Can Uber Drivers see us Cyclist?

Wallie K

To my fellow cyclists out on our roads daily. I am concerned for your safety as well as mine.

Every time, with out fail, in fact our group has started joking about it already and counting the amount of times we missed "near death" all thanks to an Uber driver.

• They stop anywhere along the road to drop off, collect or just sight seeing.
  • They simply just turn into traffic any where and any time
  • They open their doors to collect or drop off customers...without warning.

They don't apologize, they don't even care!

So i ask this question!

Do they know people cycle and do their side and or rear view mirrors block us out?

Report them, the only thing that will prevent Uber drivers from becoming the new metered taxi drivers in the risk of the car owners losing their licenses.

I too have noticed that Uber drivers are becoming more and more reckless. 

Get license numbers and report directly to Uber.

Heaven forbid if they should start behaving like this, we will not last long.

At least a taxi is a taxi (HiAce type thing) and we can sometimes see it or hear it.  A Uber could be anything.  And if the car in front of you suddenly stops, turns, cuts in.....woe is me.

To my fellow cyclists out on our roads daily. I am concerned for your safety as well as mine.

Every time, with out fail, in fact our group has started joking about it already and counting the amount of times we missed "near death" all thanks to an Uber driver.

• They stop anywhere along the road to drop off, collect or just sight seeing.
  • They simply just turn into traffic any where and any time
  • They open their doors to collect or drop off customers...without warning.

They don't apologize, they don't even care!

So i ask this question!

Do they know people cycle and do their side and or rear view mirrors block us out?

If I never read the heading I would have assumed this was just your average mom or dad doing a school run with their kids.

I am sure they know we / us cyclists use the roads as they would have had to pass a drivers license exam.

If their side or rear mirrors "block us out" .... it would be an dissaster of mass proportions as the Uber drivers are driving in cars that any other South African could or would be driving.

Did I miss something here, but this is your first post, and it is here to stir emotions on something that is not really an issue? 

If I never read the heading I would have assumed this was just your average mom or dad doing a school run with their kids.

i stopped doing my coffee ride to Durban in the morning...getting between a mother and the school at 7 am in the morning is worse than getting between a hippo and its baby...they will push you off the road...or hang on the hooter till you get off the road onto the pavement. 

i stopped doing my coffee ride to Durban in the morning...getting between a mother and the school at 7 am in the morning is worse than getting between a hippo and its baby...they will push you off the road...or hang on the hooter till you get off the road onto the pavement. 

School Run Mom, officially the second most dangerous driver on the road.

Try getting between a cyclist in his car on the way to a cycling event. Can't keep count of how many times I have been forced off the road while cycling along the access road to Modderfontein conservation area by a cyclist.

Try getting between a cyclist in his car on the way to a cycling event. Can't keep count of how many times I have been forced off the road while cycling along the access road to Modderfontein conservation area by a cyclist.

on a mtb?

School Run Mom, officially the second most dangerous driver on the road.

Maybe I'm slow today, but I don't get point nr 5

Its a mischievous jibe at my fellow cyclists, in an attempt to make it obvious that the Tweet is not to be taken seriously.

Hehe ok. Sorry Im a bit slow today

on a mtb?

Presumably. Modder is, among other things, a mtb trail park. The road to the entrance is tar. I often ride the roads on my road bike though while training as pretty much the only people using that road are park runners or mtb'ers going to the reserve.