Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Problem is the highlighted bit, the ascending rider might not be aware of or share your opinion on right of way and follow IMBA guidelines....

Not to be facetious but I think approaching an ascending rider on single track at high speed and assuming that he will give way is a risky choice even if you have right of way. Quite easy to pass him at a moderate speed and easy to go fast again if you are the one going downhill.

Anyway, rules say I must yield to the descending rider so that is what I will do  :thumbup:

Not saying one should be THAT dickish and if you see someone not slow down. That'd would be idiotic. But should you not see an ascending rider until last minute then yeah it's easier for them to pull over than for you. Not that you shouldn't try. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And let's not forget TBMTB does not follow IMBA rules for trail difficulty grading anyway, so why for other things.

Descending rider should have the right of way IMO. As someone pointed out earlier...when you heading downhill it's often very difficult to stop in a hurry, whereas plopping over while pedaling uphill is easy.

That's exactly why Tokai adopted the yield to descending riders rule.

Not saying one should be THAT dickish and if you see someone not slow down. That'd would be idiotic. But should you not see an ascending rider until last minute then yeah it's easier for them to pull over than for you. Not that you shouldn't try.

This.

Also, it's generally easier for the ascending rider to hear a descending rider clattering down the trail than vice versa.

Having descended that hill twice so far, yesterday being one of those times, I would have to say that one would need to be rather blind to not see a descending rider. It is quite an open trail sight wise, apart from one or two blind spots, where going (very) fast makes no sense.

But as The Captian mentions, coming off on that hill is going to hurt plenty. 

So thank you to everyone who gives way while making their way up that hill.

Maybe it was just admiring your beautiful new pink bikeboard?

Not quite, as I still need to pull the trigger on that "delightfully obscene pink" board...

But in the interest of making it somewhat less obscene, I did fit some red ESI silicone grips, which hopefully will detract somewhat from the pink bit up front...

Do they have tassles?

Not quite, as I still need to pull the trigger on that "delightfully obscene pink" board...

But in the interest of making it somewhat less obscene, I did fit some red ESI silicone grips, which hopefully will detract somewhat from the pink bit up front...

If the club is overruling general IMBA etiquette for the corridor some sort of signage might be useful to warn the peeps that didn't read this thread?

And Patrick could pen it for us in one of his weekly write-ups to ensure correctness and coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

So,

Why does (very nearly) everyone who visits Hoogies just keep going past the awesome skills park? I sessioned there last Saturday, and what a blast. So many lines, so many options. I would be happy to just spend an hour or two there and nothing else. I am also stumped why so few people venture out merely to improve their skills, as this is a definite outcome of a visit to the park.

I'm pretty confident that the skills park will eventually make lines like the cobra more enjoyable as well...

So,

Why does (very nearly) everyone who visits Hoogies just keep going past the awesome skills park? I sessioned there last Saturday, and what a blast. So many lines, so many options. I would be happy to just spend an hour or two there and nothing else. I am also stumped why so few people venture out merely to improve their skills, as this is a definite outcome of a visit to the park.

I'm pretty confident that the skills park will eventually make lines like the cobra more enjoyable as well...

It does look amazing! Its on my to-do-list in the next few weeks. I really need the practice, to give me more confidence to try the A-line options on the trails! :thumbup:

So,

Time of day plays a big role. If you are actually trying to hit the bigger jumps and drops then you can really only do the skill spark in the morning. If you ride there after twelve you will be sharing the park with the South Easter. The wind can get pretty hectic around those parts this time of year.

Time of day plays a big role. If you are actually trying to hit the bigger jumps and drops then you can really only do the skill spark in the morning. If you ride there after twelve you will be sharing the park with the South Easter. The wind can get pretty hectic around those parts this time of year.

Granted, the wind is a factor. I had the privilege of zero wind on Saturday, and it sure made a huge impact on the way I read the tables and my speeds. I even progressed to riding the line on the far end, apart from the big gaps, and this only after being prompted by a man who knows those lines intimately. He egged me on, and I gave it a go, and it was fantastic when I realized the only limiting factor was my head getting in the way.

After that, getting back on the lines I previously though were challenging turned out to be well within my new level of ability.

But to be honest, I would probably not have done it if there was wind, or if I was alone. But even on the windy days, riding the smaller jumps still makes for fun. Or failing that, just ride earlier  :whistling: