Yet another tragic loss.

Cotic

Lab results or bust. Even if witnesses can say he drank 10 beers.  Without a lab result which indicate that he was over the limit you have nothing wrt to driving under the influence.

Not quite accurate. I personally know of someone in SA who got drunk, killed a pedestrian, then fled the scene of the accident and hid for 2 days. He was convicted of multiple charges, one of which was DUI. The prosecutor used video evidence and witness statements to prove he had consumed way too much to be driving.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite accurate. I personally know of someone in SA who got drunk, killed a pedestrian, then fled the scene of the accident and hid for 2 days. He was convicted of multiple charges, one of which was DUI. The prosecutor used video evidence and witness statements to prove he had consumed way too much to be driving.

First time this has ever been done I think.  My info must be old school and my source even worse.

Well done on that conviction.  Fortunate to have video evidence.

Still, one case in how many was it.....

It’s frightening how one day, one moment, one event , can change your life completely.

Everyone is a loser when drinking & driving is involved,always without fail.

Someone has to be made an example of before those drinking,don’t drive.

Good to hear.  Wish it will happen more

As a regular cyclist on Hendrik Potgieter  on Saturday and Sunday mornings I see reckless driving and speeding by cars and motorcycles by the dozen but yet no speed cameras and no or very little traffic cops in attendance.

The yellow line and lane demarcations have totally disappeared in some sections. Seems there is no will to address traffic law enforcement. Not just to make it cycle safe but safe for all road users.

Just yesterday on HP

In drink and drive cases the law provides for two scenarios .

The driver can be charged for drunken driving . To get a convictions the State has to prove that he was drunk. No blood test is required to proof this charge . Evidence such as the driver could not walk straight , swerved all over the road , ignored red tarffic lights and stops street and his breath smelled of alcohol could be sufficient .

The other charge is driving over the limit. To succeed with this charge a blood test needs to be done within the specified time.

Just yesterday on HP

Yeah but these Ignorant sob’s problems are way more pressing than the rest of us ????????????ffs...makes my blood boil instantly.

In drink and drive cases the law provides for two scenarios .

The driver can be charged for drunken driving . To get a convictions the State has to prove that he was drunk. No blood test is required to proof this charge . Evidence such as the driver could not walk straight , swerved all over the road , ignored red tarffic lights and stops street and his breath smelled of alcohol could be sufficient .

The other charge is driving over the limit. To succeed with this charge a blood test needs to be done within the specified time.

This driver in Durban then. 

He must have been drunk because more than one witness said they could smell alcohol.  Lawyer soon put one to bed.

Could not walk straight and was stumbling.  This too was thrown out.

Getting off these cases is like shooting ducks in the bath I am afraid.

(Pet peeve of mine.)

What still amazes me is every time I go to the local Spur I make a point of looking around at all the tables in the restaurant and every time almost every single person is drinking some sort of alcoholic beverage. Each one of those tables has a driver who is busy drinking - more than 1 drink and then they all proceed to get up after their meal and drive their families home. If it is like this at the local Spur one doesn't have to wonder how many cars drive away from other pubs/ bars/ hotels etc with drivers at the wheel who shouldn't be.

It makes me mad.

This driver in Durban then. 

He must have been drunk because more than one witness said they could smell alcohol.  Lawyer soon put one to bed.

Could not walk straight and was stumbling.  This too was thrown out.

Getting off these cases is like shooting ducks in the bath I am afraid.

(Pet peeve of mine.)

What was the final outcome in that case? Last I heard it was postponed again.

What was the final outcome in that case? Last I heard it was postponed again.

When last I heard he changed his plea, got a new lawyer and the case has indeed been "postponed" indefinitely as he needs to support his parents while staying in their  house.

But there have been no actual updates.

Who knows, another one swept under the carpet.

What about the Maritzburg drunken driving runaway culprit?  Same thing.  All gone quite.

Pure savage.

Hi he didn't panic.

He hid his car at a friends house.

Guilty as the light of day.

As the widow said today and she is my wife's best friend.

At leat this boys parents get to see him.

She will never get to see her husband or her two daughters get to see their father again.

Pure savage.

Hi he didn't panic.

She will never get to see her husband or her two daughters get to see their father again.

Agreed, there is panic and then there is trying to get away with it.

Nothing will bring him back. Cannot imagine what his wife and kids are going through.

Pure savage.

Hi he didn't panic.

I'm close to someone who had a very similar thing happen. She found herself widowed and her children fatherless out of the blue. The children were a bit older than in this case but not much.

There is nothing anyone can say or do that will help. It takes time to heal and ten years later issues still sneak up on the three of them.

The driver who did this has changed the families lives for the worse, forever. No matter whatever they do or wherever they go, he has stained their lives - For Ever.

Edited by Bonus