• 56/57
    • 58/59
    • 60/61
    • 62/63
    • 64/65
    • 66/67
    • 68/69
    • To infinity and beyond!

All hubbers are mammals, although there could be some cold blooded reptilians.

Being a MAMIL is a special designation (possibly sexist) for a select group

I resent been called a mammal, that is speciasim

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now now now ....

we both know that when you were his age we did NOT have PC's .... I mean, these kids dont even know what a "logbook" is, nor can they do maths without a calculator - YES, there was a time when us ou toppies did maths in our head ....

"the web" was something a spider spun to catch flies ....

What's a logbook? I might love arithmetic, but Grease Monkey and I only differ by 4 years.

What's a logbook? I might love arithmetic, but Grease Monkey and I only differ by 4 years.

aaaiii die kinders van vandag ..  :devil:

post-110956-0-88171100-1523357974_thumb.jpg

http://www.mathlogarithms.com/images/ExplainingLogarithms.pdf

next you going to tell me you have never seen the wire-and-battery-less-calculator -

post-110956-0-54404700-1523358062_thumb.jpg

I have an old school lecturer .... he pushes us to do a mental calc WHILE using our calculators, and to check the answer .... half a lifetime later, still do it .... (never did get the hang of the slide rule though, just too young for that)

aaaiii die kinders van vandag .. [emoji317]

attachicon.gifLogtable.jpg

next you going to tell me you have never seen the wire-and-battery-less-calculator -

attachicon.gifFigure1_Multiplication_C-D.jpg

I have an old school lecturer .... he pushes us to do a mental calc WHILE using our calculators, and to check the answer .... half a lifetime later, still do it .... (never did get the hang of the slide rule though, just too young for that)

jeez, you must be at least 200 years old? ????

Edit: apparently I'm to old to know how to add a tongue in cheek smiley thing.

Doh!

Edited by PhilipV

aaaiii die kinders van vandag .. [emoji317]

When my folks moved from their house my old man got rid of the facit mechanical calculator be had that we used to play with as kids. Incredible piece of "machinery" Edited by Stretch

http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Class/Figure1_Multiplication_C-D.jpg

Used these at Varsity. First year maths was all about learning how a slide rule worked and learning how log tables are set up.

Fark, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away!

Used these at Varsity. First year maths was all about learning how a slide rule worked and learning how log tables are set up.

LOL Yeah and how often do you need to do those calculations and use those logs??

Makes one wonder on the logic of all that learning

LOL Yeah and how often do you need to do those calculations and use those logs??

I dunno.. But I can tell you one thing.. My old man's arithmetic is far superior to mine and I can say without a shadow of doubt that that is because he grew up pre calculators etc

Maybe I was lucky, well sort off ....

In the 80's when I was in high school we were one of three or four schools to test out the use of calculators.  Throughout my engineering studies I saw the impact of new technology on the way the next generations was taught.

Since I work in the engineering sector I still do calcs day in day out .... often with a calculator, but for the repetitive stuff I set my own spreadsheets.  In my game no two jobs are identical, but at least I can set up my sheets so that I know what to change to make my next job a bit easier ....

Starting off with the BBC single floppy disc PC's I have lived through a most interesting period ....

I was fortunate to have a few OLD SCHOOL lecturers that took the time to show us "how" that maths worked.  When dealing with massive engineering formulae you had better understand the "how" and the "why" to be able to get the answers .....

Same as studying "matrix" maths today ..... still it IS the cornerstone of advanced programming ...

Douglas Adams, is that you?

aaaiii die kinders van vandag ..  :devil:

As an engineering undergrad back in the early 80s (last century!), we were taught never to do a calculation until you had first estimated the answer in your head. Dial forward to the last 10-15 years when I have been involved with teaching engineering to young brewers and I saw the real benefit of this approach and passed it on e.g. in calculating how much raw material to use to make a certain beer you'd get calculation answers from a few g to a few T, when the actual answer was a few kg!

Having a rule-of-thumb in your head, tempered by a rough mental calculation goes a long way to giving confidence in the result of a formal calculation. I see lots of people using apps (when did they stop being called programs?) to do basic calculations, but with no idea what the basis of the calculation is in the app, what the assumptions are etc. Great for speed and ease of access but they move you a few steps away from understanding what you are doing....... 

Edited by Fat Boab

• 4 weeks later...

There's been no further movement on this thread since about 3 weeks back so I thought i'd perform a quick summary.

Age group 10 to 19 number total 1 and account for 0.20% of the 505 "cast votes" thus far

Age group 20-29 number 60 total and account for 11.88%

Age group 30-39 number 160 total and account for 31.68%

Age group 40-49 number 165 total and account for 32.67%

Age group 50-59 number 95 total and account for 18.82%

Age group 60-69 number 18 total and account for 3.56%

Age group 70 and beyond number 6 and account for 1.19%

If Admin stats on the previous survey it would be interesting to see how it compares