[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo 2018

Events Bot

Nope. Road shifter not compatible with MTB RD.

True for Shimano, not for Sram.

Sram road shifters and MTB derailleurs are all compatible so you can mix and match.

I bought a set of 10sp Red shifters and an XO med cage RD on the Hub from guys who had upgraded.

Cheap as chips and works perfectly.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the top of the pass is at 12%... all this talk of how steep it is had me thinking, how steep is 12%?

I see the detour in Tokai was at 11.2%, so it's a little bit steeper than that and a bit longer.

Cool... Panic averted. I was starting to think it was an insurmountable wall of mayhem and needed to put rugby studs in the front of my shoes!

Patch, I am pretty sure you will be able to get up that 1:1 ratio sitting down.

Guys are making a mountain out of a mountain....  :ph34r:

I see the top of the pass is at 12%... all this talk of how steep it is had me thinking, how steep is 12%?

I see the detour in Tokai was at 11.2%, so it's a little bit steeper than that and a bit longer.

Cool... Panic averted. I was starting to think it was an insurmountable wall of mayhem and needed to put rugby studs in the front of my shoes!

Patch, I am pretty sure you will be able to get up that 1:1 ratio sitting down.

Guys are making a mountain out of a mountain....  :ph34r:

With all due respect, I can't see any of us hackers riding up there with 32 x 32 sitting down. 

With all due respect, I can't see any of us hackers riding up there with 32 x 32 sitting down. 

hahahahaha I was sowing the seeds of optimism!

I've only ever ridden up that pass 34:20 with 1500km in my legs in the dark on Freedom challenge. I don't remember dying, but I did stop to 'take some photo's' at the top. But memory is a funny thing... 

28th of April we will see.

After 140 km already in the legs 8, 9, 10, 11, 12% turns into one hell of a wall to climb no matter what gears you have.

Also, climbing the Swartberg Pass from the Oudtshoorn side, it starts out relatively civil, but then it gets steeper and steeper as you near the Top, and it never gives you a level or an easy gradient where you can recover a little.

Why did you go TanPan and not road link with 105 long cage?

I am going 1x on my CX but have Shimano R785s, so going roadlink instead with a 11-40 cassette

The road RD spring tension is pretty weak compared to the MTB RD, plus the XT RD have a clutch as well which helps with chain retention. Riding a Cannodale slate with the lefty makes it a good gravel bike which is close to a hardtail MTB. I stay in Middelburg MP which has a lot of dirt roads, but its not the kind of quality you would see in WC. 

Going 1x will work using a 105 RD, but not sure if the chain will stay on if the road turns bad, I guess a chain guide will help in that matter. 

I also havent experienced the road link before, but from what I know from couple years back when 1x10 conversions was a thing, adjusting the B-tension so that the RD further away from the cassette to allow the larger gear ratio, did make the shifting less crisp, so the road link might have similar effect on shifting quality.

Also, climbing the Swartberg Pass from the Oudtshoorn side, it starts out relatively civil, but then it gets steeper and steeper as you near the Top, and it never gives you a level or an easy gradient where you can recover a little.

True that. The last 3km is madness. IF you still feel good there, it will take you around 20min, IF you are dying, closer to 40min

I've only ever ridden up that pass 34:20 with 1500km in my legs in the dark on Freedom challenge. I don't remember dying, but I did stop to 'take some photo's' at the top. But memory is a funny thing... 

Interesting that that should be your reference, and it got me thinking. And it is playing mind-games with me now.

For me the pass is a very different ride from the South than it is from the North which is where you climbed from and where we will descend.

I am purposely NOT looking at my Garmin records of my rides as they will introduce facts into my memories.

I recall that I suffered more from the South. From the North you have more climbing but over a longer distance. The South was steeper, particularly as you approach the top.

Also, from the North you have a bit of a saddle, with a dip before the final 4-5 km push to the summit. I also think that this is where the road to die Hel turns off, so not quite at he top.

Either way, I have ridden to the top from both sides, at various levels of fitness.  Sometimes carrying kit, sometimes not but always finding it a thrill making it. 

Edited by eddy

Interesting that that should be your reference, and it got me thinking. And it is playing mind-games with me now.

For me the pass is a very different ride from the South than it is from the North which is where you climbed from and where we will descend.

I am purposely NOT looking at my Garmin records of my rides as they will introduce facts into my memories.

I recall that I suffered more from the South. From the North you have more climbing but over a longer distance. The South was steeper, particularly as you approach the top.

Also, from the North you have a bit of a saddle, with a dip before the final 4-5 km push to the summit. I also think that this is where the road to die Hel turns off, so not quite at he top.

Either way, I have ridden to the top from both sides, at various levels of fitness.  Sometimes carrying kit, sometimes not but always finding it a thrill making it. 

I think it is generally less of a bastard from the Prince Albert side. As FC are my only first hand memories, it is also playing mind games with me.

But between now and then there are 3 and a half months of solid ground work, an XCO series and I 'should' be in seriously decent shape with Expedition Africa starting in mid May, so despite being daunting, it isn't going to give me sleepless nights.

Trying to decide whether to hit it with gears or not though... which makes it a completely different kettle of fish

I think it is generally less of a bastard from the Prince Albert side. ..............

Correct

Ill be taking loads of photos on the way up with my 34/32  :whistling:

Thinking of this a bit more. 

If JCZA could ride Ouberg during the Karoobaix with his Cx bike, then we have nothing to worry about.  Mind you, he is as strong as an ox!!!