Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

35 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Meerendal has seen the biggest change in this time .... totally neglected and pretty messed up, until about a year ago.  Patrick has done a decent job of repairing most of it.

Slow first ride to scout for the bits still needing TLC.  

Dorstberg climb has been redone.  Turn up BEFORE rhe bench after Stairway to Heaven.

The Dorstberg decent is nice ... but take your time to learnt it .... been a few broken cyclists there ....

Not sure of Hoogekraal.

Rest pretty much as you remember it ... obviously wirh a few small layout changes.

BIGGEST change .... risky cycling to the trails from the sea side .... plenty redistribution incidences ....

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, AllAboutRides said:

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated

The trails haven't changed that much in the time you've been away. Some new additions to Bloemendal and Hoogekraal and Meerendal. Like Chris says, take it easy first ride out and you should be fine. As for riding groups, reach out to the Slow Coach group on Vleisboek for a group of riders who never leave anyone behind.

Also there is another Warren & Melissa Go Riding group ride starting at Bloemendal on Saturday which is usually well attended and you're likely to meet a bunch of people there you can ride with.

Also, the beer is great after the ride. 
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=436982702182107&set=a.176988554848191

image.png.76fb2c53d8dccb80abc41d8afdf72119.png

I'm not from the Western Cape.  I recently enjoyed a lekker ride at Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, not so much.  Nothing against the trails, personal preference. 

Been to Bloemendal a couple of times, first time at Hoogekraal. 

9 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

I'm not from the Western Cape.  I recently enjoyed a lekker ride at Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, not so much.  Nothing against the trails, personal preference. 

Did you do both upper and lower? Lower definitely geared more towards beginners. However there are 2 more technical routes but very short. But yeah the farm itself is definitely more family oriented. 

Upper Bloemendal is just a climb fest. If you incorporate Hillcrest, you basically climbing all the way up to the mast. Then descend down Bloemendaaler, then do that freaking nasty Bloemenclimb through the forest which just crazy tough. And then descend slightly before you start climbing again. Honestly, if you love climbing upper bloemendal is like climbers Heaven. 

Hoogekraal though is just way more fun. Together with Contermans, id definitely say are the best two farms in the Tygerberg network. They have a bit of everything but the single track on both networks are just top class. 

6 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Do try out Contermanskloof on your next visit.

9 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Hoogekraal though is just way more fun. Together with Contermans, id definitely say are the best two farms in the Tygerberg network

Wait, what!?! There are other farms in the network?

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Do try out Contermanskloof on your next visit.

I've been there twice, also enjoyable.   I like Bottelary Hills more.  Been there for the first time now.

10 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Did you do both upper and lower? Lower definitely geared more towards beginners. However there are 2 more technical routes but very short. But yeah the farm itself is definitely more family oriented. 

Upper Bloemendal is just a climb fest. If you incorporate Hillcrest, you basically climbing all the way up to the mast. Then descend down Bloemendaaler, then do that freaking nasty Bloemenclimb through the forest which just crazy tough. And then descend slightly before you start climbing again. Honestly, if you love climbing upper bloemendal is like climbers Heaven. 

Hoogekraal though is just way more fun. Together with Contermans, id definitely say are the best two farms in the Tygerberg network. They have a bit of everything but the single track on both networks are just top class. 

Didn't do Upper this time, but have been up there a couple of times.

36 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

I've been there twice, also enjoyable.   I like Bottelary Hills more.  Been there for the first time now.

I'm curious. What about Bottelary do you prefer more? I used to ride there often with my boet, but he has not been riding since about 2018 so I no longer venture there. I also enjoyed the trail network.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Wait, what!?! There are other farms in the network?

As many of us will agree to,  Conties probably carries the whole of the network on its back at this stage imo. If it were to go away for whatever reason, there wont be much left at this point in time for intermediate riders.
The rest are all a bit tired (by their own admission too, trails are admittedly old) and it is becoming harder and harder to justify the membership fee and yearly increase compared to what you get for not much more on the winelands board.  I find myself riding stellenbosch side a lot more these days for that reason alone. 

But back to Conties. Something for everyone there and it promotes progression. Theres a reason why its always busy too. My only wish for Conties would be another elevator up to Rhino 1, Revised so it wasn't such a slog to get up there. Would love to do those more than once on a day.

Bloemendal upper - ‘Daler is a nice trail, one of my fav, but again, unless you are on an e-bike…its unfeasible doing it more than once . Bloemendal lower is only good for a beer after a ride imo. The new Veer factor bits over the rock roll, over the gaps are OK for some superficial fun but thats about it.

Edited by MORNE

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

As many of us will agree to,  Conties probably carries the whole of the network on its back at this stage imo. If it were to go away for whatever reason, there wont be much left at this point in time for intermediate riders.
The rest are all a bit tired (by their own admission too, trails are admittedly old) and it is becoming harder and harder to justify the membership fee and yearly increase compared to what you get for not much more on the winelands board.  I find myself riding stellenbosch side a lot more these days for that reason alone. 

But back to Conties. Something for everyone there and it promotes progression. Theres a reason why its always busy too. My only wish for Conties would be another elevator up to Rhino 1, Revised so it wasn't such a slog to get up there. Would love to do those more than once on a day.

Bloemendal upper - ‘Daler is a nice trail, one of my fav, but again, unless you are on an e-bike…its unfeasible doing it more than once . Bloemendal lower is only good for a beer after a ride imo. The new Veer factor bits over the rock roll, over the gaps are OK for some superficial fun but thats about it.

Bloemendal is nice because of it's accessibility during the week, for me at least as I live near by and cycle to it and the climbs are small enough to do a couple of repeats. If it wasn't for that then yeah I'd agree. Nothing special, then again I also never got the appeal of bloemendaaler. 

Weekends conties is a must for me, super tubes and happy hops for days.

1 hour ago, Super Sywurm said:

As someone living on the Tygerberg trails doorstep I am instantly offended by this comment.

But I did ride bottelary a few weeks back for the first time in years, certainly was a lekker ride and I enjoyed the singletrack. (directions as confusing as always though...)

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

As someone living on the Tygerberg trails doorstep I am instantly offended by this comment.

But I did ride bottelary a few weeks back for the first time in years, certainly was a lekker ride and I enjoyed the singletrack. (directions as confusing as always though...)

I must confess, I got lost twice.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm curious. What about Bottelary do you prefer more? I used to ride there often with my boet, but he has not been riding since about 2018 so I no longer venture there. I also enjoyed the trail network.

I don't really now how to explain this, but Bottelary feels more natural.  Longer trails/roads. Where I come from, we ride farm roads and not trails.  I am used to farm roads, so I feel more at home there.

Tyberberg feels more like a bike park, which is enjoyably, up to a point.

Remember, it's personal preference.

Bottelary is more a XC type route rather than a manicured trail network so I find it keeps me on my toes a lot more that the Tygerberg side. With it being on my doorstep I know all those trails like the back of my hand. On Sat morning I spent 4 hours in those hills and still didn't ride half the network available. There's just so many routes to choose from and they're mostly fairly challenging so you certainly work for your breakfast.

For those of us who like a big endurance slog the conties, hoogekraal - faircape loop is a proper 55 odd km XC marathon. Throw in Hillcrest and it adds another tough climbing element