Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

Delarey! Buy a dropper seatpost, it will save your life. It's a must have if you want to jump. Only very competent riders can jump with high seatposts.

Yes, I am considering it seriously. The nice thing of both Mont Marie and G Spot is that its a long way up and a long way down. Once I get to the top I do drop my seat post for the ride down. The dropper post will make this process easier, but then again I do like the ritual of stopping and clearing my head while dropping the seat post.

Forgot to mention the real thing that will get me in trouble: Metallica over the bluetooth earphones. "Whiskey in a Jar" will be my downfall...no pun intended!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came across this a couple of weeks ago... 

Good Luck, Be careful, i find the older i get the longer it takes me to heal after a fall.

Totally agree. I love this video. Also watched a few times before. Totally share his sentiment!

Im in the tentative zone. Came very close to disaster at the said ramp at bottom of g-spot. I have been thinking about that Mont Marie jump...

I ride at Helderberg farm often, have been getting some air on the way down there - it is sort of inevitable, but more a case of haning on for dear life and hoping for the best at the moment.

:offtopic:

"Not 14, but not 74 ..."

Last Sunday I was super stoked at riding to the top of Dorstberg !!  Continued to ride all of the Meerendal route.  The section after the dam wall, climbing up to the tar road seemed just a tad mor difficult than normal ... after Dorstberg ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

And so I riding next to an "older gent".  And we start talking.  He had a knee replacement 6 months ago !!  Knee replacement and he is riding trails !  :eek:   RESPECT !!!

We ride the section next to the tar road and continue talking ... he is 72 years old !!!  :eek:   :eek:

72 years old, knee replacement and he is riding trails !!!!!!  RESPECT !!

Must be one of the few sports were a 6 year old can ride with a 49 year old and a 72 year old .....

Okay, back to THIS topic - doubt this gent would be attempting jumps ....

c41c929ce9155c55f4ddfda944543dc4.jpg This jump was added to Mont Marie around Oct last year. Was even dreaming about it for a while. Those rocks in the middle just messed with my confidence. Man was I proud the first time I cleared it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buggar, this looks so easy in the picture.............yeah right!!

c41c929ce9155c55f4ddfda944543dc4.jpg This jump was added to Mont Marie around Oct last year. Was even dreaming about it for a while. Those rocks in the middle just messed with my confidence. Man was I proud the first time I cleared it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buggar, this looks so easy in the picture.............yeah right!!

Delarey! Buy a dropper seatpost, it will save your life. It's a must have if you want to jump. Only very competent riders can jump with high seatposts.

I need to do this, narrow one though for my frame. I needto check out what is available.

I believe the problem with older blokes trying to jump is that we tend to think about it a lot more than a youngster, what if I fall, what if I break something on my bike, what if I break some bones....youngsters just see a jump and hit it.

I like a bit of a jump (xc style jumps anyway) but only under certain conditions. Well built jumps that don't try buck you off and a nice clean entry and exit.

Wide bars, a short and a dropper seatpost goes a loooong way to make it easier. It helps when your weight is centered more to the back instead of being stretched out by a 100mm stem.

If you can practice your flow on a pump track and keep going without pedaling it will help. And then later instead of pushing down on the back side of the pumps you focus on boosting through the transition and pulling up as you leave the lip.

Take this from whence it comes. I'm no jumper.

You obviously can ride if you a looking at hitting jumps.

Us older guys don't bounce quite as well as the youngsters but we do have something they don't which is logic.

Make the whole experience into a project. Set your mind on a jump and work your way towards that. The stuff at Mont Marie is great to learn on and you can loop back and do that little bermy jumpy line multiple times. The guy that built that has spent multiple season in the alps so you are experiencing a micro alps line while you are on it.

You can get a very nice dropper post for under 2k now. That will make a HUUUUUUUGE difference in your ability to move around on the bike when going downhill. You will be able to avoid that getting bucked feeling that you are probably experiencing.

* disclaimer: I can't jump for ****.

50 + fatty...I love downhills...add in few small jumps and life is great...that feeling when you are in the air and realize you gona land on the front wheel and hope the fork is gona take it..is the only downside.

I have have been getting more and more ambitious trying to jump higher and further...without the correct skills...it was just a matter of time.

The recent fall I had (not even over a jump) made me realise the impact it has on my small business...I was fortunate that I was back at work 2 days later...but 2 weeks later I am still feeling it.

Been riding mtb for a few years and getting more and more brave...faster and faster down the hills and over obstacles...that thrill gets your heart pumping...then it happened for the first time...I still don't know what went wrong...just remember hearing click...when I opened my eyes I was on the floor face down...in a lot of pain...I landed on my face and shoulder.

My point ...riding a mtb is dangerous full stop...your age has nothing to do with it...make sure you have the right medical aid disability cover and loss of income cover...you only live once for a short period of time...make the most of it...while you can...you blink and you 50...then you don't even get blink ...before you know it...everyone is wishing they had gone on that fishing trip with you ...had that beer with you...or answered your call etc etc ........

Hell yes...middle age guys can jump.

Hell yes, older guys can jump...........but for the past couple of years I've decided to stick to the "cross country" type (smaller) jumps. No more crazyness for me. The twice broken wrist and the plates and screws aching in my reconstructed collarbone, make it easy to stick to my own rule to leave the bigger stuff to the younger guys. (B.t.w. none of those crashes had anything to do with jumping, all about not paying attention on gnarly trails you know all too well) You simply break things more easily when you crash and you don't recover so quickly. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I love cycling enough and that I would like to keep doing it deep into old age. For both my mental and physical well being. I don't want to wreck that plan by breaking more bones now, so, I suppose I now jump like the proverbial little old lady on the way to church. :blush:

Swallow your pride and get a decent skills coach ( one that knows proper form and can verbalize instruction so that it makes sense) to  to help you get off the ground. Lay a good base of technique and the risks will be a lot less than you think.

Take this from whence it comes. I'm no jumper.

You obviously can ride if you a looking at hitting jumps.

Us older guys don't bounce quite as well as the youngsters but we do have something they don't which is logic.

Make the whole experience into a project. Set your mind on a jump and work your way towards that. The stuff at Mont Marie is great to learn on and you can loop back and do that little bermy jumpy line multiple times. The guy that built that has spent multiple season in the alps so you are experiencing a micro alps line while you are on it.

You can get a very nice dropper post for under 2k now. That will make a HUUUUUUUGE difference in your ability to move around on the bike when going downhill. You will be able to avoid that getting bucked feeling that you are probably experiencing.

* disclaimer: I can't jump for ****.

Errrr...you just kidding right?

post-35907-0-87008600-1519018642_thumb.gif

43 yrs and a bang broek, I do some small jumps at the bike park with my kids. The bigger jumps I completed was because I didn't see it coming, but I don't go back to try it again, happy I survived. But would like to be better at it.

Archived