Is a 17.5 frame correct if I'm 1.8m tall?

peyperj

Hi all just purchased a Trek Fuel Ex (frame size 17.5). I'm 1.8m tall. Haven't had the time to go for test rides, etc.

I see that the sizing and fit guide on Trek website point me to 18.5 / 19.5.

The shop gave me two bikes to test in parking lot, my 17.5 and a 19.5. I am a newbie, so asked for their advice. They told me that I can choose either (17.5 & 19.5) they both fit.....

Am I just paranoid looking at the sizing chart, or will the 17.5 be fine?

post-125403-0-05605300-1519837287_thumb.jpg

Depends on your relative torso length as well as flexibility.

Relatively short torso and long legs, 17.5 should be fine, other way around and it wiont be..

I'm 1.83m and feel cramped on most L bikes because I've got a long torso and short legs relative to the norm.

They told me that I can choose either (17.5 & 19.5) they both fit.....

They probably weren't wrong as most of us can fit on 2 or even 3 different sized bikes with a tweak or two.

Stated size is also relative to geometry.

Thanks guys. I will double check with the shop. I am sure they set me up with the correct size. I'm just a little paranoid seeing the chart and I'm nowhere near a 17.5 frame.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, it might be the right size. If you are 1.8m tall you can definitely ride a 17.5", 100% correct nothing wrong with that.

1. It is normal for riders to get a smaller frame if they want something more agile or nimble.
2. A bigger frame is easier to control under high speed.

With that being said, going with your height = frame size isn't the only method. Use it as a guide line but not a decision maker. I for one prefer a smaller frame, I am 1,76m tall and I prefer a 17.5" and according to that chart that is smaller than recommended.

If you want some reassurance if it is completely off just measure your height and your arm span, if both are the same then maybe that frame is a bit too small for you, if you arm span is less than your height by 3cm+ then maybe it won't be that far off because of your lower reach and if you arms are longer, then I would say too small.

If I was 1.80m I would still prefer a 17.5" maybe a 18" not too sure, didn't really look at the bikes geometry. But maybe determine your reach and take it from there.

At 1.78 I am comfortable on most 17” and 19” frames.

I do prefer the smaller frame, it weighs less and gives you more stand over height.

On that size chart I'd go for the larger frame. Can always fit shorter stem, which adds funn. At 165 i would bea 17.5. You're a head taller than me...

I am 1.76 and prefer a 19" frame. I do however have long legs and arms. Best is to test and see what works. I made the mistake off taking a frame that was to big when I got my first bike. Difficult to control if it is to big. Enjoy the new ride!

Flip man, in my opinion you should be on a 19.5. I'm 1.75m tall and on a 19.5 fuel EX. But like others have said, the size guide is just that, a guide, and there can be other variables to consider.

I am also about 1.78 and can comfortably fit on either a 17 or 19 in most brands, the fit guide is exactly that - a guide, there are a lot of factors when doing an actual bike fit....

Ride the 17 and enjoy it....

As mentioned above, it depends on your body configuration.

A larger frame will be more stable, vs a smaller frame which will then be more twitchy / agile. 

I'm 1.81m and I ride a medium road and mtb frame.

My standard rule for fitting mtbs is "if you don't need a 400mm seat post your bike is too big".

My only concern taking the 17.5" would be seat height - is there enough seat post left in the frame to be safe (is the seat post below the minimum insertion line).

Then - like the others said - body geometry. If you're long legged and short bodied then the 17.5" would be more comfy - if you're long bodied and short legged then the 19".

Maybe get a set up done? It's not cheap but relatively inexpensive when compared to buying the wrong Fuel Ex! Why not ask the shop to throw a fitting in to decide which bike is best for you?

I'm 187 and ride 19" for what it's worth. I'm long legged and short bodied so the 20 and 21" frames feel too long and a little clumsy.

Archived