[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo 2018

Events Bot

Currently the worst sections are on the Oudtshoorn side .

On the pass or on the previous dirt section ?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Pass itself . Haven't done the Oude Muragie road for a while . Will try and do it before GF and report

Thx.

Is it worse on Southern side because the PA side is good, or because the south is bad ?

At least the roed surface is not a factor when I am walikng

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up in the early hrs this morning in a panic because I was about to miss the 14:45 cut-off at WP4. From the website: "If you don't make water-point 4 by 2:45pm the sweep bus will take you home."

Just checked the website and see something that I never noticed before.  On the profile graphic WP4 is shown at about 137km after the first section of the pass.

However, in the text in the route description WP4 is at the summit of Swartberg, at 148 km. "Waterpoints:  4. "Die Top" Swartberg Pass summit - gravel - 148km  (1570m)"

I know it's only 11km but within that 11km lies some time grabbing walking.

Anyone able to confirm which is corredt?

I woke up in the early hrs this morning in a panic because I was about to miss the 14:45 cut-off at WP4. From the website: "If you don't make water-point 4 by 2:45pm the sweep bus will take you home."

Just checked the website and see something that I never noticed before.  On the profile graphic WP4 is shown at about 137km after the first section of the pass.

However, in the text in the route description WP4 is at the summit of Swartberg, at 148 km. "Waterpoints:  4. "Die Top" Swartberg Pass summit - gravel - 148km  (1570m)"

Don't have the answer, but it makes more sense to have the WP at the bottom of the pass.  At the top, is only the 16km downhill back to PA left.

Hope your dream doesn't come true :-)

I noticed a discrepancy between website and e-mail too.

What I've taken from it is:

1. The route profile is from last year/previous years and is still the same (obviously)

2. Don't consider the water points on the profile graph. I'm taking the water points as stated in their most recent communication/e-mail.

To me, it makes more sense as to where they're placing the new water points. Especially because in the "old" profile there were 5 water points and I think they're realised that this may have been redundant, thus removing the first WP at the top of the first climb (considering it's only 25km into the race on a tar road).

Starting to get to the point where I am thinking, panicking about amount of training done....

Treat it like you treat an Audax ride. Start slowish, and then go even slower. 

You'll be fine!!

Treat it like you treat an Audax ride. Start slowish, and then go even slower. 

You'll be fine!!

I did a 200km Audax in Feb. They set off at a blistering pace and sped up after half way...

I did a 200km Audax in Feb. They set off at a blistering pace and sped up after half way...

:D

B.t.w. If any of you still have energy left to look at the scenery when you are coming down the Swartberg Pass, especially the last kilometre of two where you exit through the narrow kloof, note how the river is completely clear of vegetation and how nicely the road and the retaining walls were repaired. I think the road builders did a stellar job to rebuild that road in less than a year after it was washed away in a flash flood, right down to bedrock. If you didn't know, it would be easy to miss that anything was done to it because they fixed it to match the original as it was built about a 130 years ago. OK, I know this race is all about the suffering........but look left and right anyway!

Apologies we will update cut off times etc. shortly and send out a communication.

Water points and cut-off times have shifted since 2016

I noticed a discrepancy between website and e-mail too.

What I've taken from it is:

1. The route profile is from last year/previous years and is still the same (obviously)

2. Don't consider the water points on the profile graph. I'm taking the water points as stated in their most recent communication/e-mail.

To me, it makes more sense as to where they're placing the new water points. Especially because in the "old" profile there were 5 water points and I think they're realised that this may have been redundant, thus removing the first WP at the top of the first climb (considering it's only 25km into the race on a tar road).

:D  :D  :D  These youngsters, probably Pieter Avenant and the gang!!!  Mind you, we went quite fast at the recent one too.  200km is the new 100km.  The 600km will (should) be slow... 

B.t.w. If any of you still have energy left to look at the scenery when you are coming down the Swartberg Pass, especially the last kilometre of two where you exit through the narrow kloof, note how the river is completely clear of vegetation and how nicely the road and the retaining walls were repaired. I think the road builders did a stellar job to rebuild that road in less than a year after it was washed away in a flash flood, right down to bedrock. If you didn't know, it would be easy to miss that anything was done to it because they fixed it to match the original as it was built about a 130 years ago. OK, I know this race is all about the suffering........but look left and right anyway!

Agree, we were there in December, and the rebuild was done to a stunning standard.  Gasped when I saw the table at the picnic site at Eerste Water halfway covered in sand from the flood. It was a serious amount of water that came down the pass. 

Edited by Underachiever

I'll be suffering there as well  :clap:  I doubt I'll see anyone after PA though...  

Riding into Die Hel the day after too - going to be a lekka bike weekend 

I'll be suffering there as well  :clap:  I doubt I'll see anyone after PA though...  

Riding into Die Hel the day after too - going to be a lekka bike weekend 

Are you going to hike out up Die Leer?

Really amped about this. Scared I am not going to get the gear ratio right, but if I have to walk I have to walk.

39/19 or 39/20 is the current conundrum...