Saddle sores - do I pop/lance or not?

I used to worry about sores a lot, used creams before and after rides and and...

After Epic last year I stopped caring. Just keeping my bibs clean now. Commuting twice every day. Guess what: All great, no sores. 

Bottom line, keep your butt clean and never ride your bibs twice, ever, ..and you should be fine...

As to your current situation: give it few days and let it heal. Go running instead. Great for your core!.. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sores in that area...I'd be careful to pop. If very red and tender, I'd recommend getting it checked out. Early antibiotics can prevent abscess formation. Worst thing would be to lance a clean fluid cyst. Cause an abscess. Break trough to a fistula and have a defuntioning colostomy whilst your proctologist makes dosh plus plus with your n+1 funds. Google perianal fistula. It's just the way the soft tissue planes let infection spread that is annoying AF. One of the reasons doctors advise to present early with any infection around any of your 3 eyes.

Edited by PKotze

Lance knows what to do..........but he has been excommunicated and cannot help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gees, all this talk of deviated rectums makes me glad I got a teared anus shot.

Edit: Dr Google says it is tetanus.

Edited by Thor Buttox

So this is something I started a few years back, and seeing as I don't ride much due to running it has helped me a lot, anything under 30km no bib/cycling shorts, if it is an hour or 90min on indoor trainer or just a quick spruit ash then I cycle in normal running shorts. It is really not that bad and you get used to it quick but then when you put on cycling shorts for a 100+km ride your bum is a bit tougher...

The cold water wash used on synthetics is not such an effective disinfectant. From time to time soak your bib-shorts in appropriately diluted detol or savlon for 10 minutes before throwing them in the wash.

• 2 months later...

I used to get those too but then i just swopped out the **** saddle i was riding to something that had a better fit on my sit bones and Vwala!!! No problems since ????

I always pop. Usually just by squeezing it hard. Flippin sore and when it does go its a murder scene. Sterilize the area etc etc? Pfffft. Pop it, wipe the blood with some TP, put your siht on and go ride your bike.

I always pop. Usually just by squeezing it hard. Flippin sore and when it does go its a murder scene. Sterilize the area etc etc? Pfffft. Pop it, wipe the blood with some TP, put your siht on and go ride your bike.

Solid advice. Any doctor's dream. You are good for income.

Seeing that there's absolutely no good advice in this thread, here's the answer to all your problems:

post-19039-0-73556100-1534309702_thumb.jpg

No more sore arse, and you get stronger legs for peddling a heavier bike!

If its something that is already somewhat open to the environment like an ingrown hair, opening it and cleaning would probably be okay...

If its purely internal like, you’d better keep that sterile and let the Doc drain it if need be...

Follow V12s advice and wipe the area with alcohol before/after a ride to help toughen up the skin and keep the area clean...

If its something that is already somewhat open to the environment like an ingrown hair, opening it and cleaning would probably be okay...

If its purely internal like, you’d better keep that sterile and let the Doc drain it if need be...

Follow V12s advice and wipe the area with alcohol before/after a ride to help toughen up the skin and keep the area clean...

I do my own stunts  :lol: