[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo 2018

Events Bot

Are you going to hike out up Die Leer?

I actually really would like to.  Have a spare day there before needing to ride out, so this could be an option.  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who plans to ride the Gran Fondo and the next day ride into the Hell, then hike climb up the Ladder, before riding out again, has my full respect. :thumbup: Just thinking about it hurts more than I can handle.  :blush:

I actually really would like to.  Have a spare day there before needing to ride out, so this could be an option.  

Do it

It is awesome!

I have only ever done it bleeding out of my eyeballs and sleep deprived on Freedom challenge but it is always something I look forward to. Awesome adventure!

You running Sram or Shimano?

What derailleur do you use for this?]

I think that this is where 1x will get caught out.

I know that I need everything my granny has got to get up the pass but also that I went through Meiringspoort cruising at 45kph in my big ring.(tailwind assisted).

I will be running a 50-34 compact road crank and a 11-42 cassette. I hope it will be enough up the hill. I am practicing my walking solong

No need to reply, ive just read it all, interesting.

i will run SRAM 1 x 11.

40 front with 10-42 mtb casette at the back. Force long cage derailleur

You running Sram or Shimano?

What derailleur do you use for this?]

OK!.Panic has set in .Planning for survival and finishing only .Riding with A HT and mtb tyres 1 x 10 .34 oval x 11 x 42 .I think that is ok for the climbs,but to slow for the majority of the event .Should i put a 36 in front  for my 100kg or put the front derailer back 

OK!.Panic has set in .Planning for survival and finishing only .Riding with A HT and mtb tyres 1 x 10 .34 oval x 11 x 42 .I think that is ok for the climbs,but to slow for the majority of the event .Should i put a 36 in front  for my 100kg or put the front derailer back 

To help with a bit of additional speed on the tar, you might want to consider using 40c gravel tyres.  If you order from CWC this morning, you will have them by Thursday.  The 36 will then also come in handy.

OK!.Panic has set in .Planning for survival and finishing only. 

Me too  :blush:

I think I will be be burning more calories than I can carry wth me, so food will be important.

The race details mention 4 water points.

Can anyone tell we what to expect at the water points as far as food and drink goes ?  

So disco shoes or mountain bike?

I'll be suffering on an endurance road bike, so the road shoes seem fitting  ;)

So disco shoes,  mountain bike or Hiking boots   ?

I'll be suffering on an endurance road bike, so the road shoes seem fitting  ;)

Fixed

Edited by eddy

Me too  :blush:

I think I will be be burning more calories than I can carry wth me, so food will be important.

The race details mention 4 water points.

Can anyone tell we what to expect at the water points as far as food and drink goes ?  

That area is used to catering for many events, including the CPT.

Expect the very best in Karoo hospitality with a great spread, from Ostrich sosaties to the normal stuff you see at the events.  Perhaps carry a few bananas.