do the UCI do it or do they get to get their own "independent" guy do it..[emoji6]

Yo. Someone is stirring like a champion today ????????

Yo. Someone is stirring like a champion today [emoji16][emoji16]

May as well [emoji6]

No it's a real question..wasn't Jeroen involved with his last set of 'independent' tests on Froome.. that oke is so far from being independent when it comes to Froome it's scary.

Is this still a thing or have we forgiven the doper?

Still a few weeks till the 2018 starts..we'll hang about here a while longer[emoji6]

Here is clause 7.9.1

7.9.1 Mandatory Provisional Suspension based on certain Adverse Analytical Findings When an Adverse Analytical Finding is reported for a Prohibited Substance other than a Specified Substance or for a Prohibited Method, the UCI shall promptly impose a Provisional Suspension upon the review and notification described in Article 7.2 or 7.3, as applicable.

They use the word "prohibited" - salbutamol is not prohibited.

They have wiggle room in 7.9.3:

7.9.3 Provisional Suspension based on an Adverse Analytical Finding for Specified Substances, Contaminated Products, or for other Anti-Doping Rule Violations For any potential anti-doping rule violation under these Anti-Doping Rules asserted after a review under Article 7 and not covered by Article 7.9.1 or 7.9.2, the UCI may impose a Provisional Suspension prior to analysis of the Rider’s B Sample (where applicable) or prior to a final hearing as described in Article 8.

Ok so my take is this - if the substance is prohibited then mandatory provisional suspension - if the substance is specified then the UCI MAY   impose a provisional suspension.

Salbutamol is specified not prohibited so provisional suspension was not mandatory.

Lots of smoke and mirrors, kinda like our Jacob spending a fortune in legal fees. 

May this, might that..... I think he was given special treatment.  

Still a few weeks till the 2018 starts..we'll hang about here a while longer[emoji6]

It's holiday time... go outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air !!  :P

Lots of smoke and mirrors, kinda like our Jacob spending a fortune in legal fees. 

May this, might that..... I think he was given special treatment.  

Ulissi was suspended but it looks like it was by the team not by the UCI so there looks to be some consistency by the UCI.

Whether SKY should have suspended CF is, of course, another debate!!!!

Edit: Jacob has to pay personally for his latest delay/appeal on appointing an anti corruption panel. Go Mogoeng mogoeng!!!

Edited by Eldron

In other news...Disney have bought Fox.. what does this mean for Sky...well Fox own a big part of Sky

Could they become Team Mickey Mouse.. ????????????[emoji6]

Please excuse me I go on leave tomorrow and have way too much time on my hands.

How many times would CF have had to suck on that inhaler during the stage to get to the levels he was tested at? 10 X, 20 X, 30 X?

So either he sucked that inhaler dry during that stage (which would have been very noticeable), or he had taken a pill. 

In other news...Disney have bought Fox.. what does this mean for Sky...well Fox own a big part of Sky

Could they become Team Mickey Mouse.. [emoji6]

Please excuse me I go on leave tomorrow and have way too much time on my hands.

Disney own Star Wars... so kit may go back to Darth Vader look and more borgs  :w00t:  :whistling:

Ulissi was suspended but it looks like it was by the team not by the UCI so there looks to be some consistency by the UCI.

Whether SKY should have suspended CF is, of course, another debate!!!!

No no no.. he is a resident of Switzerland and holds a Swiss licence..they don't mess around.. and have very strict rules..that's why he was banned..remember first your national federation with who you are licensed with will ban or won't ban you... if UCI and WADA aren't happy they can appeal the decision and it can go to the CAS ..refer to Contador's case.[emoji6]