[Event] EWC Round 1 Hoogekraal

Dan Dob

I tell you what, time stood still...my brain could not compute...I thought WTF!!!...there was nothing in the way!!!??? Softest landing from OTB I ever had!

I was poked by the bottom of Cobra trying to make up time and didn't hear what Pieter said when I clocked out until I reviewed the video..... @ 02:19........."Tony? Hit the ground again???"   Cheeky bugger!!!

And my mate calling me a "crashologist"....that hurt!!!! (who by the way didn't even feather his brakes behind me one tiny little bit..granted, he did call out the perfunctory "Are you OK?" as he sped by)...

Ah well podiums be damned! I had great fun!!!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of crash is more of a riding error than set up. Remember Thirions crash last year at Leogang I think.

Those TTs have a relatively tall steep ramp. If you don't commit properly, i.e pump off the lip and pull the front up properly, you at risk of a bucking. I did the same on a smaller natural yump thing a few years back. There's plenty of time to have several "Oh ****" moments before you slam. 

True, but it's often times a combination of the two. Luckily I've never had a big buck'aroo like that which I couldn't ride out.

I must admit was a little hurt by the colour choice, there must have been something other than pink available? Yellow? Neon green? Anything! I know it's trivial but the sad reality is pink is widely associated with women. But my gender studies warped brain aside: looked like a great event well done!  :clap:

One way to look at it is that pink was originally the colour for boys back in the day and blue was for girls. New princes were wrapped in pink and girls were swaddled in light blue. 

Either way, I'll be too busy looking at the trail than worrying about hues and shades. 

One way to look at it is that pink was originally the colour for boys back in the day and blue was for girls. New princes were wrapped in pink and girls were swaddled in light blue. 

Either way, I'll be too busy looking at the trail than worrying about hues and shades. 

don't forget, Meezo still has your DHF 29x2.5 :blush: :whistling:

Softest landing because you took out the nice big bush :D

I was so chuffed to see Duane there huffing and puffing-didn't know he had it in him to push that hard! Contermanskloof will be less pedally and might have a few nice surprises

OI! I'm not THAT useless.

don't forget, Meezo still has your DHF 29x2.5 :blush: :whistling:

I can't forget that! Let's make a plan and I can see how that goes against the Butcher. 

True, but it's often times a combination of the two. Luckily I've never had a big buck'aroo like that which I couldn't ride out.

I think those jumps need to be looked at TBH. The speed at which you hit them at doesn't correlate with the angle of the lips. By the time people got there they were pretty poked. I'm actually surprised more people didn't end themselves.

There were a few bits on stage two that were also a bit bucky. But maybe that's just me.

Aaaaand Que the "learn to ride properly" chirps from everyone.  

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Jeez, are we really bothered by the use of pink for chicken lines?  I'd prefer neon yellow, but that's because I'm color blind.

Someone please tell the Donald to activate the nukes. We're done here.

I think those jumps need to be looked at TBH. The speed at which you hit them at doesn't correlate with the angle of the lips. By the time people got there they were pretty poked. I'm actually surprised more people didn't end themselves.

Duane, this is South Africa. Tabletops are small and steep, because...well who knows.

And my mate calling me a "crashologist"....that hurt!!!! (who by the way didn't even feather his brakes behind me one tiny little bit..granted, he did call out the perfunctory "Are you OK?" as he sped by)...

I had an Ivo chasing me down.

I caught that guy with the lumo bike where the trail splits on Cobra and stupidly followed him. (It was my 3rd time down that trail) We both came to a complete stop. 2 puzzlers trying to figure out where the trail goes.

If you think pink is for girls you are the problem Nick ;) We used pink because it's bright and can be seen for miles so eyes are drawn to it and we'd rather have riders riding the easier lines than the advanced lines (also pink and blue were the only colours available :)

and Jack Moir wears pink gloves ... and they are certainly now slowing "Shark Attack" down at all.... so pink is good.

LOW0371.jpg

There were a few bits on stage two that were also a bit bucky. But maybe that's just me.

"learn to ride slower"

Duane, this is South Africa. Tabletops are small and steep, because...well who knows.

I wish all trail builders in this country would go to whistler, Europe or even the UK to actually see and get inspired and do that stuff here. Sigh

Ironically those little jumps are much more dangerous that big ones. On a big jump where both wheels are on the face your bike just follows the natural arc. On little ones your rear is still compressing while the front is in the air.

Hence Buck!

Ok back to the event. Sorry for the hijack.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Nope. Not just you. You have to squash the HECK out of them just to hope to get them right, and even then you flatland them. Very short lips, way too short for the speed you carry down there. 

Spoke to Bennett after tho, and he said he was gonna try and fix em properly when maintenance time comes.