BOA Lace Replacement

HenryS

My dog got hold of my 5.10 Kestrel and chewed the boa lace. Funnily enough, she didn't damage any other part of the shoe. Who can repair this, or alternatively is it easy enough to do it myself? If it is, would fishing line be a suitable material to use?

The damaged goods:

http://bitsandpcs.co.za/images/kestrel2.jpg

The culprit:

http://bitsandpcs.co.za/images/roxy.jpg

Boa has a life time guarantee and free replacement

Just tell them that the lace has frayed.

https://store.theboasystem.com/warranty.php

Yup they will send you the parts, tool and a little manual how to fix it. Done when mines cap popped of and the cap mount got mangled.

On the fishing line tried that on broken Sidi's lasted me about 4-5 months before I had to redo(the original wire held maybe 5 years). Thats when riding several times a week s it held up quite nicely. But as said above drop them a mail and they send you the parts for Boa

That is the IP1 dial, (there are variations - the IP1 being the most common on most cycling shoes) so most dealers/stores should be able to get...

It takes me about 5 minutes per shoe to change the laces - its really easy, just a bit fiddly sometimes.

on the warranty, yes they have a lifetime warranty, but rather be honest - they are not that expensive for replacements, about R300 for a dial and lace with the tool...To be honest I would do both shoes at the same time.

Thank you very much for the info. I didn't realise Boa was a brand, I thought it was a general term for this system.

They send the warranty's through SAPO so it takes quite some time to get here

According to the website, it's sent via FedEx. They reckon 2-7 days.

Hmm but that's not what happened. Maybe it's just me but I would worry about karma biting me in the ass every time I wore the shoes.

On the website, it doesn't ask what happened; just what part is broken.

I had a bad fall a week ago and the Boa was one of the parts on my shoe that took the brunt of the impact. I bought a Fizik "specific"* IP1-S from a online cycling store in Italy for R276 for the right dial, the left side dial on my shoe is still perfect.

I've used the Boa warranty for a seized dial on my left shoe just after buying the shoes from Bikemob and the shipped the replacement kit, but as BaGearA said they shipped that kit with SAPO and took nearly a month to get to me.

*tongue in cheek comment.... ;)  I know an IP1 is an IP1, Boa does not make the IP1 specifically for Fizik.....

Edited by Traveler

According to the website, it's sent via FedEx. They reckon 2-7 days.

I've been waiting 8 months.. just went out and bought new ones.

How long will shipping take?

They provided an ETA of 10-15 days, shipping with DHL Express; considering how quick DHL is when you buy from CRC I cannot believe it will take that long. But I cannot ride now anyway so I am ok with that.

I've seen BOA kits at Spez Concept Stores also, but I cannot recall which BOA models it was that they stocked.

Scott, Bontrager, Gearne, Shimano all use the same IP1 dial system so most stores should have or be able to get spares...