Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

I would have like to join/continue on this group this year as I was doing so well up until August/September last year. I was probably in the best shape of my life wrt fitness and muscle etc., but now I have been told to pick up weight, apparently between 12.5-16kgs ........not a blerrie hell, I am going for 10kg's+ max.

I will join the Weight loss challenge after end-June in full force for sure! Will need some motivation. :unsure:

Hmmmm a baby making machine shouldn't be worried about a thread like this Hayley.

Enjoy the journey and get fat.

With your active lifestyle you will be back to normal in no time

In my humble opinion

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue what is going on. I’m eating properly and working out 4 days a week and I’ve managed to gain weight.

Breakfast: oats, banana, honey, beetroot, carrot, flax and chia, 2 strawberriesmilk, low fat greek yogurt and ginger.

Snack: 2 fruit

Lunch: Either tuna, 2 eggs, or 100g of cheese with two low carb wraps.

Dinner: meat with veg

Workout: 30min weights 30min run

I take my dinner...slide half into a container and into the fridge for the next day lunch.

The food sounds okay. Perhaps try oats for breakfast, two pieces of fruit for a mid morning snack, something like a small to medium portion of spaghetti bolognese, two pieces of fruit for a mid afternoon snack, and meat and salad for dinner.

Drink water if you're feeling hungry in between. Have you cut out sugar?

Everyones body is different though, that's just what I consumed to lose weight in 2015.

Also is it light weight training you're doing? Maybe try 45 minutes of running and 15 minutes of light weight training? I could be wrong so perhaps one of the clever people will have a better answer.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I follow much the same regime for food daily . My training is a lot more intense though . I lost 24kg in 6 months last year . 

Breakfast: oats, banana, honey, beetroot, carrot, flax and chia, 2 strawberriesmilk, low fat greek yogurt and ginger.

Snack: 2 fruit

Lunch: Either tuna, 2 eggs, or 100g of cheese with two low carb wraps.

Dinner: meat with veg

Workout: 30min weights 30min run

I might be wrong, but that is a very high carb breakfast? High protein breakfasts are supposed to be very beneficial for weight loss. What worked for me in the past is to go low carb and up the protein and fat somewhat. All of us are different though, might be worth to experiment somewhat. Read this perhaps: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-at-breakfast-and-weight-loss

The food sounds okay. Perhaps try oats for breakfast, two pieces of fruit for a mid morning snack, something like a small to medium portion of spaghetti bolognese, two pieces of fruit for a mid afternoon snack, and meat and salad for dinner.

Drink water if you're feeling hungry in between. Have you cut out sugar?

Everyones body is different though, that's just what I consumed to lose weight in 2015.

Also is it light weight training you're doing? Maybe try 45 minutes of running and 15 minutes of light weight training? I could be wrong so perhaps one of the clever people will have a better answer.

Yea I only get sugar from the food mentioned above. I drink between 3 and 4l a day. I use a 6kg dumbell for 3 reps of ten of these https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1r9toPQNkM . Will move to a 8kg one as soon as I feel I’m stronger.

Yea I only get sugar from the food mentioned above. I drink between 3 and 4l a day. I use a 6kg dumbell for 3 reps of ten of these

. Will move to a 8kg one as soon as I feel I’m stronger.

I've never been to one, so not sure if it's in the same category as a tarot reading :P , but maybe see a dietitian?

Week one was brilliant for me - 4kg down. Week 2, my back went, I couldn’t gym and ended up with a whole lot of South African goodies and a braai on Sunday. No weight gain, but no loss either. Have a physio this morning and hoping she lets me back to the exercise, as I struggle to be disciplined with food when I am not exercising daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I follow much the same regime for food daily . My training is a lot more intense though . I lost 24kg in 6 months last year .

Yip, the more intense the training, the more weight you will lose.

I think I would've lost more weight in 2015 if I went to GetFit 3 days a week instead of twice a week. Granted, some of the people who I was doing GetFit with were doing other exercises in between. At one stage the prize money was R20000, and whoever lost the most weight, got the prize.

Yip, the more intense the training, the more weight you will lose.

