Coffee without milk to boost the engine

Some days I use banana bread or those hot cross bunny things

When I race with the snakes, I use Cadence Carbfuel and gels

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or a ham and cheese.... on white..... nice soft fresh white....    :)

we were running the mnweni marathon route for fun last year, at the top of rockeries we took 5 mins to chow, one guy pulled out a chicken mayo roll you can be sure it made every one of us trying to smash down bars jealous.

On short training rides (<1.5h) I just take water.

For longer rides I'll take 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of energade/powerade and an energy bar or two (I like the PVM ones).

For races I take the same liquids but with Gu's instead of the energy bars because they are much easier to force down while on the rivet (not that I am particularly fast but chewing when you are already struggling to get enough oxygen is not ideal).

For MTB it's the same but I take a camelback with water rather than a second bottle because my frame only takes one.

Then a nice chocolate milk for after the ride.

I concur with the trend here, Stiaan'

Water with electrolytes

Banana is the bomb

Coffee without milk to boost the engine

Some days I use banana bread or those hot cross bunny things

When I race with the snakes, I use Cadence Carbfuel and gels

I want to give banana bread a try. How do you store it in your pocket and does it hold up on longer riders, or hot days, or wet days?

After lots of experimenting with gels and bars I found that a snickers bar works the best for me, I don't know why, but it just works. Mission to chew at 175 to 185 bpm tho

Stiaan: if you ask 10 cyclists your query, you'll get 11 answers (you may have noticed). But you'll soon find out that what works for one, might not work for you. Also, what works for you today, might not work in the future. So try and experiment. You're going to be doing that anyway, (tyre pressure, chain lube, saddle, shorts, gloves, helmet) so keep tabs on your nutrition too. Keep it simple and don't change too much at once.

And when you've figured it out, let us know. Perhaps you find that 'silver bullet' we're all after

Have fun! and good luck

Odd combo for me. Anything longer than 3 hours I start adding re-hydrate of some sort to my water. Rides shorter than 3 hours I take a LOT of water, and 1 bottle mixed 50/50 either berry juice and water or Coca Cola and water.

I want to give banana bread a try. How do you store it in your pocket and does it hold up on longer riders, or hot days, or wet days?

After lots of experimenting with gels and bars I found that a snickers bar works the best for me, I don't know why, but it just works. Mission to chew at 175 to 185 bpm tho

Silver foil works ok - there is a special way to fold it - I know how but couldn't explain it I tried... but adding some butter makes it easier to swallow.... can be a bit dry....

Silver foil works ok - there is a special way to fold it - I know how but couldn't explain it I tried... but adding some butter makes it easier to swallow.... can be a bit dry....

Not so fast. A man with your level of education, intelligence and initiative cannot wriggle out of this one. If you do not explain to the hub, like we are 2 years old, how to fold the foil, i will ask Mr BeeSlow to deal with you vewwy vewwy woughly.

Not so fast. A man with your level of education, intelligence and initiative cannot wriggle out of this one. If you do not explain to the hub, like we are 2 years old, how to fold the foil, i will ask Mr BeeSlow to deal with you vewwy vewwy woughly.

ok - I will look for a video...

Thick wedge slices

Baked with moistness left

Foil

No butter required if it’s made with love