[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo 2018

Events Bot

I have stopped laughing so time to give my race report.

After an uneventful drive from Jo'burg, a lovely pre-race dinner, a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast, we set off for the start and decided to go via the pass to refresh the climb in my memory.

Near Droe Waterval the ominous clank-clank alerted us to something unusual happening behind us in the dark.

Yip, instead of the bike dragging me up the hill, the car was dragging it down the hill.

Instead of the ride I had a few beers and felt better.

post-50-0-24544500-1525002759_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-28985700-1525002853_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-12876500-1525002989_thumb.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After an uneventful drive from Jo'burg, a lovely pre-race dinner, a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast, we set off for the start and decided to go via the pass to refresh the climb in my memory.

Near Droe Waterval the ominous clank-clank alerted us to something unusual happening behind us in the dark.

Yip, instead of the bike dragging me up the hill, the car was dragging it down the hill.

Holy **** Eddy. You (and your bike) have my sincerest sympathy. That was a really terrible way to have your race ruined. I would have recommended Whiskey (stronger and definitely more medicinal) rather than beer, plus some swearing in Afrikaans! 

Wow Eddy hard luck it was such an awesome race, pity you had to miss it

Ja, well, at least I can plan what to replace it with and Big John has offered to transfer my entry to next year.

They also said that they would find me a bike to do the medio if I wanted.

It seemed like a great event and we watched the leaders come through at the turn near Cango.

As I said last year, I'll do it next year.

Could have loaned you a bike ...

Thanks, but by the time we got to town, parked and walked to rhe start, time was too tight to have made the start.

Thanks, but by the time we got to town, parked and walked to rhe start, time was too tight to have made the start.

That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I feel your pain

I had a good ride!  For about 100km...  After that it was just pain and suffering.  Managed to get 10th overall coming down the Swartberg pass though, so I was happy.  Heard Jewbacca's name being called out at the prize giving as the winner of the bike, but he wasn't there.  I would have cried.  

The next day we rode into Die Hel - that was hard.  Much harder than I was expecting it to be.  So rough and unrelenting.  Rode to the end of the valley to look where the ladder is, but the enthusiasm for actually going up was non existent.  Rode out of Die Hel the next day, and it actually felt alright, and I scored third fastest overall down Swartberg Pass.  :clap:  

Cycled to work this morning, dreaming of rough rocky roads in the middle of nowhere 

Awful luck eddy, what a bummer, particularly after all the stress of getting those parts on time!

jeepers... that looks bad. hope things can be made 100% again.

jeepers... that looks bad. hope things can be made 100% again.

Not going to polish out easily...

Really really unfortunate event indeed.