Biogen Nutrition

Fruit cake, like the type Woolies sells is also brilliant. And it has an advantage over banana bread in that is less dry and far more compact.

Hint: Nibble rather than downing big lumps. Your gut becomes a bit sensitive, especially if you are new to the sport and nibbling allows you to back off if you start to feel sick.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thick wedge slices

Baked with moistness left

Foil

No butter required if it’s made with love

Sounds like you already have a winning recipe?

Lekker small boiled potatoes with a touch of butter and salt, wrapped individually in foil.

With or without the skin?

This just made me think of boiled eggs as an idea as well... Hmmm

With skin, keeps it real. Bolied eggs with a touch of salt are also lekker. I also like thinly sliced biltong occasionally. It works for me, but I'm no Dietitian...

Thick wedge slices

Baked with moistness left

Foil

No butter required if it’s made with love

Cling wrap is easier to stow away in back pocket. I like Woolies Xtra Spicy HotX buns wiff cheese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Short training ride (< 2 hours): water

Longer rides: game / water and game

Ultra rides: real food, eg stop for chips / milkshake

Races: ( A/B bunch or faster): Game in the bottles and a few (max 3) gel sachets

The secret is that the training is mostly without carbs, and generally, except for some of the longer stuff, without eating beforehand

Welcome to the world of "trial and error". Nutrition, like deciding on the brand of bike to buy, is dependant on the individual.

Get your ride nutrition wrong - you'll know it when you look for a spot to "ralph" or hit the "wall".

Give all the opinions a go. The wierdest, strangest sounding one might be the best. Ever!

Recently I tried something different, I did not have anything for energy with the ride for sight and put some BCAA in my 1 bottle and I felt stronger for longer and no usual headache afterwards, maybe the clever guys can back this one or dismiss as my imagination.

• 1 year later...

Guys I need some advice. With Attakwas around the corner and me doing my first one, I did some research on the sponsor as I would like to do some training with their products, especially the drinks so that I can tuck in at the waterpoints. It also reduces the amount of stuff I need to carry with me on the bike. I did try one of their gels this weekend and not sure if it helped me. I have used the Hammer gels in the past. What are your guys thoughts on the Biogen drinks and gels? 

I have been competing on a combination of their Cytogen (carbs + electrolytes) and fruit gels + FarBars and have been very happy. I also use their pre-workout and plant based protein when I train. 

You can't go wrong with Powerbar. I have used a lot of products over the years, GU, FIT, Biogen, USN.

Prefer powerbar, isoactive for training and then isomax for racing.