How hardcore is Cyclo-cross!?

peetwindhoek

CX is awesome to watch..those riders are tough as nails..courses are hard conditions are challenging, full gas from start to finish.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to do cyclo-cross in the UK & europe in the off season from road and I promise it was more hard work than 99% of the tar season and you came into the spring races so strong.

Those top guys are super skilled and hella fit. Lost track of the times I'd freeze my ass off in a race, vomit from the exertions, turn blue and then have my parents wrap me up in everything possible, chuck me in the car race home and thaw me out on a hot bath for hours until I stopped shaking. Bloody loved it. 

I rode British National 24 hour champs a few years ago and the warmest temperature we had was 4 degrees... Snow, sleet, rain and mist were the order of the day. It was rad

I rode British National 24 hour champs a few years ago and the warmest temperature we had was 4 degrees... Snow, sleet, rain and mist were the order of the day. It was rad

Damnit

Sounds like so much fun

????

The 4 horsemen of the Cyclocross. :)

hahahahahaha

Nothing quite as exhilarating as when that off camber grassy downhill to corner has turned into a mud slide and the only way down is on your bum with your bike above your head! 

I did a "Mountainbike Race" this weekend in Midvaal, nothing mountain about it. We did 15km out on a provincial dirt road and back, would have probably aced it if I took my Spez Tarmac along. We Saffers really have some weird concepts around what mountainbiking is.

Not sure whether we will get people on CX bikes in big numbers, even though we have all the right routes and conditions for it to flourish...

PS. Respect to the guy on the Single Speed, flippen almost beat me at the end  :thumbup:

Indeed!!

It took a trip to Rotarua in New Zealand to see average mountain bikers, male or female, flying down gnarly, muddy, off-camber single track over huge drops on 160mm bikes; to realize that 95% of what we call "mountain biking" here is actually just off-road cycling or gravel riding.

Indeed!!

It took a trip to Rotarua in New Zealand to see average mountain bikers, male or female, flying down gnarly, muddy, off-camber single track over huge drops on 160mm bikes; to realize that 95% of what we call "mountain biking" here is actually just off-road cycling or gravel riding.

And for some of us less gifted that's enough ...

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

although no 24 entered the stairs after him and exited at the same time...,[emoji848]

I don't think that's important.... CX motto is 'if you can't win the race win the crowd'... so top guys who had mechanicals or fell early on and won't catch the leading bunch will often do really silly things like this, or ride the muddy bank at full speed or bunny hop the 40mm's to win the crowd and add some flare to the race.

One of the man reasons why it won't catch on in SA. Even the mid markers are SO competitive they won't have some fun at a race because it might cost them a place... 42nd instead of 38th... 

It's a thing

would be the ideal format for kids to start racing in s.a... teach them to be hungry for results and not expect a medal if you participate...

Never mind kids... EVERYONE!

You can set it up in the park, on the greenbelt, at a school etc... It is super spectator friendly, the skills are awesome and it is also really fun. Tough, but really fun

I don't think that's important.... CX motto is 'if you can't win the race win the crowd'... so top guys who had mechanicals or fell early on and won't catch the leading bunch will often do really silly things like this, or ride the muddy bank at full speed or bunny hop the 40mm's to win the crowd and add some flare to the race.

One of the man reasons why it won't catch on in SA. Even the mid markers are SO competitive they won't have some fun at a race because it might cost them a place... 42nd instead of 38th...

It's a thing

I couldn't find the sarcasm emoji

Don't worry I get it

although no 24 entered the stairs after him and exited at the same time...,[emoji848]

Nope he exited behind and....

Its where they are afterwards and thats not on film. In cylo cross the difference is often not made on the thing the one rides and the other runs but just after. The guy hopping is clipped in an wil get a nice advantage accelerating away opposite to the guy having to get one on the bike and two clipped in.

Just check some footage of them hopping the pieces of wood. Also too see who pushed up the heartrate the most. Often the runners keep up but blow a bit further on.

I used to coach kids road and cyclo cross. My boys and girls where actually riding on a decent level. 

Edited by The Crazy German