[Event] EWC Round 1 Hoogekraal

Dan Dob

Stop sand bagging - you're a local and probably fast as fk on  the descents. That said, maybe wear some baggies over the lycra and long sleeves up top. 

I reckon some egos are going to be dented on Sunday. 

YUP. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop sand bagging - you're a local and probably fast as fk on  the descents. That said, maybe wear some baggies over the lycra and long sleeves up top. 

I reckon some egos are going to be dented on Sunday. 

Egos? Because we "pinners" WILL be beaten by many more marathon/XCO oriented peeps? Lol...no bruising here, we're ALL used to it, especially on the less tech stuff like this.

Confused....

Registered and paid for Full Enduro ...R364 ex CSA licence

Email confirmation received but category: LITE Men.....

From entry page, LITE is only 3 stages but I want to do all 5 stages.....

Daniel/Harry, wassup?

We are hoping to grow the sports numbers while keeping the queues etc to a minimum so that once we consistently have 200+ riders at each race the race fee can drop (one of our main goals as we know it's expensive) but we have to grow numbers and provide good race experiences for that to happen and then we're hoping it'll become a more sustainable practice for racers and organisers alike.

Hope that answers your question and no hard feelings on asking it as we used to wonder why too! Hoping you have a blast at your first Enduro on Sunday!

Curious to know how do you expect to lower the entry fees if you capped this event at 200 entrants?

Curious to know how do you expect to lower the entry fees if you capped this event at 200 entrants?

Good question!

I suppose if the thought was only to cater for 200 then that's fine (Not like we've seen an Enduro here in CT with that many riders yet).

Initial capital needs to cover mos. So maybe they could only budget on materials and equipment for 200 riders now.

Good question!

I suppose if the thought was only to cater for 200 then that's fine (Not like we've seen an Enduro here in CT with that many riders yet).

Initial capital needs to cover mos. So maybe they could only budget on materials and equipment for 200 riders now.

Not only that, but to allow for more riders, they need to buy more wrist watch units, and those are not cheap.

I think they capped it at 200, with enough watches for two hundred, and are pleasantly surprised with the response.

The previous WP Enduro's Achilles heel was the timing. This year the new committee put a bunch of money in up front to pay for the hardware. Fortunately the coding and development they could save on by getting people like Pieter Henning to help out. I know many a Saturday was spent building prototypes.

Entries are directly related to income. They will have a baseline breakeven point with the corresponding amount of entries needed to cover costs.

So if they get enough entries I assume the profits will be used to acquire more watches and cover the overheads of the next events.

If it was me, I'd keep entry fees the same for all three events this year, build up a reserve if there is money left after event expenses, and use that reserve to see if I can get entry fees lower for next year. Build a base, build a reserve, and then start lowering entry fees. Or keep them the same if the costs escalate.

What we also might forget, is that Dan and Harry is still in their busy season with tourists. If they spend a day riding Hoogekraal to map out routes, that is half a day they can't guide and can't generate income. So the project becomes an after hours project. Dan has a young family, time not spent there means his wife picks up the slack. Flip, I'm feeling selfish already for taking Sunday to go Marshall, and that's only half a day.

Scanned quickly, but not found.

Spectators: Are we allowed to ride our bikes to the various spots to spectate, or not. If I cycle from Faircape side, are we allowed on Welvergenoegd and where are we not allowed. Trying to get to top of Cobra without having to do Spykers.

I believe iRide said "once we consistently have 200+ riders at each race the race fee can drop"

No mention of capping

Scanned quickly, but not found.

Spectators: Are we allowed to ride our bikes to the various spots to spectate, or not. If I cycle from Faircape side, are we allowed on Welvergenoegd and where are we not allowed. Trying to get to top of Cobra without having to do Spykers.

Pretty sure you're not allowed on the trails with a bike unless you're part of it, so you'll have to walk up I'm afraid.