Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

I don't normally crave anything after a ride, more the night before a ride strangely enough. I crave sweet stuff, but then I substitute with a fruit or a Jungle Oats peanut butter bar.

Did a 20km ride this morning and I had run out of cracker bread for lunch, so I had a bunch of grapes.

Did a bacon and egg breakfast for the missus and I this morning. Eish bacon and egg on cracker bread is weird, the missus had hers on toast.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well done man! I use wraps instead of bread. They have these low cal low carb wraps here in quite lekker flavours so a “bacon” and egg wrap is not too poef. Been eating oats cooked in milk and cinamon with maple syrup over the weekends. Man thats good. Well done guys and girls!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done man! I use wraps instead of bread. They have these low cal low carb wraps here in quite lekker flavours so a “bacon” and egg wrap is not too poef. Been eating oats cooked in milk and cinamon with maple syrup over the weekends. Man thats good. Well done guys and girls!

Wraps are my go to meals for lunch if I get a takeaway [emoji106]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

So I've been uh'ming and ah'ing for a while now to make some sort of personal contribution to this group.

I've always been around the 90kg mark and since I started cycling about 3-4 years ago it feels like my weight has been very difficult to contain.

I eat fairly healthy, no fast food, etc, but I have noticed I am eating much larger portions nowadays. My current weight is around the 96-98km mark.

I am just at a loss at some of the guys out on their bikes weighing 50-60kg.

My biggest vice is that cycling makes me very thirsty for a beer.

I feel like I'm seriously craving the gassy feeling of the beer - coke helps too, but seriously a beer is just so much more enjoyable. Problem is, I can easily knock down 2 beers straight after a weekend ride. After a race I can do a few more.

What cravings have some of you guys get after a ride and how do you deal with it?

Of do you indulge as a reward?

I

I don’t really crave after a ride, but on a long ride, I start to think about burgers, chips, milkshakes etc.

On the beer thing, I have a deep and longstanding love for beer and Guinness. So far this year, I have managed to really limit both. I think I have had two beers so far. As the man said, the scale is more important to me just now .

I'm sure you've seen that thing that says something like, "You should cycle 20 minutes every day, unless you're too busy, then you should cycle for an hour."

Is there not perhaps some way to work in a stress reliever, or at least make the meal and shake intake at the same regular intervals? If the body knows it gets fueled regularly it helps.

Is commuting perhaps an option? I find it is a huge help to get that time on the bike.

Admittedly some days you aren't thinking about work because some jackass nearly hit you in the traffic (or actually clipped you like I had the other day - fortunately I stayed on the bike), but more often than not it's just the fun of being on the bike that makes the day better.

Commuting at the moment is not an option.  I have to be on site at 06H30 in the mornings and it is close to the CBD, and I do not think the client will like it as I need to get from there to another client on the same day.  I support them from 06H30 - 13H00 and then I need to be with another client from 14H00  to 16H00 and then back to the office so that the owner can see that I was there.  And all this with no break in between, because the owner decided it this way.

I think I should spend more time on the spinning bike.  Yesterday I just felt sick and depressed knowing what this week holds and waking up at 04H15 to get ready for work helps nothing as well.

I do need to make a plan as I am sick of being fat.  And the ass I work for cares only about his well being and not of his workers.  I have noted the gain after not taking the shakes at lunch due to work overload.  So think it is time I tell the boss to go shaft himself and chuck the law at him.

I do need to make a plan as I am sick of being fat.

Let me tell you what has worked for me.

I was told by my doctor that a modern approach for longterm weight management is NOT to eat less and exercise more, but the seperate the two.

If you exercise more, you never really learn what your base nutitional needs are. So, first learn to eat properly for your normal pysiological needs and then add exercise and fuel that seperately.

So if you can not cycle now, at least learn what level of nutrition your body needs to lose weight and focus on that.

Don't do shakes and sh!t for lunch. Pack a nutritious lunch: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, redpeppers, etc. Some tinned tuna and eat well.

When you get to ride regularly again, take in a bit extra for the day

So another week down, and more progress!

