Its that Time!! Tallboy 3 or Stage Max

ETV

Good Day Ladies and Gents

Its time to upgrade my current bike which is a 2017 Spec Camber comp carbon.

Is there anything wrong with it, absolutely not. In fact i love the bike but the MTB bug seriously bit me when i did the MTB argus last. It was my first race and boy am i hooked. Normally spend my time on the TB trails but doing the odd stage race has definitely sparked.

So if someone is looking for a barely used Camber drop me a line... however

I am considering spoiling myself and have been looking at these two bikes. They come with quite a price tag so wanted to get your feelings about them for my intended use. Leaning to the TB as it has lifetime warranty on frame and pivot bearings. 

However Pyga is local and local is lekker and it does come in a bit cheaper...

What are your opinions

I have a 2017 Tallboy and love it. Would have liked to have tested a Pyga but couldn't get my hands on one so cannot make a direct comparison for you.

I also liked the lifetime warranty and lo and behold post all the mud in Sani last year I had to replace my pivot bearings - no issue. Also had issues with my freehub body earlier this year also replaced no issues.

Only complaint I have is the SRAM brakes, not loving them but perhaps I got a dud set - personal preference there I suppose.

Good Day Ladies and Gents

Its time to upgrade my current bike which is a 2017 Spec Camber comp carbon.

Is there anything wrong with it, absolutely not. In fact i love the bike but the MTB bug seriously bit me when i did the MTB argus last. It was my first race and boy am i hooked. Normally spend my time on the TB trails but doing the odd stage race has definitely sparked.

So if someone is looking for a barely used Camber drop me a line... however

I am considering spoiling myself and have been looking at these two bikes. They come with quite a price tag so wanted to get your feelings about them for my intended use. Leaning to the TB as it has lifetime warranty on frame and pivot bearings. 

However Pyga is local and local is lekker and it does come in a bit cheaper...

What are your opinions

Rajesh, is that you?

Definitely go with the Tallboy, or the Pyga. The first is the most most amazing bike. The second one is just as good, if not better. Maybe something more exotic like an Ellsworth, except you'd then have to deal with Assg. Actually go for the TallBoy as you ride TygerBerg trails (get it, get it?)

I'd go for the TB. That lifetime warranty on the pivot bearings and frame is a MASSIVE plus point. I have spent thousands of Rands on pivot bearings - and that alone is enough to push me in the TB's direction.

Plus, it's Santa Cruz. You are gonna pay for it - but they truly are amazing bikes and you will feel that on the trails.

If you do decide on the Pyga, it's a btilliant bike too and you won't regret it. It just wouldn't be my first choice between the two.

I was in the same boat, I was looking for something in the mid to short travel 29er range. 

I was coming off a 27.5 MojoHD3,. So was very new to the 29er group. I test rode the Hightower and it was nice.... but felt it was to much of a overlap with my HD3

I ended up getting a tallboy3 without test riding one and I am really happy with my choice, it is such a fun poppy bike, it just wants to jump and pop over everything and even though I have bottomed the back end out a few times the 110mm travel is quality travel. I am really enjoying this bike.

What I also did was add a set of RWC needle bearings to the Shox and that has really made the bike so sensitive on the small bumps. 

It was a really hard choice to make between the TB3, HT, and Stagemax and I don't regret  my decision at all.

What I did to is put a 130mm fork on the front (29er Mode) just to make ever so more capable. I recon I would be comfortable doing something like Berg'n'Bush (which is why I bought it) and also the once and a while enduro event.  I don't ever see myself putting + wheels on , as I have the HD3 setup with 2.6 and happy with that.

Regarding the pivots and there lifetime warranty, bike shops are still going to charge you (well the one in Cape Town did) to get the bearing replacement. so its not really free. 

The Stage max will be lighter ... the tallboy is not a light frame ...but I recon it is a lot stiffer and stronger, and great support if you do break it and that counts for a lot in my humble opinion .

Try get a test ride on it

Thanks so much guys.

Pretty much 6 - love to the TB

Am i right in saying that the TB is a crossover bike for trails/races....

Also is there another bike i should be considering in that mix as i want to def see all options before dropping my sons future college tuition on a bike :whistling: .

As to the hightower - it doesnt spark me. something about the way suspension crosses over to the downtube. I definitely prefer the Tallboy. 

Toads. what do you mean they still charge you for the replacement??

Thanks so much guys.

Also is there another bike i should be considering in that mix as i want to def see all options before dropping my sons future college tuition on a bike :whistling: .

As to the hightower - it doesnt spark me. something about the way suspension crosses over to the downtube. I definitely prefer the Tallboy. 

Although I would take the TB over the Stage, I would also have a look at the Evil Following MB (although not sure about lifetime warranties etc.)

Take them both for a ride and see which one puts the biggest smile on your face..

I'm on Max No.4, so I know which one I would choose... And the Pyga has a 5 yr frame warranty if I remember correctly.

Tom

Disclaimer ... when I die they going to bury me with my TB

Ok so it's a TB LT .. the first one .. I've had it 6 years ... I've ridden 7 colours of snot out of that thing ... and it still puts lead in my pencil .. I have two other very capable bikes in my stable, but if I had to make the painful choice of having to downscale and only keep one .. it would be the TB every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

There you go, not biased at all ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys.

A bike I would also seriously consider, and the one I almost bought would be a Ibis Ripley LS , that bike just rips ... but I've had 4 Ibis bikes and wanted to try something new. and I am not regretting it.

To be honest now days you cant really buy a bad bike, they are all so good and capable.

And yet I would put the TB as a Race/Trail, but more trail .

Bike shop charged me R600 to press new bearings into the links...they did not replace the whole unit ... just the bearings