Almost a statistic - bikejacking on R44 (Somerset West, Lord Charles)

nox1111

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hectic! Great work keeping your wits about you and getting your bike back. While life needs protecting over a bike, itā€™s so good to hear the bad guys donā€™t win every time. I do believe in fighting back, within reason. Itā€™s awful that cyclists are treated as such soft targets. Hope these two shiteballs get caught!

Listen; retrospectively possibly worth mentioning; there was a guy standing against one of the signs next to the road almost at the robot and as I came by he was busy typing/sending a message on his phone. I recall him because I greeted him and he said hello back, but that may very well have been a spotter telling these guys that solo rider with good looking bike is on the way.

Ā 

Just a though. No actual evidence of this...

This is kind of what the saw looks like - somewhere in between these 3. Could not get an identical one online. The handle was a bit more handgun shaped.

post-2231-0-25319500-1516710844_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-14013200-1516710856_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-96732700-1516710872_thumb.jpg

Ā 

On this note, does anybody have any cool stories about defending themselves with pepper spray and dishing out some justice?

Years ago, I arranged a tin of SWAT for all the ladies in the office. 2 weeks later one of the ladies is driving home (Oxford road in Rosebank) and some guy tries to hijack her/pull her out of the car. She manages to get a small spurt of SWAT into the guys face, he fell on the floor and she drove off. Then, she decides f@#$ that! Drives back and finds the guy lying on the road in agony. She emptied the rest of the tin (15 seconds of spray!!) into his face at point blank. When the cops arrived the guy had soiled his pants and needed medical attention.Ā 

Yoh bra. Gucci gang with a saw nogal. Wtf next. I really don't know what I would have done in that situation. You certainly have balls of steel. I can somehow relate to your reaction though.

Ā 

I always go for rides with the bike on the back of my bakkie. Had 3 separate occasions where someone tried to swipe the bike while I stopped at a robot. I always tie it up though. So each attempt was fruitless. The very first time it happened, The guy lifted the bike almost off the bakkie until the rope tugged and he realized he wasn't getting it. Nogal on my side of the bakkie. Brazen to say the least. As he tried and failed I instinctively got out and punched him. He ran off and I actually ran after him without thinking. In an attempt to land a more satisfying bek skoot. Cars started hooting after a few metres and I came to my senses. I was so pissed off that it did not even occur to me that he might be armed. Had he been it might have ended badly for me. Self preservation should be at the forefront of my priorities in such situations. But I let my temper and ego get in the way of that.

Ā 

What a relief that you came out of it somewhat unscathed. Respect.

Yoh bra. Gucci gang with a saw nogal. Wtf next. I really don't know what I would have done in that situation. You certainly have balls of steel. I can somehow relate to your reaction though.

Ā 

I always go for rides with the bike on the back of my bakkie. Had 3 separate occasions where someone tried to swipe the bike while I stopped at a robot. I always tie it up though. So each attempt was fruitless. The very first time it happened, The guy lifted the bike almost off the bakkie until the rope tugged and he realized he wasn't getting it. Nogal on my side of the bakkie. Brazen to say the least. As he tried and failed I instinctively got out and punched him. He ran off and I actually ran after him without thinking. In an attempt to land a more satisfying bek skoot. Cars started hooting after a few metres and I came to my senses. I was so pissed off that it did not even occur to me that he might be armed. Had he been it might have ended badly for me. Self preservation should be at the forefront of my priorities in such situations. But I let my temper and ego get in the way of that.

Ā 

What a relief that you came out of it somewhat unscathed. Respect.

Ā 

What if it was part of a cunning ploy to get you out of your vehicle, with the engine running and the keys in the ignition. You turn around, just in time to see your tail lights disappear down the road.

Will have a tough time explaining that to your insurance.

Edited by Wannabe

What if it was part of a cunning ploy to get you out of your vehicle, with the engine running and the keys in the ignition. You turn around, just in time to see your tail lights disappear down the road.

Ā 

Jeez that too. The last time it happened some asshole tried to grab my bmx off the back. I was on my way home after just having bought it. I stayed in the bakkie this time. But reversed momentarily so he would skrik. Had the clutch slipped or something it could potentially have ended catastrophically for both of us. Woosaa Skollie. Woosaa.

Nah, just a variation on a hijacking.Ā 

Yoh! Literally sat and read that with a bowl of popcorn. Intense.

Ā 

So glad you're ok bud!Ā Ā 

And i was planning on riding that route and in my current fitness state i would have been the easiest target. (luckily i rather opted to sleep in) Sorry to hear but glad you are okay.

Ā 

Add Vetus Schola's number to your phone, if you phoned them and said what happened and you still have visual on the guys they would have been there in a couple of seconds. They patrol heldervue with a number of bakkies and they are always hunger for any type of arrest.