I think I would've lost more weight in 2015 if I went to GetFit 3 days a week instead of twice a week. Granted, some of the people who I was doing GetFit with were doing other exercises in between. At one stage the prize money was R20000, and whoever lost the most weight, got the prize.

For 20k I would have become anorexic... :P

I've never been to one, so not sure if it's in the same category as a tarot reading :P , but maybe see a dietitian?

Hahaha! Norrafok.

So maybe just for fun:

Breakfast: 80g cereal

snack 1:    5 provitas with 80g of smooth fat free cottage cheese

Lunch:       Tuna with two table spoons of Trim and a green salad (2 x cocktail cucumber, 2 x gherkins and a quarter avo)

Snack 2:    150g of fat free Bulgarian yogurt with either an apple or banana cut into pieces with cinnamon

pre-training snack thingy: 50g of whey protein drink in water/ice

Dinner: whatever my wife makes but I manage the portion size and I do the dishes to burn extra calories.

Late-evening-should-I-feel-I-am-going-to-eat-something-stupid-right-now-snack: 50g whey protein in water/ice

Picking up where I left off. 

December was... well, you all know what it was. It was also a month of excess, minimal exercise and lots of relaxation with the family and friends up in Durban. From mid November at the lightest I've been in 7 years or so, to full on self-sabotage. 

I got on the scale after I got back, and even though it was a different scale, I knew it was right - I was back up to 104kg. 

This isn't a pity party though. I've got myself together, and not only can't I afford to eat a lot (moving into my own place and divorce is expensive) I can't afford to carry on waffling like I did last year. 

So. My goal for January is 25 hours on the bike. I'm already at 8, and I should be at 13 by Thursday. My OTHER goal, is to get back to 100.5kg. I have no idea what my weight is at the moment, 'cos I have no scale to get on to. That's not a priority for me at the moment. 

Living by myself and having my lightie every 2nd weekend, and every Monday, may be the best thing for this fitness journey yet. Tomorrow, I'm climbing India Venster and back down via Platteklip after work. This weekend, I have my boy, so exercise will be limited to what I can do at home. Body-weight exercises FTW. 

I'm trusting that this year will be less waffle, and more results. I sure as fk need it. Let's go. 

Picking up where I left off.

December was... well, you all know what it was. It was also a month of excess, minimal exercise and lots of relaxation with the family and friends up in Durban. From mid November at the lightest I've been in 7 years or so, to full on self-sabotage.

I got on the scale after I got back, and even though it was a different scale, I knew it was right - I was back up to 104kg.

This isn't a pity party though. I've got myself together, and not only can't I afford to eat a lot (moving into my own place and divorce is expensive) I can't afford to carry on waffling like I did last year.

So. My goal for January is 25 hours on the bike. I'm already at 8, and I should be at 13 by Thursday. My OTHER goal, is to get back to 100.5kg. I have no idea what my weight is at the moment, 'cos I have no scale to get on to. That's not a priority for me at the moment.

Living by myself and having my lightie every 2nd weekend, and every Monday, may be the best thing for this fitness journey yet. Tomorrow, I'm climbing India Venster and back down via Platteklip after work. This weekend, I have my boy, so exercise will be limited to what I can do at home. Body-weight exercises FTW.

I'm trusting that this year will be less waffle, and more results. I sure as fk need it. Let's go.

Good luck Myles.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm in again... December was not kind, nearly 4kgs on for my efforts, despite being pretty active throughout the holidays. Diet is clearly pretty crucial for me in terms of weight loss. Beer is my real weakness, but finding the migration to Whiskey near on impossible. I'll work on that still though!

Could definitely feel the extra kilos on a half marathon this last weekend, managed to still sneak a sub 2hour, but yeah, my legs aren't impressed with the extra workload.

Goal weight 85kgs by Comrades time, and the secondary goal is to pretty much keep it there through the year, although I will definitely allow myself a little recovery time after it... just need to keep it in check though.

Good luck everyone, look forward to the stories - and remember, most importantly, this isn't easy, you need to want it, want it enough to say goodbye to some of the good stuff and the other little gremlins that line our abs with lard  ;)

Edited by Andrew Steer