Welded shut pedestrian gate: what action and who to contact?

ByronH

Hi all

So I have no idea how to address this, so just putting it out there hoping someone has a logical answer...

The pedestrian gate (usually open) between Woodside avenue and Sandton Drive, Sandown was welded shut a few weeks ago.. not locked, and then opened during daylight hours.... which I understand is the normal practice...

Its just welded closed... Who normally gets access to do this? Or has this been done illegally? Who can I contact to raise this issue? I tweeted Joburg City and they didn't respond (I dont have enough followers)..

It was one of the only pedestrian and cyclist commuter access points between the suburbs and Sandton drive. So a major convenience. However, it has now become a security risk as somebody has now basically just destroyed a few columns of the palisade fence next to the gate to go through right where a vagrant has set up his 'lie-down'... 

post-41779-0-81434300-1523881269_thumb.jpg

post-41779-0-66511100-1523881255_thumb.jpg

Hi all

So I have no idea how to address this, so just putting it out there hoping someone has a logical answer...

The pedestrian gate (usually open) between Woodside avenue and Sandton Drive, Sandown was welded shut a few weeks ago.. not locked, and then opened during daylight hours.... which I understand is the normal practice...

Its just welded closed... Who normally gets access to do this? Or has this been done illegally? Who can I contact to raise this issue? I tweeted Joburg City and they didn't respond (I dont have enough followers)..

It was one of the only pedestrian and cyclist commuter access points between the suburbs and Sandton drive. So a major convenience. However, it has now become a security risk as somebody has now basically just destroyed a few columns of the palisade fence next to the gate to go through right where a vagrant has set up his 'lie-down'... 

attachicon.gifopen pedestrian gate.jpg

attachicon.gifwelded pedestrian gate.png.jpg

I am keen on the replies on this matter as I also use this gate on my bike commute to work and back....................as you say, a big inconvenience....... :(

Hi Byron ,

I have being in this situation

Some resident is desperate to secure his area .

So the real question is - How does one weigh up your  "major /big inconvenience " against his families  daily safety ??

You may well win in the legal sense but you will compromise his safety 

Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands.

I agree with Milosh that its probably a resident in the area who has had issues or is worried about safety.

Grind the welding off and put in a decent padlock, use it for access and lock it..........put a sign on with your details and you can give keys out to like minded people........

Hi Byron ,

So the real question is - How does one weigh up your  "major /big inconvenience " against his families  daily safety ??

Ya so I absolutely thought about this... would hate to compromise someone's else's permanent safety for my convenience....

The problem is that unfortunately with the part of the fence next to this gate having been destroyed already... the residents safety still remains compromised anyway.

A lockable pedestrian gate (manned by security... i think its CSS in that area) would actually be better.

The question is, is that a thoroughfare, or just a convenient place for people to get through a gated property. If its just for convenience sake, you will be hard pressed to do anything against it and will just need to go further down Sandton drive to access Sandhurst. If its a designated thoroughfare lodge a complaint to the local residence association because its illegal to have it permanently locked.
Just don't go reporting it to council just yet as that it another can of worms entirely.  

As much as a resident may want to increase their safety you cannot simply go out and do your own thing, that gate is there for a reason and probably saves commuters a hellavu long walk  - I am talking about those people who rely on public transport/taxi's to get within proximity of their place of employ and then still have to walk a portion of their route to work.

* Assuming of course that the gate is not on private property - in which case do as you wish landowner

Hi Byron ,

So the real question is - How does one weigh up your "major /big inconvenience " against his families daily safety ??

It’s the criminals who compromise our safety.

Report it to the Johannesburg Roads Agency.  They take this sort of thing seriously and enforce the rules attached to gated communities quite swiftly. 

I've had a positive experience with them in the past, among other things we had a construction company closing a lane and forcing a stop-go in Illovo in front of their building site without required approval and the JRA shut them down within 48 hours.  Same thing when somebody put up a boom without permission on an access road.

If that gate is supposed to be open as is the case with the cul de sac entrances on the opposite side of Sandton Drive they'll enforce it.  If it is private property with no allocated thoroughfare and the owner was simply leaving it open for the sake of playing nice you may be out of luck.  It really is worth reporting, these guys are responsive.

Contact the local ward councillor of the of that area and let him do the investigation . He will have the departments on call that need to be contacted . 

Hi Byron ,

Come now. Lets have a look at the fence in question shall we?

post-41779-0-81434300-1523881269.jpg

The only criminal that fence will keep out is Muttley

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/muttley.jpg

Hi Byron ,

that fence would possibly keep out a one legged hobbit but almost every criminal in jozi could hop that fence in a second ...so the gate being closed just messes with ordinary honest peoples access. :whistling:

Hi Byron ,

It's not "His" area .. its the public's area and public thoroughfare...  we all cant just decide to block public access because we want to.. 

Archived