Shorts or Bib ?

ChrisF

Each to his own. I wear shorts. Works for me. 

Why change if you had no issues with shorts?

Easy on. Easy off if you need to pee or poo.

And yes, I have bibs in the drawer. I have buttocks to keep my shorts up. And no boep.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one here who prefers shorts, I have a bib and it comes out of the closet dead last.

I'd only even consider wearing them on shirt rides as with long ones they end up chafing shoulders and nipples,and they just all round uncomfortable.

Dunno what shirts you guys are wearing if your crack is sticking out, but if you buying cycling ones, the backs are longer than normal shirts, and hell even when I wear shorts with a vest I have no cracking issues.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

This

Bibs all the way.

If you want to be cool on a mtb, wear baggies over your bibs.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each to his own. I wear shorts. Works for me. 

Why change if you had no issues with shorts?

Easy on. Easy off if you need to pee or poo.

And yes, I have bibs in the drawer. I have buttocks to keep my shorts up. And no boep.

Probably my main reason for starting this thread.

I have NO complaints with my decent shorts.

That said, getting to that point in life where I listen to others, even if my current setup seems to do the job .... every so often there is something that does the job just a little bit better .....

I take note of all the input, and thanks to one and all for a nice balanced (non Friday) feedback, I will have to sleep over this one ....

Probably my main reason for starting this thread.

I have NO complaints with my decent shorts.

That said, getting to that point in life where I listen to others, even if my current setup seems to do the job .... every so often there is something that does the job just a little bit better .....

I take note of all the input, and thanks to one and all for a nice balanced (non Friday) feedback, I will have to sleep over this one ....

Problem with things like this specifically is its all personal preferences. There are pros and cons but those are also somewhat personal, I liked the bib at the start, and for the saddle are it's very comfortable, but as I move around on the bike the straps cause irritations, while with shorts I have no irritations or issues of any kind and I have done 70k+ rides in my shorts and baggies.

Like runners and shoes, cyclists and shorts are a personal choice based on comfort and specific requirements.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

I am always shopping around for decent shorts and prefer them to bibs .If shorts fit well i will use them for every ride .They keep your thighs warm in winter and i have somewhere to put my phone and earphones .And yes i have assos,craft ext bibs .Always try shorts/baggies on before you buy and make sure they fit well 

Edited by Blitzer

Definitely shorts. Never tried a bib amd I'm not sure what the advantages are. My shorts don't move at all

This is exactly how I felt until I tried bibs. Now I'm a complete convert. Pretty much only use the shorts I still have on the IDT. Bibs for all "proper" rides.

You're probably using cheaper bibs... Not a Diss, just the problem I had with very low cost bibs...

Or his bibs are the wrong size maybe?

But bodies differ, so sizing is hard.

Used shorts a long time ago (80's to early 90's). After awhile I actually used clip-on suspenders to keep em up. Thankfully bibs came along. Will never go back to shorts again.

Bibs before shorts. And no baggies with built-in chamois things. Those are the worst of all worlds. Modern shorts might be better, but the ones when I still used them were horrible.

Bibs under baggies for long rides, but sometimes just a normal seamless onderbroek or commando. Commando is surprisingly comfy, as the insane amounts of ventilation wicks away any sweat.

I do all my rides I'm baggies. But that is purely because I don't want to look like someone who started riding because his personal banker told him it's the new cool sport and it's a great way to meet potential clients. Or worse, look like someone who walked into a larney shop saying: "I don't have a clue about bikes, but here is my credit card, give me one of everything."

Baggies with loose shirts with simple designs. (Except for my Craft W2W shirt, that thing is do comfy that I've waived my fashion idiosyncrasies for it.)

But I can hardly be described as a paragon of cycling fashion as I don't wear fruit salad socks, I sometimes wear knee pads, my legs are hairy and I've been known to ride with a backpack, or even worse, a fanny pack.

may I be the first one to say bibs?

The only place I would say a short is better is when you are doing short IDT type training.

Shorts are generally less expensive than bibs and indoor training seems to wear out clothing a lot faster.

I would wear shorts for IDT training. (Not that I do, but I just gave myself an idea.)

Bibs or bust for me.  Started with shorts but after buying my first bib I never turned back.

Only time where a short would be better is maybe if you have the runs or are full of cr@p  :ph34r:

This is exactly how I felt until I tried bibs. Now I'm a complete convert. Pretty much only use the shorts I still have on the IDT. Bibs for all "proper" rides.

Had the same experience as you, I always thought my shorts were fine until I bought a pair of bibs for longer rides. I only ride with bibs now, the shorts just feels too loose to fit comfortably.