Do you know what Blood Type you are?

Bonus

I'm an A+ donor.

My wife's O-, but can't donate due to medical reasons.

I always urge everyone, esp group O+/- to donate. Most peoples' excuse is their fear of needles; can't help but feel it's their comfort in ignorance :thumbdown:

Completely true.

:offtopic: :thumbup:

But just to grind your gears: Rhesus incompatibility isn't "such a big issue". O+ is given to men and older women in emergencies when O- isn't available, which happen way too often, unfortunately.

Edit: Not without risk, but benefit outweighs the risk

you are correct - rhesus incompatibility is generally reasonably easy to manage - Not first prize with severe injuries but better than nothing.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are having our 40 years reunion this July. You make some special friends. 40 years ago in July a group of us nervous18 year olds were shipped of to Seventh South African Infantry in the then Eastern Transvaal.

Enjoy your reunion.

Should be a kuier and a half with your old band of brothers!!

My dad still gets excited like a kid on Christmas whenever he goes to visit one of his old army buddies. 

Yeah - it turns out I'm the only one here who doesn't know his own blood type.

Ramon & Rosa know theirs.

I don't know mine either. On entry forms I always just fill it out as n/a.

O- as well. Also a donor.

I'm surprised at how many O's there are on here.

SA has a higher than global average of type O - Not sure why exactly - Think we are around 45 % type O - the usa is a bit lower if memory serves about 35% - most people worldwide are rh+ well over 60%

SA has a higher than global average of type O - Not sure why exactly - Think we are around 45 % type O - the usa is a bit lower if memory serves about 35% - most people worldwide are rh+ well over 60%

Wow almost half the population?

I thought that type O was like a recessive gene, making it a lot scarcer than the others.

But it would make for an interesting study if we have such a high number of O blood type in our country

Not to mention learning some damn respect.

I wish we could have had some mandatory military training after school.

I am always envious when my dad and uncles talk about their old army days

I was after the conscription time, but i went out of choice and I often say everybody should do some time.

Was quite interesting to see how different I felt to my school friends when I came home on that first leave. I saw them once, and I have never seen any of them again because I felt we no longer had anything in common.

Back on the blood topic:

Why do they say you have to wait 56 days to give blood again? That sounds like an admin nightmare before they digitized it. Why not just round it off to 60?

Why do you have to wait 6 months after surgery or a tattoo?

Why do you have to wait 6 months after surgery or a tattoo?

I think that it has to do with the window period for picking up HIV antibodies in your blood when they test it......

B+ i also did find it out in the army. I know it sounds "stupid" sometimes if we refer to when we were young and went to the army blah blah blah, but a lot of the kids nowadays dont know how much "punishment" the human body can take and still carry on. I am not talking about very active people taking part in competitions etc. I am refering to the 80% potato couches out there. I can do with a cpl chasing the k.k out of me to get fit again !!!

B-

Seems to explain why I only like about 1% of people

You seem to like lots of people. If my maths work out you like about 65 million people. Personally I think about 6.5 people are enough for me. One wife, two kids, a riding buddy, fishing buddy, Landy mechanic and then I still have half another I can like, maybe a dog will count for half?  :D