I am now down another kilo and really starting to firm up. Below is a picture of me wearing pants for my brothers wedding in  October 2016, when I started my journey. Have lost 37kgs thus far and have dropped from a 42 waist (pants in the picture) to very nearly a 34!

I have lots more work to do, and want to continue pushing the goal further. My success comes from one thing, small victories. Every little choice, adds up to something big! Each workout, each meal and each decision is that one step forwards!

Well done to all so far! You guys all inspire me to continue pushing forward! :thumbup:

*Edit: Forgot to attach the photo

post-81692-0-13632700-1519017877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juddvdb

That's awesome progress. February has unfortunately seem a bit of a plateau on my losses fro January so I am going to have to focus on doing all the right stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@ Judd. Awesome,well done! That is really inspirational to us all. Like your idea about small victories.

@ Beefy. Also reached a plateau in February. 98 kg excactly this morning. Not going to meet my goal of 94kg at the end of February any more. At least the last 3 days the scale started moving south again. Hopefully the end of the plateau. I think the biggest reason for my plateau in earlly February might be fruit. I am really eating healthy, and avoiding all forms of bread, crackers, potatoes and all other starches. Meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, eggs and dairy are the main ingredients in my eating plan. The quality, taste and sweetness of almost all of the in season fruits this year seems to me to be the best in years. The mangos and grapes are out of this world! At least the season of these are coming to an end soon. Will be trying to limit fruit intake somewhat.

So February has been a horrible month for me! My wife and I moved into the new house on the 29th of Jan, and there was ALLOT more work than expected - painting, sealing, waterproofing, skirtings, kitchen, etc etc. So I have been doing most of the work myself which has meant early mornings and late nights, lots of takeaway, and very little cycling. 

The first 2 weeks of hard manual labour ensured that I did not pick up any weigh I had lost in Jan, but the last week and a bit has been more admin stuff like sorting out the pool pump, installing internet, and a bunch of other stuff that takes up lots of my time, but doesn't require much physical work which has meant I have picked up 2kg! 

On top of that I only got on the bike 4 times this whole month, all short rides. This morning was my first day of getting back to my diet and exercise - and man, this morning on the bike was rough! I had zero energy, and just sukkeled all the way to the top of Helderberg - eating really has a huge effect on your performance. It's something I always knew, but this morning's experience just proved it to me again! 

Anyway, I managed to stay under the 100kg mark, but I am about 2kg behind my target weight for this week. Back to the grind!

So I've been uh'ming and ah'ing for a while now to make some sort of personal contribution to this group. 

I've always been around the 90kg mark and since I started cycling about 3-4 years ago it feels like my weight has been very difficult to contain.

I eat fairly healthy, no fast food, etc, but I have noticed I am eating much larger portions nowadays. My current weight is around the 96-98km mark.

I feel like I'm seriously craving the gassy feeling of the beer -  coke helps too, but seriously a beer is just so much more enjoyable. Problem is, I can easily knock down 2 beers straight after a weekend ride. After a race I can do a few more.

What cravings have some of you guys get after a ride and how do you deal with it?

I find tracking my calories  helps. I use the "lose it" app where you can set a weight loss goal and it allocates how many calories you can have per day.

https://www.loseit.com

I’m no longer a Buffalo, dipped under 90kg’s this week, for my height (194cm), I’m in the ideal weight range, but that range is vast, from 70 to 94kg.

mmm, the dreaded BMI... at 70kg, you'll look like a Belsen horror... rather not hey...

good job though!!

I feel like I'm seriously craving the gassy feeling of the beer - coke helps too, but seriously a beer is just so much more enjoyable. Problem is, I can easily knock down 2 beers straight after a weekend ride. After a race I can do a few more.

I

I know it seems extreme but I find the best way to reduce alcohol consumption is to cut it all together. If I dont I always end up drinking more than I should throughout the week and once you have done 3 days without booze the desire to drink reduces as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tea tottler, I love beer and wine I have just found this approach works best for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk