Pedals

AmRider

I'd say the opposite - learn to ride properly with spd's. I grew up riding flat pedals, raced both bmx and mtb with them (before the days of spd's) and have many, many holes in my shins to remind me. SPD's were a revelation to mtb, and definitely add another dimension to riding ability by keeping you connected to the bike, especially in the technical stuff. But you do need to learn to ride with spd's and gain confidence to tackle the rougher stuff. Heck, even top bmx'ers are using them these days...

I'd say the opposite - learn to ride properly with spd's. I grew up riding flat pedals, raced both bmx and mtb with them (before the days of spd's) and have many, many holes in my shins to remind me. SPD's were a revelation to mtb, and definitely add another dimension to riding ability by keeping you connected to the bike, especially in the technical stuff. But you do need to learn to ride with spd's and gain confidence to tackle the rougher stuff. Heck, even top bmx'ers are using them these days...

That's interesting to hear. I'd argue that you learned to ride on flats and so probably don't appreciate what it did for your riding, you might think the skills you learned are normal. I only realised how crap I was once I switched to flats. I can honestly say that I didn't know how to ride a jump properly until I switched to flats. The subtle changes in body weight you pick up are very valuable. 

Also, and this is personal preference, approaching a technical of section of trail on a piece of aluminium or carbon built by the lowest asian bidder knowing that I'm NOT attached to the bike (and thus have an exit strategy) makes me feel more relaxed and confident. Which is the best mindset to have when approaching a technical section. 

I guess there is a reason most pro DH riders are clipped in. Although the guy that won the last EWS (and many DH titles) rode flats. So who knows. The only thing I'm certain of is that it increased my skill level switching to flats. 

That's interesting to hear. I'd argue that you learned to ride on flats and so probably don't appreciate what it did for your riding, you might think the skills you learned are normal. I only realised how crap I was once I switched to flats. I can honestly say that I didn't know how to ride a jump properly until I switched to flats. The subtle changes in body weight you pick up are very valuable. 

Also, and this is personal preference, approaching a technical of section of trail on a piece of aluminium or carbon built by the lowest asian bidder knowing that I'm NOT attached to the bike (and thus have an exit strategy) makes me feel more relaxed and confident. Which is the best mindset to have when approaching a technical section. 

I guess there is a reason most pro DH riders are clipped in. Although the guy that won the last EWS (and many DH titles) rode flats. So who knows. The only thing I'm certain of is that it increased my skill level switching to flats. 

That's a very valid point, and perhaps worth starting out on flats then for anyone new to riding and not planning on just gravel grinding. All I know is that when toe clips came to mtb I was more than happy to not have smashed shins any more!

Edited by GrahamS2

I also rode flats for the first 20 odd years of my life, and was a late mover to being clipped in, now it feels great, especially in the rocky and technical stuff.

What about pedals that offer flat and clip in, something like these?

Are they a good idea or just a compromise on both flats and clips?

post-30294-0-92500800-1518791228_thumb.png

To my mind these are clip in pedals but with a larger platform to allow you to wear a shoe with slightly less sole stiffness i.e. not a carbon race slipper.

But I doubt you'd ever be able to use these with flat pedal shoes, they will have limited to zero grip.

The compromise pedal is that with a clip on one side and flat on the other...

• 2 months later...

I really advocate both...without hangups!!

As a rule however, I ride XC bike with clipless setup (not a broad DH styled pedal either).

Then I also ride Pumptrack on either MTB or a 24" cruiser BMX and this I religiously do on flatties....ain't no better way to learn to remain one with the flow of your bike than being non-cleated.

However when on the XC or Enduro bike the ability to bunny-hop, jump and corner correctly becomes super-heightened as you have the confidence of both.

