New Cannondale SystemSix Aero

Spinnekop

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the question is whats the big difference between these Aero frames and which would you prefer to ride?

post-17894-0-49677900-1530611645_thumb.jpg

post-17894-0-98211500-1530611654_thumb.jpg

post-17894-0-09816800-1530611664_thumb.jpg

post-17894-0-32012900-1530611674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Connorst

So the question is whats the big difference between these Aero frames and which would you prefer to ride?

It’s the natural consequence of R&D and innovation, same reason why all Smart phones look the same, why all boats have similar hull shaped, why most planes look the same, why F1 cars all look the same....

These bikes are all subjected to the same laws of physics, so sooner or later the will all look the same.

Thats easy, one of those has old school brakes. 

The Spez you can only run electronic groupset

Also, one cannot run 32mm tires. 

2 have proprietary handlebar stem milarky.

(You can also add the Trek Maddone, Merida Reacto, Scott foil etc to that list.) 

As pointed out before, if you want to go fast against the wind, there is only one optimal design.

Edited by Pure Savage

These bikes are all subjected to the same laws of physics, so sooner or later the will all look the same.

Either that, or laws of capitalism and they all come out of the same factory in China? Edited by Christie

Thats easy, one of those has old school brakes. 

The Spez you can only run electronic groupset

Also, one cannot run 32mm tires. 

2 have proprietary handlebar stem milarky.

(You can also add the Trek Maddone, Merida Reacto, Scott foil etc to that list.) 

As pointed out before, if you want to go fast against the wind, there is only one optimal design.

Not true on 32mm tyres, the Spez you can

Now, the Venge has no problem clearing 32mm-wide tyres. 

Edited by 2wieltjies

Either that, or laws of capitalism and they all come out of the same factory in China?

That would be a fun story.

Spoilt for choice, if one was shopping for aero disc brake bikes

post-615-0-70858700-1530613695_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-60951000-1530613706_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat

It’s the natural consequence of R&D and innovation, same reason why all Smart phones look the same, why all boats have similar hull shaped, why most planes look the same, why F1 cars all look the same....

Soon the Chinese guy will only have to make  one  frame mould,  and at the end of the line Cannondale, Spes et al, will just have their role  with their brand stickers . . . to lick and past on.  

Edited by IH8MUD

The weight seems a bit hefty - apparently 7.8kgish in DA trim.

Propel Pro SL in DA trim is 7.3kgish and the Venge Disk DA trim is 7.2kgish. Trek Madone is 6.8kgish.

Thought that the Cannondale would be the lightest. Sadly not so and we are yet to see it vs the Madone which was tested as fastest in previous comparative tests.

Edited by s14phoenix

The weight seems a bit hefty - apparently 7.8kgish in DA trim.

Propel Pro SL in DA trim is 7.3kgish and the Venge Disk DA trim is 7.2kgish. Trek Madone is 6.8kgish.

Thought that the Cannondale would be the lightest. Sadly not so and we are yet to see it vs the Madone which was tested as fastest in previous comparative tests.

In their test 'dale said that this bike is faster than the 1kg heavier EVO on slopes up to 6%. That is some modelling I'd like to see!

Edit: Here you go: 

Well, Cannondale decided to investigate the realities of this. David Devine, Cannondale's product director, tells us: "From our testing we know that on flatter roads aero is more important, on climbs its more about power to weight. Surprisingly, on gradients up to 6 percent the SystemSix is quicker than our Evo, at 6 percent its equal, anything steeper than that and the Evo becomes the more efficient. Though if the rider's power to weight is higher, take some pro levels, that percentage can rise even higher, and when you consider that our lightest model SystemSix carries an extra kilo against our lightest Evo."

Edited by Eldron

In their test 'dale said that this bike is faster than the 1kg heavier EVO on slopes up to 6%. That is some modelling I'd like to see!

Edit: Here you go: 

Well, Cannondale decided to investigate the realities of this. David Devine, Cannondale's product director, tells us: "From our testing we know that on flatter roads aero is more important, on climbs its more about power to weight. Surprisingly, on gradients up to 6 percent the SystemSix is quicker than our Evo, at 6 percent its equal, anything steeper than that and the Evo becomes the more efficient. Though if the rider's power to weight is higher, take some pro levels, that percentage can rise even higher, and when you consider that our lightest model SystemSix carries an extra kilo against our lightest Evo."

Also when the competition has similarly aero bikes and are lighter then their equation falls on its face anyway. But I do still like it. Not hating at all - just wish that it was lighter also...

I predict that at some point all bike will follow an aero design and will be just as light and just as comfortable.

I predict that at some point all bike will follow an aero design and will be just as light and just as comfortable.

That is the perfect bike but....

Aero bikes needs more material so they will be heavier.

Stiff bikes need more material so they will be heavier (and less comfortable).

Lighter bikes will be whippier and less aero etc.

I do think the difference is 95% marketing and 5% reality between aero/sprinting/climbing bikes but it's pretty cool that we can pretend to be Sagan/Gaviria/Froome when we want - and buy a bike that we think is sexier. More choice is more fun!

Not true on 32mm tyres, the Spez you can

Now, the Venge has no problem clearing 32mm-wide tyres. 

I said one of them cannot... I know the Spez can run 32mm.