Is this what I think it is?

Rouxenator

Spent 2 hours hunting creaks on a Scalpel yesterday, it was the chainring. Plenty threads around with lists of stuff to check, and you get to ignore half of them cos you're on a HT...

As for that mark, I'll put a sixer of your favourite beer on it being a dent from an overtorqued FD clamp. So don't panic unless it looks like it's moving.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding the creak on a bicycle is a pain in the butt...

It can be anything. I used elimination to find my creak. Ended up being my pedals which needed new grease.

As s14phoenix said, it can be the chainrings bolts too.

oh yes... my selle saddle likes creaking where the rails go into the saddle base...

The cheap ass (pun intended) Marvel saddle on their has some scuff marks on the rails where it goes on the seatpost. I cleaned it and greased it, might just swap it out for a spare Selle that is lying in the spares box. 

About the Revel, it got stolen way back, replaced it with a Talon, cracked it a year later, replaced the frame, cracked it 6 months later, replaced the frame and sold it. Bought this Sola used and have been happy ever since. 

What cassette are you using? If it's a normal splined freewheel for Shimano and not an XD driver, then put a little grease on the splines. I have found over the years that some cassettes tend to creak under load - the grease solves this problem.

The cheap ass (pun intended) Marvel saddle on their has some scuff marks on the rails where it goes on the seatpost. I cleaned it and greased it, might just swap it out for a spare Selle that is lying in the spares box. 

About the Revel, it got stolen way back, replaced it with a Talon, cracked it a year later, replaced the frame, cracked it 6 months later, replaced the frame and sold it. Bought this Sola used and have been happy ever since. 

Daaaaaaamn... check bottle cage bolts also.

On another note - dusty cleats a and shoes have creaked plenty also.

Sounds like you need a full strip down wash and lube on everything. Have had cassettes creak also from dust - typically between the freebody and cassette itself.

Ek smeer alles met grease :lol: ... marine waterproof grease - doesn't wash out but not cheap.

What cassette are you using? If it's a normal splined freewheel for Shimano and not an XD driver, then put a little grease on the splines. I have found over the years that some cassettes tend to creak under load - the grease solves this problem.

oh snap. :thumbup:

Another funny one is the headset spacer creaks... I thought I had a creaky steerer and then when it wasn't - yup - greased the spacers - no more creak.

Edited by s14phoenix

I'm so glad i'm hard of hearing... My bike can be screaming at me 6 ways from Sunday and I wouldn't know. 

my wife said the same thing about me... however I seem to hear every part squeak...

Had a creak on a Cannondale Flash once that I struggled to find. Turned out to be one of the bottle cage bolts on the seat tube that was rubbing against the seatpost. Who would have thought?

Its definitely a crack/snapped replace the frame with a shiny new one ASAP!

Good luck finding that creak its a pain....

For me it was the seatpost creaking in the frame. I put some copperslip in there and it creaked no more. But yes a creak can come from anywhere and drive you insane.

Either replace BB bearings or pop the seals and push fresh grease.

The second one solved my nearly new MTB from creaking!