When learning clipless....ride on a flat grassy field and learn that falling over at low speeds will not kill you. :thumbup:

i have a pair of the stealth maglocks-

and they are great you can take magnets in and out as you feel the need to use more or less force. i find max force too much and ride with a few magnets out and it makes them lighter. it is almost like being on flats to get off quick if you crash but also has much of the power of being clipped in and unlike clipped in you can move your foot position around on the maglock 

having said that i still have my SPDs if i want to do a cross country race

and at the moment on my (trail) bike i have the spez bennies flat pedals

most of the time i alternate between the maglocks and the bennies.

Something to look at 

http://maglockbikepedal.co.za/

i have a pair of the stealth maglocks-

and they are great you can take magnets in and out as you feel the need to use more or less force. i find max force too much and ride with a few magnets out and it makes them lighter. it is almost like being on flats to get off quick if you crash but also has much of the power of being clipped in and unlike clipped in you can move your foot position around on the maglock 

having said that i still have my SPDs if i want to do a cross country race

and at the moment on my (trail) bike i have the spez bennies flat pedals

most of the time i alternate between the maglocks and the bennies.

So glad you are happy with your pedals.I have had very good feedback form people who are running the Maglocks. Kids and ladies love them for the confidence they get. 

Flats are the best for MTB, if you ride a road bike, then you must clip in for various reasons.

However on a MTB you can but only develop excellent skill in riding on flats. Guaranteed guys who ride clip in pedals and then move to flats will struggle with technique.

I can vouch for this. Used to ride flats as a teen in skateparks and on dirt jumps. When I started cycling again 3 years ago I put cleats on all my bikes. Went for a ride a few weeks back with flats on and I was useless! When I was attempting jumps I was in the air and my bike stayed on the ground, my feet kept slipping, just overall horrible technique - you don't realise how much your technique suffers with cleats till you use flats again!

Tried cleats, went back to flats…

Yes, I had the obligatory “Oh crap” falls but it wasn’t that. It was probably more a set up issue but I got unbelievable knee pain for one thing, and I was also just not comfortable and far more stressed than I wanted to be when I was doing something I loved. So I experimented until I found a mix that works for me. I have tried the Giant, they are strong but a little thick so I found I tended to have more pedal strikes. I can’t recall the brand right now I currently use  (I’ll look at home tonight) but they are a thin wide platform metal pedal I found at Cycle Lab. Very happy with them.

After much interwebz research I bought a pair of flat soled DC skate shoes which have now done a few thousand kilometres and are starting to wear but have been bullet proof. Never been more impressed with a pair of shoes in my life. And they grip into the pedals beautifully. Yes, I don’t have the advantage of using the energy I’m expending in the upward stroke, as my riding mates constantly remind me, but I’m happy and I don’t stress in the technical stuff I’m still not 100% sure of myself in.

If I ever go back to road cycling I’m sure I’ll cleat up but I for one am very happy with being on flats on the MTB.

Edited by Sidersky

• 11 months later...

Hi all, im also using cleats at the moment but coming from a mx background i use my legs alot on the ground especially donhil and single track. My currnt cleats is one side normal one side cleat, is there better options maybe a wider cleat wit cleats on inside and flat outside to benefit for both types of riding?

Hi all, im also using cleats at the moment but coming from a mx background i use my legs alot on the ground especially donhil and single track. My currnt cleats is one side normal one side cleat, is there better options maybe a wider cleat wit cleats on inside and flat outside to benefit for both types of riding?

This is gonna sound obvious, but here goes. Get dedicated flats & flat-friendly shoes, and dedicated cleats and cleat shoes. Not these one-for-both jobs that WILL hurt you if you need to dab a foot and get back on (in either shoe / situation)

Don't use cleat shoes on flats and vice versa. Dedicated tools for the job. Anything else will be a compromise. 

Cleats on flat pedals is a recipe for disaster (metal on metal = no grip) and if you dab a foot you don't have any guarantee you'll come back to the side you were on before. Flat shoes on the cleat side = a focussed pressure point on your sole. 

Just don't do it.