Do you know what Blood Type you are?

Bonus

Is there any merit to stick all your pers.details ie blood gr,organ, donor next of kin etc to your top tube or is it better to wear an ICE bracelet?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any merit to stick all your pers.details ie blood gr,organ, donor next of kin etc to your top tube or is it better to wear an ICE bracelet?

If you are lying bloody and unconscious on a mtb trail alone, or on a street corner after a hit and run, most likely your cell phone will be stolen first.

Having some alternate personal details at hand for whichever good samaritan decides to assist, makes everything a lot easier

A+ known courtesy of the SADF

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Same same.

My "Needle army story."

We went up to the border as part of Infantry School in '77. Five friends from school ended up in the same place. Our platoon gets ordered to the medic tent at Oshivelo. We have to know how to put in drips. Dr. grabs one of us, inserts a needle and draws blood. Ok , so now we know. No wait.

"Kry vir jou 'n maatjie." Orderly appears with a box full of syringes and needles. I struggled. After my 5th try my friend Danie told me that he's going to bliksem me.

Whole thing ended in laughter in the mess that evening.

Part two.

One day during deployment, a local, accompanied by a small child stands quietly on the side of our company base, holding out his hand . It's in tatters blown off. I take him to the medic tent and as it was Sunday I go back to my loopgraaf to listen to auntie Esme on Springbok Radio.

Medic calls me . "They want you back , you must put in the drip. His veins are flat and they can't get it in. Staff Schutte soek jou!"

My big mouth ,somebody got the wrong message. But you don't argue with Chris Schutte .

"Vetkop, sit in daai drip." He called everybody Vetkop.

I said a little prayer while trying to remember what the doc told us. First time , the drip started running . I went back to my loopgraaf feeling more than pleased.

Edited by Blokman

Both - if you need to be extracted you will be separated from your bike.

Thinks you should really have on the ICE band:

A - your name

1 - Medical aid scheme and number

2 - ICE contact details - at least 2 separate ones

3 - Blood type - arguably not necessary because you will be typed routinely but does have some benefits - paramedic might call it ahead if really needed.

4 - Allergies

5 - any existing conditions - diabetes, pacemakers, known drug sensitivities

6 - Organ donor status and/or living will status/do not resus.... etc.

If you don't have enough space - leave out 3, 6